AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 04-27-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
It is!
One of my favourite threads on the web.
Cost me a lot of money before I went to streaming.

Welcome!
WELL,

I made a Qobuz playlist back to the 04/04/2021 posts. It is at 996 tracks which is about at the limit of 1000. I will digest these and come back here anytime I'm looking for more suggestions. What a great resource!

Cheers

Rogue Stereo 100 & RP-5, Klipsch Forte III, Sony PS-LX520, Sansui TU9900, Bluesound Node 2i, Dennis Had Inspire 6v6'er & LP-3a, Tannoy Mercury V1, Audeze LCD-3, Luxman P-1u, Schiit Magni Heresy, Modi3+, Loki, Eitr, Musical Fidelity M1-Dac (1st gen).
Old 04-27-2021, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMammal View Post
WELL,

I made a Qobuz playlist back to the 04/04/2021 posts. It is at 996 tracks which is about at the limit of 1000. I will digest these and come back here anytime I'm looking for more suggestions. What a great resource!

Cheers

Wow, that’s pretty cool, well done! Maybe you should share it here for others interested in exploring.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 04-29-2021, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Wow, that’s pretty cool, well done! Maybe you should share it here for others interested in exploring.
That's a good idea. I ended up starting one from the beginning of this thread (2010! 11 years ago!) as well because some of these collections are quite massive and I wanted additional variety.

Got verification it's fine to post links to playlists here so here they are!

What Classical Music are You Listening to? 4/04/2021-4/27/021

Here's the one I started from the beginning of the thread:

What Classical Music are You Listening to? From the start (2010)

And finally, I couldn't find the My Favorite Liszt Vol II album by Indrek Laul so I pieced together the track list from other artists.

My Favorite Liszt tracks by other artists

There were a couple collections that weren't available on Qobuz, so it's not comprehensive, but still a great collection! Hope this helps someone enjoy these pieces!

What I think may work really well is just putting the first song from each posted album in the playlist, that way people can see a track from every album, and we can get 1000 albums in the playlist, then, if they want to explore an album further, they can just click on the song from it and dive in. I am not guaranteeing every album in this thread will be included... but anything is better than nothing :-).

I'll work on getting the playlist linked here in the next day or two.

One thing is for sure, this thread is a deep well of amazing classical music.

I stayed up way too late and was running between the SET system in the small room, and the large system in the room with the cathedral ceiling. Hearing such well recorded and performed pieces is awesome!

While I have always had a fair appreciation of classical with some favorites including Boccherini and Saint-Saens, I knew diddly about the performers until this thread. I didn't even understand how these works were titled. Here's to learning and enjoying!

Thanks all!

Rogue Stereo 100 & RP-5, Klipsch Forte III, Sony PS-LX520, Sansui TU9900, Bluesound Node 2i, Dennis Had Inspire 6v6'er & LP-3a, Tannoy Mercury V1, Audeze LCD-3, Luxman P-1u, Schiit Magni Heresy, Modi3+, Loki, Eitr, Musical Fidelity M1-Dac (1st gen).

Last edited by AMammal; 04-30-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:21 PM

Wow, what a project! Thanks for sharing the playlists.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 05-01-2021, 12:25 PM

Mendelssohn: Complete Piano Works, vol. 5
Howard Shelley
Hyperion (2021), 24/96 download

This is the latest installment in Howard Shelley’s Mendelssohn survey, and it’s as good as the rest. Unfortunately Hyperion doesn’t license its music to streaming services, but it’s well worth buying the download.
IMG_0810.jpg
Old 05-01-2021, 03:51 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMammal View Post
That's a good idea. I ended up starting one from the beginning of this thread (2010! 11 years ago!) as well because some of these collections are quite massive and I wanted additional variety.

Got verification it's fine to post links to playlists here so here they are!

