AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 12-10-2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
No Eva Cassidy in HD digital downloads ...

How about Holly Cole "Temptation"... anyone know this album... great ratings on the DSD, compared against the best of the best vinyl pressings.
The sound is incredible, but not a great album in my opinion. I like don't smoke in bed better.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:03 AM

The sound really is incredible... The Don't Smoke In Bed also has great DSD rating... so will have to get that one also....
Old 12-10-2015, 06:35 AM

Using Youtube more and more to find new music, everyday one hour at luchtime with a good pair of headphones and DAC/AMP.

Some great recordings,
KEXP, Sharon van Etten, Tarifa (great vocals and backing vocals)
3FM (live) come live the life - k's choice (minimal set up, fantastic song, and love Sarah Bettens voice)
Live on Letterman, concerts from Mumford & Sons, and Foo Fighters are fantastic (Everlong sounds great)

If you search on KEXP or Live on Letterman you will find more musical jewels.

Have fun !!

Olaf
Old 12-10-2015, 10:21 AM

The two Holly Cole albums seem pretty darn good. Got to give them a real listen to later today.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:53 PM

Ok, a first impression on all these wonderful new albums. So far I have purchased two albums of each of these great artist. Everyone one are fantastic recordings, some of the best I have heard!

Shelby Lynne; one is maybe the best album I have ever heard, the other is good, but not as good.

Norah Jones; simply amazing voice, her first album is really growing on me and I am sure her second one will also.

Holly Cole; great voice, both albums are great recordings. Both are kind of mellow and if you are in the mood, highly recommended.

Diana Krall; another amazing voice, very inviting and definitely growing on me... very much mood music!

Rickie Lee Jones; fantastic recordings, very different, second listening grew on me much more than the first listen. I believe I will grow to really enjoy her music, if in the right mood.

I would say the Holly Cole, Diana Krall, and Rickie Lee Jones are very much Jazz oriented. Although I tried very hard back in my younger audiophile days, I never gain a real appreciation of jazz music. These three ladies have given me an insight into a form of jazz that I do really like and will probably grow to love!

I would also say that Shelby Lynne and Norah Jones have country leanings. Again, never acquired a huge taste for country music, but these two ladies have made me real believer. Some fantastic music, and totally loving it!

So just my first impressions, take it as you will....

Last edited by Randy Myers; 12-10-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Racing Hoopties

Randy,

If you are enjoying these other fine ladies, do not pass up getting some Eva Cassidy. No matter what format as long as it is CD or better. Her 16/44.1 FLAC is great and she is awesome.

Craig
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 12-10-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Randy,

If you are enjoying these other fine ladies, do not pass up getting some Eva Cassidy. No matter what format as long as it is CD or better. Her 16/44.1 FLAC is great and she is awesome.

Craig
Agree, I was thinking of bringing this up to you earlier. Do NOT allow bitrates to stop you from listening to some of the best music ever made. 16/44 sounds fine.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:49 PM

Well next time at the store I might look for some of her music. Do you have a favorite album?
Old 12-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
Well next time at the store I might look for some of her music. Do you have a favorite album?
These are my favorite. Do you have a Tidal or Deezer account you can stream from? Could try that first.

1 - Live at Blues Alley
2 - Songbird
3- Simply Eva
4 - greatest hits...
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 12-10-2015, 04:41 PM
Racing Hoopties

I am currently digging Brandi Carlile's - The Firewatcher's Daughter. Not sure if it is available in high res though. I got this from the recent post of NPR's top fifty.