AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 07-12-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
Very interesting indeed.
I think I want one more regenerator to replace my RSA Maxim.
For the similar money it could be Accuphase PS520 or PS. Audio P10.
But if total load is well withing P5 or even P3 capacity, is there any sonic benefit to go P10 ?
Even Accuphase ps520 has enough juice to feed my pre-processor, BD player, Projector. But I want
To try something different and get extra capacity as a bonus. Not sure should I take P5 or P10.
Price difference = can buy extra power cord.

Toga
Hi Toga,
I've A-B'd direct the Accuphase PS520 with PSA P10 (PS520 cost less here btw.) and prefer the later for my front-ends.
Thought that if it suits, I'd also change my current old PSA PP1200 for amps to Accuphase PS1220 x2.
Albeit the PS520 was new and I only played it for 4days (+-100hrs) before I returned them. The P10 was to my ears more musical and relaxed, whilst the PS520 a little too clean and tight.
Maybe a little more break-in would help, but the difference was imo in large part attributable to the flexibility the P10 has.
I tried P10 at equal voltage output of the PS520 i.e..230v, and it did show similar traits tending to be tighter and a tad constricted, I backed it down to 227-228v and perfect!
As you know, we can't do this with Accuphase units as they have pre-set outputs.
Hence the reason I stayed with P10, its adjustability/tune-ability is preferred in my system.

Go for P10, and try switch around with your PS520 for front-ends later, you might like it too. *I use Shunyata Sigma HC PC to wall connection, and a SR's Red fuse in it.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdiman View Post
Hi Toga,
I've A-B'd direct the Accuphase PS520 with PSA P10 (PS520 cost less here btw.) and prefer the later for my front-ends.
Thought that if it suits, I'd also change my current old PSA PP1200 for amps to Accuphase PS1220 x2.
Albeit the PS520 was new and I only played it for 4days (+-100hrs) before I returned them. The P10 was to my ears more musical and relaxed, whilst the PS520 a little too clean and tight.
Maybe a little more break-in would help, but the difference was imo in large part attributable to the flexibility the P10 has.
I tried P10 at equal voltage output of the PS520 i.e..230v, and it did show similar traits tending to be tighter and a tad constricted, I backed it down to 227-228v and perfect!
As you know, we can't do this with Accuphase units as they have pre-set outputs.
Hence the reason I stayed with P10, its adjustability/tune-ability is preferred in my system.

Go for P10, and try switch around with your PS520 for front-ends later, you might like it too. *I use Shunyata Sigma HC PC to wall connection, and a SR's Red fuse in it.
Hi, thanks. Your experience with PS520 vs P10 was very similar to what I felt comparing PS1220 to RSA Maxim. I felt 1220 was too controlled and Maxim was more musical and relax, didn't feel that way between PS520 vs Maxim. So it depends on many factors I think.
So I can guess P10 will make similar sound to Maxim, as warm and and lush sound. How about low level details and noise floor ? I heard a lot more detail using PS520 than from Maxim.
One thing I have to find out is will the P5 compromised in anything compared to P10. Without projector the total load will be only 100W.
adding JVC projector will add only 250-300W more. So even P3 will handle this load. But P5 is the most optimum size for me, P10 is overkill regarding power capacity.
Toga
Old 07-13-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
Hi, thanks. Your experience with PS520 vs P10 was very similar to what I felt comparing PS1220 to RSA Maxim. I felt 1220 was too controlled and Maxim was more musical and relax, didn't feel that way between PS520 vs Maxim. So it depends on many factors I think.
So I can guess P10 will make similar sound to Maxim, as warm and and lush sound. How about low level details and noise floor ? I heard a lot more detail using PS520 than from Maxim.
One thing I have to find out is will the P5 compromised in anything compared to P10. Without projector the total load will be only 100W.
adding JVC projector will add only 250-300W more. So even P3 will handle this load. But P5 is the most optimum size for me, P10 is overkill regarding power capacity.
Toga
No direct experience, but an audio buddy who has both told me to go for P10 (especially for 2ch.use), and I trusted him.
I'd like to think of its ample headroom/flexibility for in case when needing to use for amps later on, no need to change, is nice.
Btw. I'm currently only drawing 35-40w out of it powering my Preamp and CDPs.
Maybe others who has had the experience to use/compare both units can chime in more on detail and differences.. But I'd still say go for P10, regardless.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:20 AM

I agree. In 2 channel I'm only at 25% load max. I had fans on my previous Pure Power unit and am glad I don't have them now.
Sources: Linn Klimax DS, Kaleidescape Strato S Amps: MC452 & MC301 Speakers/Subs: Sonus Faber Olympica III’s & Nova CII in Wenge, 2 x JL Fathom 112's w/ Sound Anchor stands Pre/Pro: C1100, MX122 Power: PS Audio P10 Cables: Center speaker-Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8, L/R Speakers-Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7, Kimber Palladian Power Cables, Kimber KS1126 Interconnects Misc: Furutech Flux 50 NSF, Furutech GTX-D NSF outlets, Furutech Boosters
Old 07-14-2015, 06:19 AM

I thought based on my class many years ago, transformer runs more efficiently when load reaches almost 100%.
But we don't care about efficiently here right ? Otherwise we left Class A amps in the store haha.

Yes having P10 is a better solution for longer term.

Toga
Old 07-15-2015, 09:12 PM

On my friend's advise, I bought a P10 2 months ago and has no regret. It's now used to power my control comprising of ARC Ref 10, Ref2SE, CD9, Thoren TD550 & Clearaudio Innovation Master, drawing about 30-50% of power on vinyl or CD.

Plan to buy 1 or 2 more for my Goldmund Telos 250 probably end of the year.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdiman View Post
Been toying around to optimise performance of my P10.
Recent being change of standard fuse to Synergistic Research SR RED, and a Shunyata Sigma HC cords which accumulatively made for quite an uplift in performance.
Fuse was more straight forward as there was no comparison made, and the RED was hands down audibly superior to standard one.
For power cords, a little tougher as PS own AC12 seems to me an almost perfect match with their own units - balance wise, as well reasonably priced to boot. Numerous much costlier cords I tested in the past would excel in one or two areas but found myself to almost always gravitate back into using them.
Last week, a dealer loan me the Sigma HC for the weekend. Immediately liked what I heard and paid for it the next day. Unfortunately, they do go through the hellish (ok, a little exaggerating this ) break-in period like some have reported.. On day 2-3 bass went missing, came back on day4-5 but a tad mushy and ill-defined. Only shaping back to composure on day6-7.. Seems pretty much stable now at day8 (200+hrs) and loving what they do. As weighty as PSA AC12 only more balanced (AC12 is slightly tilted down), with better resolution, black, and speed - overall more natural/musical rendering with power/energy in spades. I think this one will be staying.
Recommended to those looking for worthwhile tweak to up the performance of their units.

Acrolink 7N-PC9500
Attachment 38863

Shunyata Sigma HC
Attachment 38864
Looking at the pics of your gear you have a lot of Siltech cabling. What made you decide on the Shunyata Sigma HC over another Ruby Double Crown for the P10?