What Classical Music are You Listening to? 4/04/2021-4/27/021

Here's the one I started from the beginning of the thread:

What Classical Music are You Listening to? From the start (2010)

And finally, I couldn't find the My Favorite Liszt Vol II album by Indrek Laul so I pieced together the track list from other artists.

My Favorite Liszt tracks by other artists

There were a couple collections that weren't available on Qobuz, so it's not comprehensive, but still a great collection! Hope this helps someone enjoy these pieces!

What I think may work really well is just putting the first song from each posted album in the playlist, that way people can see a track from every album, and we can get 1000 albums in the playlist, then, if they want to explore an album further, they can just click on the song from it and dive in. I am not guaranteeing every album in this thread will be included... but anything is better than nothing :-).

I'll work on getting the playlist linked here in the next day or two.

One thing is for sure, this thread is a deep well of amazing classical music.

I stayed up way too late and was running between the SET system in the small room, and the large system in the room with the cathedral ceiling. Hearing such well recorded and performed pieces is awesome!

While I have always had a fair appreciation of classical with some favorites including Boccherini and Saint-Saens, I knew diddly about the performers until this thread. I didn't even understand how these works were titled. Here's to learning and enjoying!

Thanks all!

What an effort you put into this! Wow!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 05-03-2021, 04:08 PM
Life is beautiful

N'espérez plus, mes yeux - Airs sérieux et à boire vol. 3
Les Arts Florissants, William Christie
Qobuz 24/192

If you like old French music, this new release is a real gem.
'Serious airs, and airs to drink to' covers the pieces: there is humour, and there is delicate finesse.

[IMG]With this third volume of "Airs sérieux et à boire", the ensemble Les Arts Florissants return to this genre whose refinement had marked the French musical landscape for over a hundred years. By turns gallant, earthy, or spiritual, these vocal miniatures, prized at the French court, ushered in a ground-breaking style which opened the door to an endless variety of interpretations. "One can hardly find enough praise for the individuality of these inspired performers, for their skill to make the music animate the words ( . . . ) as they display a joyful unity of purpose. A unique event!" (Opéra Magazine). © harmonia mundi[/IMG]
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 05-03-2021, 04:27 PM
Life is beautiful

I streamed this again into the clinic today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
This was playing into the practice today:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Violin Sonatas
Sigiswald Kuijken
Luc Devos
via Qobuz

I'm supporting the local musicians.

I spoke to Mr Kuijken recently. He told me he received quite a bit more fees than last years. I think I helped a bit with that. 😉
Old 05-03-2021, 05:00 PM
Life is beautiful

Konstantia Gourzi - Anájikon
Nils Mönkemeyer
William Youn
Minguet Quartet
Lucerne Academy Orchestra
, Konstantia Gourzi
Qobuz 24/48

I liked the 2 chamber music pieces, the orchestral piece not so much.

"Anajikon", the second ECM album after "Music for piano and string quartet", by Athens-born and Munich-based Konstantia Gourzi, incorporates her chamber and orchestral music of the past decade. The composer also conducts the Lucerne Academy Orchestra here: "I see composing and conducting as a whole, as an inseparable relationship", she says.
Gourzi is particularly concerned with making connections between the arts, which also relates to the question of her own artistic identity and the influence of her origins. In Gourzi's sound language, elements of different musical traditions repeatedly merge, and East and West enter into a dialogue.
This album presents three of her compositions: her third String Quartet, "Anajikon", her orchestral piece Ny-el (commissioned by the Lucerne Festival, in August 2016 with the orchestra of the Lucerne Festival Academy) as well as Hommage a Mozart, three Dialogues. Her works are performed on this new recording by Nils Mönkemeyer (viola); William Youn (piano), the Lucerne Academy Orchestra and the Minguet Quartett.
"Anajikon" is preceded by the album "Music for piano and string quartet", which presented the composer's work for the first time. UK magazine Gramophone described the album as "An absorbing introduction to an eminently worthwhile composer". © ECM New Series
Old 05-04-2021, 02:25 AM