AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 03-15-2010, 07:21 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Arrow What Classical Music Are You Listening To Tonight?

If the recent thread posted by Cyril - http://audioaficionado.org/music/373...ggestions.html is any indicator, there aren't an overwhelming number of classical music fans on Audio Aficionado -

NEVERTHELESS - I think it worth giving a try at seeking out those people who probably like classical music IN ADDITION TO all the rock, jazz, folk etc. etc. etc. that is posted on the other "What are You Listening To" threads.

With that in mind . . . Please give a try at posting your favorite classical discs. Remember:

CLASSICAL MUSIC SOUNDS AWESOME ON YOUR FABULOUS SYSTEMS

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 08-21-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:28 PM

I'm listening to MISSA CRIOLLA - Jose Carreras

This CD has been included on almost every "best of" list ever published - TAS, Stereophile, etc. A Philips recording with unbelievably beautiful male vocal and choral performances.

Try it, I promise, you'll like it!!!!!

Julian

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 11-28-2013 at 07:53 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 04-03-2012, 06:31 PM

Fabulous singing in the Taneyev, and the fugue Taneyev presents is breathtaking.
I guess you can judge the quality of a recording by the number of times it ends up getting played. I keep reverting to this one very often.

( No, this is NOT the only cd I have.....)

Best regards from NL,
Old 04-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Genuflector

Knowing some of us are Albinoni fans, I'll put the question out there... which of his works are your favorite?

In my case, the very first Albinoni music I purchased (back in the early 80s) was this Philips disc of Cinque Concerti Opus 5. These works, to my ear, ride the very crest of the baroque wave. While I treasure this disc, I would love to discover a similar performance (or dare I hope, even better performance) but with the best modern recording technology applied. Someone like a Linn or Channel Classics should, IMO, stop whatever they're doing and put all power/focus/effort on releasing a high-rez artfully recorded Opus 5... and hurry up, I don't have all day.

(note that because Amazon does not have any audio samples, I linked over to JPC and although the cover art is different, it is the same music)
Old 04-03-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsv_1 View Post
Knowing some of us are Albinoni fans, I'll put the question out there... which of his works are your favorite?
I'm not sure that the Albinoni Adagio is my favorite of Albinoni's works (although I do really love it) but I am sure that the Gary Karr - Super Analogue Disc LP recording is the best recording of an Albinoni work of music I've ever heard.

A true audiophile extravaganza!

And, thank you for reminding me to listen to Albinoni, because I am listening to it now.

Adagio d' Albinoni
Gary Karr - Bass
Harmon Lewis - pipe-organ

Old 04-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Genuflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
I'm not sure that the Albinoni Adagio is my favorite of Albinoni's works (although I do really love it) but I am sure that the Gary Karr - Super Analogue Disc LP recording is the best recording of an Albinoni work of music I've ever heard.

A true audiophile extravaganza!

And, thank you for reminding me to listen to Albinoni, because I am listening to it now.

Adagio d' Albinoni
Gary Karr - Bass
Harmon Lewis - pipe-organ

Hi Julian,

I have an XRCD24 FIM release featuring Mr. Karr and, from what I can gather, it includes the very same performance of that adagio. It is truly stunning. One can practically smell the rosin.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post

This CD has been included on almost every "best of" list ever published - TAS, Stereophile, etc. A Philips recording with unbelievably beautiful male vocal and choral performances.

Julian

The post quoted above was my first classical music post when I started this thread, three years and almost 9500 posts ago . . . and I'm listening to MISSA CAROLLA again this morning . . . . and have probably listened to it 200 times over the twenty years or so that I've owned it. It is that good.

Carreras was in great voice - preceding his treatment for cancer - the choir is excellent as is the orchestration. The recording is spacious, three dimensional, with superior soundstaging.

A great "show off" album, and, as a matter of fact, I bought a pair of speakers, partially as a result of having had this recording demoed over them and being mightily impressed (huge pair of Genesis 200's)

Ariel Ramirez - Missa Criolla (Creole Mass)
Navidad en Verano
Navidad Nuestra

Jose Carreras - Tenor
Coral Salve de Laredo
Sociedad Coral de Bilbao
Conducted by Jose Luis Ocejo

A Philips CD, Recorded in the Santuario de la Bien Aparecida, Cantabria, Spain in 1987

Old 07-07-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
The post quoted above was my first classical music post when I started this thread, three years and almost 9500 posts ago . . . and I'm listening to MISSA CAROLLA again this morning . . . . and have probably listened to it 200 times over the twenty years or so that I've owned it. It is that good.

Carreras was in great voice - preceding his treatment for cancer - the choir is excellent as is the orchestration. The recording is spacious, three dimensional, with superior soundstaging.

A great "show off" album, and, as a matter of fact, I bought a pair of speakers, partially as a result of having had this recording demoed over them and being mightily impressed (huge pair of Genesis 200's)

Ariel Ramirez - Missa Criolla (Creole Mass)
Navidad en Verano
Navidad Nuestra

Jose Carreras - Tenor
Coral Salve de Laredo
Sociedad Coral de Bilbao
Conducted by Jose Luis Ocejo

A Philips CD, Recorded in the Santuario de la Bien Aparecida, Cantabria, Spain in 1987

Julian - I'm ordering the Misa Criolla tonight based on your recommendation. Heard the samples and really liked it.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Julian
This is one of Julian's favorites and I got it because it's in Spanish and because he recommends it highly.

Ramirez: Misa Criolla, Navidad en Verano, Navidad Nuestra
José Carreras (tenor)
Coral Salvé de Laredo, Sociedad Coral de Bilbao, José Luis Ocejo, Damián Sanchez

Yes, this is a bona fide audiophile recording. Great ambiance and detail. Music is good too. Thanks, Julian. I tried it and I liked it.

(Hey, Julian. Where are you? The thread is about to hit 10,000 posts and you are going to miss all the fun! As the father and curator for this thread, the 10,000th post should be yours)

Last edited by cma29; 08-20-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
This is one of Julian's favorites and I got it because it's in Spanish and because he recommends it highly.

Ramirez: Misa Criolla, Navidad en Verano, Navidad Nuestra
José Carreras (tenor)
Coral Salvé de Laredo, Sociedad Coral de Bilbao, José Luis Ocejo, Damián Sanchez

Yes, this is a bona fide audiophile recording. Great ambiance and detail. Music is good too. Thanks, Julian. I tried it and I liked it.

(Hey, Julian. Where are you? The thread is about to hit 10,000 posts and you are going to miss all the fun! As the father and curator for this thread, the 10,000th post should be yours)
I'm with you guys, I just ordered it!

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.