Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein
What is a TTP subscription?
Gary...TTP. The Tape Project. http://www.tapeproject.com
Old 06-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Dan...thanks. It is going to be very hard to find a piece I would imagine.
Steve.......You may want to give some consideration to the Technic RS1520. It has 1/2 track heads, plays 15 ips, and has switchable NAB and IEC equalization.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 06-26-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy

Steve.......You may want to give some consideration to the Technic RS1520. It has 1/2 track heads, plays 15 ips, and has switchable NAB and IEC equalization.
Dan...Awesome! Shall place it on my research list. Servicability is always going to be the big question. I can see myself sinking pitifully further into this wonderful hobby.

Last edited by MyPal; 06-26-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post

Actually the Technics only has NAB EQ.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Myles.......As I understand it, the Technics RS1500 and RS1506 only have NAB. The RS1520 has IEC equalization.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 06-26-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I was told to go for a 1/4" reel to reel half track with 15 ips tape speed for my own stereo recordings. The above unit is a 2 track, 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 ips.

I'm totally green & swaying towards a Studer Euro version that I could power in Aust without any step down.
I guess what I meant was older prerecorded or tapes like TTP. In that case, 15 ips is mandatory along with the ability to playback IEC EQ curves. Most of the new tapes that are coming out are usually IEC though with one, can order in either format. (the German tapes actually also come in wide or narrow gap version too).
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
Actually the Technics only has NAB EQ.

Miles, Dan... I'm liking the 1520 more as it is still well supported. J-Corder has some pretty cool refurb packages too which may sway me that way.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Miles, Dan... I'm liking the 1520 more as it is still well supported. J-Corder has some pretty cool refurb packages too which may sway me that way.
There are a couple of different paths you can take with the Technics. One decision you'll have to make is whether you want to use the deck for record and PB or just PB. If just PB, sooner or later, the stock Technics electronics will get in the way of the sound of the deck.

I bought my Technics 1500 from Jeff Jacobs and then sent it to Dan Schmalle at the Tape Project where he customized the tape path, got rid of the captive AC cord, hard wired it from the heads thus bypassing the stock electronics and a few other things. Then for a while ran the heads straight out to a BH Tube Repro (with V-caps). Then I switched to the King/Cello tape preamp (based on the Cello phono section with Mundorf--and awaiting Dueland--caps) that was quieter, greater resolution and much better extended highs and lows. Finally, I swapped tape heads and put in Pro Nortronics heads that was also a sizable improvement particularly in the low end linearity, ambience retrieval and overall noise floor. Gone was that "fuzzy" bass characteristic of many Japanese heads. We measured the upper octave response to over 22K when aligning the heads at +1.5/-1 dB.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor

There are a couple of different paths you can take with the Technics. One decision you'll have to make is whether you want to use the deck for record and PB or just PB. If just PB, sooner or later, the stock Technics electronics will get in the way of the sound of the deck.

I bought my Technics 1500 from Jeff Jacobs and then sent it to Dan Schmalle at the Tape Project where he customized the tape path, got rid of the captive AC cord, hard wired it from the heads thus bypassing the stock electronics and a few other things. Then for a while ran the heads straight out to a BH Tube Repro (with V-caps). Then I switched to the King/Cello tape preamp (based on the Cello phono section with Mundorf--and awaiting Dueland--caps) that was quieter, greater resolution and much better extended highs and lows. Finally, I swapped tape heads and put in Pro Nortronics heads that was also a sizable improvement particularly in the low end linearity, ambience retrieval and overall noise floor. Gone was that "fuzzy" bass characteristic of many Japanese heads. We measured the upper octave response to over 22K when aligning the heads at +1.5/-1 dB.
Myles...Thanks for a heads up with your customization. I've already started dialogue with Jeff who says I can apparently have anything I want. He has a 1520 for me to do a ground up rebuild & customization. It seems he outsources some of the work depending on the brief. I would be wanting both PB & record plus the additional head mounted on his custom headblock for direct external repro as an option should I go for this down the track. Recording will be equally important for my application too. Will ask about what sort of heads he is using on his rec/PB performance option. Would like to use a Furutech IEC with EMI filter plus Furutech XLR/RCA plugs. As for the finish, naturally a "blue meter look & feel" & hope he can accommodate the material fabrications.

I'm actually quite excited to have come across Jeff who has been doing some awesome work by giving the Technics a 2nd life.

I did find another 1520 in Germany & also asked the German about the possibility of sourcing a Studer A810. Relatively easy to get a A810 in Europe but hard to find a good one that hasn't had a hard life...

Last edited by MyPal; 06-27-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Myles...Thanks for a heads up with your customization. I've already started dialogue with Jeff who says I can apparently have anything I want. He has a 1520 for me to do a ground up rebuild & customization. It seems he outsources some of the work depending on the brief. I would be wanting both PB & record plus the additional head mounted on his custom headblock for direct external repro as an option should I go for this down the track. Recording will be equally important for my application too. Will ask about what sort of heads he is using on his rec/PB performance option. Would like to use a Furutech IEC with EMI filter plus Furutech XLR/RCA plugs. As for the finish, naturally a "blue meter look & feel" & hope he can accommodate the material fabrications.

I'm actually quite excited to have come across Jeff who has been doing some awesome work by giving the Technics a 2nd life.

I did find another 1520 in Germany & also asked the German about the possibility of sourcing a Studer A810. Relatively easy to get a A810 in Europe but hard to find a good one that hasn't had a hard life...
The pro machines require a bit more dedication--not to mention space--to operate and maintain. Forget the heads--they you can replace them with some extended response heads from John French--but you have to have the expertise or someone around who can align and maintain head azimuth. That's not to mention all the other functions that need maintenance. One of the better people for fixing/answering Studer questions (and other decks like Nagra, Ampex) is Ki Choi (who has a R2R museum in his home too ). Ki hangs out at thetapeproject.com or whatsbestforum.com.

And many think that by modding a Technics deck (it does have an excellent transport eg. the same hefty motors used in their top turntables), changing the heads, etc. that there's little difference between the pro machines and pro-sumer machines for PB purposes (for instance, Opus 3 uses a modded Technics for making their new tapes).