AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 02-11-2023, 09:41 AM

Sunday? Couldn't wait and started rolling tubes before.

The Philips 5Y3 exchanged for a Sylvania 5Y3 GT Long life, the bass range becomes more controlled. It sounds faster.

The simple GE 6SL7 dipped against the JAN GE 5961, the slight exaggeration in the midrange is less. In the 300b I also liked the normal GE better than the mil. version.

A Fivre pushes the stage slightly backwards, but makes a large well-defined space. unfortunately one causes a slight hiss in the speaker.

The Sylvania GTA is a step in the wrong direction, here the treble range is too loud.

So far, I find the CBS/Hytron the best, here every area is well illuminated. no shift in a certain direction.

I still have a pair of JAN Philips, which I also use successfully in the power amplifier, but haven't tried it yet.

Then comes the small tube. a 60s Tesla ECC803S frame grid manufactured on the old Telefunken machines is currently running, a mil. Brimar, a Siemens E83CC, a Valvo E83CC, a JAN Philips 12AX7 and the JJ as well as a 12AU7 which was with the delivery I still have to listen to.

So far everything is going in the right direction and I'm starting to love the Phono Station like the other devices from Dennis.

Since all the tubes I have replaced so far have already run for at least 100 - 200 hours, I am progressing faster than expected.

So far it is a perfect weekend, if not afterwards friends would come to visit....
Old 02-11-2023, 04:06 PM

Officially Dennis is currently offering two versions of the 300b amplifier, the 300b-v that includes a gain/volume control, and the 300b, which does not.
Old 02-11-2023, 04:26 PM

Good to know. I think I’ll stick with the volume control even though I’m in the queue for a LP-2030.
Old 02-14-2023, 02:15 PM

Holy Crap, what a great device.
fast as a racing car, power like a steamroller, timbres like in a painting, emotions like a praying sister, resolution like a microscope and the overview like someone standing on a lighthouse.

The Brimar and the Valvo sound a touch warmer, more like in a small club where you can smell the sweat of the musicians. With jazz and small instrumentations absolutely believable.

The Tesla is a little more neutral, but the size and position of individual instruments in the orchestra is more believable.

Actually pure matter of taste, which sound you prefer.

I didn't even try the other tubes, because the sound is perfect for my feeling.

My old Gleider HO sounds like someone kicked him in the ass and gave him a makeover.

I discarded the idea of another pickup.

I get along very well with the phono stage. with my 93db speakers I can hear slight noises at a listening distance of 2.5 meters when the volume control is set to 1 o'clock. However, these are not disturbing. and with music the level is so high that my wife starts to scold.

how someone judges the whole thing with 98db speakers... anyway, he does not turn up the volume knob so far and should also have no problems.

The PH 1A SET plays on the same level as LP2030 and my 300b.
These are milestones in audio history.

The current tubes I use in the devices are the following:

CJ5: 4x Fivre 6J5 GT, GE 5U4G

KT88 SEP: KR KT88, CBS Hytron 5692, GE 5U4G

LP2030: Cunningham 301a, Sylvania jan. 01A, EML 5U4

300b-DJH: WE300b, jan. Philips 6SL7, EML 274b

PH 1a SET: CBS Hytron 6SL7, Tesla ECC803S frame grid, 5Y3WGTA Sylvania Gold brand

These are my favorites. and except for the WE 300b I still have some of each tube in reserve. And various other combinations around the 6V6, KT66, which I also find great in the SET.

But all this applies to my space, the devices and my sense of hearing.
In other constellations and with different sound tastes it will look different.

With most of Dennis' devices it is possible to influence the sound according to your personal preferences with tube rolling.

