AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 11-21-2013, 12:18 AM

Keep em coming boys
Old 05-15-2014, 11:26 PM

Watching some NHRA last week. Did you know that Jesse James (of West Coast Choppers and Sandra Bullock fame) is married to Alexis DeJoria. A 27 yr. old female funny car driver who drives for Kalitta Racing. The car is sponsored by Patron Tequila. Patron was founded and is owned by her billionaire father who is also the co-founder of Paul Mitchell hair care products. Jesse James also sponsors a car under Jesse James Firearms Ltd. He makes custom firearms.
Jesse is still a jerk for what he did to Sandra.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
Unless you have some pretty serious horsepower I don't know how one would loose control like that unless they had some sort of mechanical failure. Good thing you got the hole-shot otherwise he may have collected you on his way to the wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
Oh, he had HP and some torque as well...it's a C5 Z06 with the 6 spd manual. Some of my friends noted he lost traction when he hit second gear and instead of backing out of it, he tried to drive through it. He hit the wall on his side of the track, it turned his passenger side front wheel under the car and it immediately made a u-turn over to my side of the track.

I had the advantage of more HP and torque than he did plus a few runs under my belt so my R/T was was improving.

Even so, it was weird to see that black thing flash across the track behind me.

Here's the aftermath...a picture I took after the run:

I've come to realize that "most" Corvette owners have no clue at all on how to actually drive and handle their car. On top of that, they add even more power to them, making things even worse.

Like the clip above. Instead of being cautious and letting off, he figured he'd be a big "man" and power through it. Look where that got him.

Sorry for sounding bitter, but Vetts and their owners have put me off in a bad way over the years. One of the reasons I don't like Vetts in the first place.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:09 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops-tube View Post
I've come to realize that "most" Corvette owners have no clue at all on how to actually drive and handle their car. On top of that, they add even more power to them, making things even worse. Like the clip above. Instead of being cautious and letting off, he figured he'd be a big "man" and power through it. Look where that got him. Sorry for sounding bitter, but Vetts and their owners have put me off in a bad way over the years. One of the reasons I don't like Vetts in the first place.
I understand what you are saying but offer that it could be said about owners of many cars not just owners of Corvettes. Subie STI's, Most pony cars etc. any car people typically modify. Most people do not know how to handle real horsepower and never will if they never get training on tracks. Whether a drag way or a road course. Best thing I ever did was attend many High Performance Driving events with instructors. Through the training and watching what can and often does, happen when people drive fast, I learned to keep it rubber side down and out of the grass or 'blue bushes' aka guard rails.

. And yes, I drive Corvettes but don't think I am a D$:/k.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 05-21-2014, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
I understand what you are saying but offer that it could be said about owners of many cars not just owners of Corvettes. Subie STI's, Most pony cars etc. any car people typically modify. Most people do not know how to handle real horsepower and never will if they never get training on tracks. Whether a drag way or a road course. Best thing I ever did was attend many High Performance Driving events with instructors. Through the training and watching what can and often does, happen when people drive fast, I learned to keep it rubber side down and out of the grass or 'blue bushes' aka guard rails.

. And yes, I drive Corvettes but don't think I am a D$:/k.
True, any high hp, RWD car is dangerous in the wrong hands. If you watch some videos on YouTube, most of these schmucks lose control at low speeds, typically 40 mph or less, typically in 1st gear, or right after shifting into 2nd. They lose control while the rear tires are getting roasted (because it's cool to make smoke) and the car pitches to the left. They try to correct and end up over-correcting, hitting the car next to them or sliding off into a curb or ditch or...

That's the nice thing about Miatas. They have enough power to get you into trouble, especially in the rain, and they have a really short wheelbase. If you can master WOT from a dead stop in the rain in a Miata and keep the rear end where its supposed to be, bigger, more powerful, longer wheelbase cars become easier to control as well. If any car wants to swap ends very easily, it's a Miata. LOL

OR... You can go with FWD and deal with over steer and torque steer.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:10 AM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops-tube View Post
True, any high hp, RWD car is dangerous in the wrong hands. If you watch some videos on YouTube, most of these schmucks lose control at low speeds, typically 40 mph or less, typically in 1st gear, or right after shifting into 2nd. They lose control while the rear tires are getting roasted (because it's cool to make smoke) and the car pitches to the left. They try to correct and end up over-correcting, hitting the car next to them or sliding off into a curb or ditch or...

That's the nice thing about Miatas. They have enough power to get you into trouble, especially in the rain, and they have a really short wheelbase. If you can master WOT from a dead stop in the rain in a Miata and keep the rear end where its supposed to be, bigger, more powerful, longer wheelbase cars become easier to control as well. If any car wants to swap ends very easily, it's a Miata. LOL

OR... You can go with FWD and deal with over steer and torque steer.
Miatas are cool!
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack