AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 07-11-2022, 09:37 AM
Retired

Default Kirmuss Ultrasonic LP Cleaner

Anyone here used one? Lots of BS & some controversy with the founder, but most reviews are positive. MFremer has an in-depth review somewhere on his Analog Planet website. Am thinking that the Kirmuss for washing and my CA as the dryer might make a good combination.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 07-11-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Anyone here used one? Lots of BS & some controversy with the founder, but most reviews are positive. MFremer has an in-depth review somewhere on his Analog Planet website. Am thinking that the Kirmuss for washing and my CA as the dryer might make a good combination.
Glenn. I'd approach this system with some caution, or at least eyes wide open. Apparently there were a number of complaints that unless you fully wash the record first with his special brush and solution and get all of the white stuff that comes out of the grooves fully removed, it can result in sludge building up on the stylus tip that can actually damage the cartridge. MF wrote about this on his analog planet website. It may also be one of the reasons that Kirmuss markets his product as a record restoration system rather than just a RCM.

For me, I want nothing to do with any system that would have me invest 30 or 40 minutes of hand washing work just to get a record "restored" and that's before it goes into the ultra sonic bath. And then there's the drying since his machine doesn't do that.

I visited his booth at RMAF 2018 and got a back ache just standing there waiting to see results.

Hard pass for me, but that's just my personal view YMMV.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 07-11-2022, 10:06 PM

As I was searching for a new RC I did not research this one. The brand came up in reading different reviews as a comparison and it was said something to the effect that the Kirmuss was a very time consuming process. I did not read further as it did not sound like what I was looking for which was simplifying my own process. FWIW.
My System: Amp-McIntosh MC611(2) :Pre-McIntosh C2700, MP1100 :CD/SACD-McIntosh MCD600 :Speakers-McIntosh XR100 :Power Controller-McIntosh MPC1500 :Turntable-VPI HW40 Ortofon Cadenza Black :Cables-Morrow PH5,MA5 and Elite Speaker Cables :Headphones-McIntosh MPH1000 :Record Cleaner Klaudio KD-CLN-LP200T
Thanks,
Bill
Old 07-12-2022, 03:11 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

The guy wears a white lab coat to sell record cleaners. -- that kinda says it all.

There are much better choices.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:53 PM
Retired

Spoke with Charles Kirmuss and he said he would clean a couple of LPs for me at the Capital Audiofest. About as good a test as I can imagine.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-04-2022, 01:21 PM

Have you looked at Perfect Vinyl Forever? Seems like a pretty cool service...

I'm interested to see what you think of the test cleans...let us know!
Old 11-04-2022, 02:11 PM
Retired

PVR looks good except for the cost. Would be $10K to do all my LPs. Reads like an excellent service, but think I'll try adding an ultra-sonic to my vacuum LP cleaner first. I've got the rest of my life to get them all cleaned.

I'll keep you posted on my visit with Kirmuss. Hope he understands I don't want to spend half my day at the show in his booth.
Old 11-04-2022, 06:55 PM

Glenn, I wonder if Mr. Kirmuss will provide a log of how much time he spent cleaning those records.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 11-04-2022, 07:42 PM
Retired

I plan to be standing there watching, so should get a good idea. I'm primarily interested in an ultra-sonic cleaner to use with my vacuum LP cleaner (as the drying step), so whatever it takes after the cleaning cycle to dry the LP will not figure into the equation for me. Unless, of course, he does the same thing.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
I plan to be standing there watching, so should get a good idea. I'm primarily interested in an ultra-sonic cleaner to use with my vacuum LP cleaner (as the drying step), so whatever it takes after the cleaning cycle to dry the LP will not figure into the equation for me. Unless, of course, he does the same thing.
I spent time at his little booth in Denver. His full cleaning process is just too hands on, labor intensive and time consuming for me to ever consider. But, as you said, your interest lies in a more abridged version of his cleaning method.

Good luck and let us know what your impressions are.