Everyone can find happiness with them and that's what makes them so valuable in our short-lived times.
Old 02-15-2023, 04:35 PM

Nice to hear from someone who gets it. Now all you need is a pair of Inspire speakers, and your life will be complete!
Old 02-15-2023, 04:51 PM

Are there Inspire speakers? Do you have any pictures and info on them?
I'm delighted with my current speakers, but based on how my Inspire LP-2 sounds, I'm guessing speakers designed by Dennis will be awe-inspiring
Old 02-16-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cporada View Post
Are there Inspire speakers? Do you have any pictures and info on them?
I'm delighted with my current speakers, but based on how my Inspire LP-2 sounds, I'm guessing speakers designed by Dennis will be awe-inspiring
I have been instructed not to say too much about this yet, since we are still in the prototype stages of this new project. The idea is to create a new set of speakers in a smaller enclosure as to allow us to be more easily able to ship them to anyone in the Inspire family that wants to hear Dennis’ “vision” complete and unadulterated.
Obviously, these speakers will be designed to mesh seamlessly with Inspire gear and Dennis will voice them to provide optimal sound reproduction for owners of Inspire amps and preamps. Of course, the more “Inspired” your system is, the more “Inspired” will be the sound….

Last edited by Analog Addict; 02-16-2023 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-16-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Nice to hear from someone who gets it. Now all you need is a pair of Inspire speakers, and your life will be complete!
A pair of Inspire speakers would be worth a sin, but then I get into trouble with the best of all wives. I could only install a set up in the bedroom, but that means war and I don't need it.

But the other way around, the speakers in the office with the Podzus Görlich drivers are fast, transparent, can convey emotions and timbres and have sufficient bass. Last but not least, they have a high efficiency. It is not for nothing that the new developments of the chassis in the Zelaton loudspeakers are sinfully expensive.

And my horn in the living room plays in another league.
I've been listening to speakers of this brand for almost 30 years and I like the sound.
It is only one of the smaller models of Acapella, but in the range around 30 thousand € I have heard nothing better so far.

I think Dennis is one of the best when it comes to the development of tube amplifiers, and Alfred Rudolph is the counterpart when it comes to building loudspeakers. Both are exceptional talents in their field who belong to the world elite. It's hard to beat them.

All my devices were developed by old pensioners (sorry) who do not follow a trend. With other manufacturers there is an MK2, 3 or 4 version in a short time. If you don't have to prove anything as a developer and only bring devices on the market that have been developed to the end, you don't need updates every month.

I've had my Symphonic Line CD player for 20 years. once the drive rubber from the drawer was defective, and in 2019 the device received an update to the bel canto version. I've never given a thought to another player. For me, this is the end game. I tried some network players but except for the models of Request Audio and Acousence they were no better.
This would be an investment that would not benefit me.

And with new speakers, I could get weak with an acapella horn with ion tweeters, but I would have to win the lottery.

But the thought of another set up hasn't quite died yet.....
Old 02-16-2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgn-dt-n View Post
A pair of Inspire speakers would be worth a sin, but then I get into trouble with the best of all wives. I could only install a set up in the bedroom, but that means war and I don't need it.

But the other way around, the speakers in the office with the Podzus Görlich drivers are fast, transparent, can convey emotions and timbres and have sufficient bass. Last but not least, they have a high efficiency. It is not for nothing that the new developments of the chassis in the Zelaton loudspeakers are sinfully expensive.

And my horn in the living room plays in another league.
I've been listening to speakers of this brand for almost 30 years and I like the sound.
It is only one of the smaller models of Acapella, but in the range around 30 thousand € I have heard nothing better so far.

I think Dennis is one of the best when it comes to the development of tube amplifiers, and Alfred Rudolph is the counterpart when it comes to building loudspeakers. Both are exceptional talents in their field who belong to the world elite. It's hard to beat them.

All my devices were developed by old pensioners (sorry) who do not follow a trend. With other manufacturers there is an MK2, 3 or 4 version in a short time. If you don't have to prove anything as a developer and only bring devices on the market that have been developed to the end, you don't need updates every month.

I've had my Symphonic Line CD player for 20 years. once the drive rubber from the drawer was defective, and in 2019 the device received an update to the bel canto version. I've never given a thought to another player. For me, this is the end game. I tried some network players but except for the models of Request Audio and Acousence they were no better.
This would be an investment that would not benefit me.

And with new speakers, I could get weak with an acapella horn with ion tweeters, but I would have to win the lottery.

But the thought of another set up hasn't quite died yet.....
Well, these would be much smaller speakers. More bookshelf size that will punch way above their weight class. Your Frau may not even notice them, and if she does, you would be honestly able to say they cost a mere fraction of your big speakers….
Old 02-17-2023, 08:16 AM

Small, with wife acceptance factor and best in camouflage optics, thanks for the hint. you give me hope.