AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 03-21-2013, 08:45 AM
Rebellious!

Jim, like your comment and quote. (Vinyl and tape is old technology)

Analog is the ultimate goal. Digital to Analog. An analogous of live music is the recording. The matrix tries to parallel the real world. In today's advances we are coming very close to re-creating this environment. Hifi of the future is going to be a moment of where you are convinced you are at the live music event.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
Jim, like your comment and quote. (Vinyl and tape is old technology)

Analog is the ultimate goal. Digital to Analog. An analogous of live music is the recording. The matrix tries to parallel the real world. In today's advances we are coming very close to re-creating this environment. Hifi of the future is going to be a moment of where you are convinced you are at the live music event.
Sounding Analog is not the goal for me. Your last sentence is what I seek.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Well, lets get to work on that robot band/orchestra/ensemble with real instruments .

Afterthought, Analog what most consider Vinyl/Tape is a generalization. Analog is really a "thing" seen as comparable to another.

Last edited by o0OBillO0o; 03-21-2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: defintitions
Old 03-21-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Everyone has their own perspective and many times it is colored by ones business relationships.

I love the interview of Mark Waldrep, President of AIX Records in the April 13 issue of The Absolute Sound.

"I've been advocating for a clear distinction between standard definition and high-definition audio for years. There continues to be a lot of confusion regarding what is and isn't an HD track. Analog tape is a standard definition format, plain and simple. The same holds for vinyl. Lovers of these formats have every right to enjoy the particular flavor of sound that they produce but that doesn't change the fundamental specifications. They are simply not HD audio any more than 8mm movies from the 1950's are HD video. When an author writes that a particular recording is almost as good as "analog" , it perpetuates the myth that analog is the ultimate goal. It is frustrating that labels, mastering engineers, and consumers are not given the opportunity to hear what artists and engineers/producers create in the studio. .........................Thankfully for audiophiles and music lovers, improvements in recording didn;t end with analog tape and vinyl despite the resurgence of those formats."

Amen
Jim...Too true!

Aaaaah....The DVD-A man....went Blu-ray & now wants to sell analog tape! Check out this quote from Mark Waldrep only last week. It is funny to read both of these quotes side-by-side.

03-16-2013, 9:52am

"My name is Mark Waldrep. I founded and operate AIX Records in Southern California. I have been a recording engineer for over 40 years and have worked with both analog and digital equipment (both standard definition and HD). I have mastered many hundreds of CDs and DVDs for artists from Diana Ross to Britney Spears. I own a NAGRA IV-S and QGB (the 10.5 reel adaptor) and a fully refurbished AMPEX 440C.

For the past 13 years, I have been recording and releasing new high definition audio products on DVD-Audio and now Blu-ray optical discs. These titles have garnered wonderful reviews (Stereophile gave us "Record of the Month" in November for Albert Lee's Tearing it Up BD disc) and a loyal following. At the suggestion of several audiophile friends, I'm considering offering my stereo tracks as reel to reel releases.

I would be interested in any feedback from this group on whether this idea has merit or not. Let me be clear. The masters from which the tapes would be created are original HD digital masters that were recorded in a live hall at 96 kHz/24-bit PCM using state-of-the-art preamps and ADCs. There is no artificial reverb, no use of EQ or any dynamics processing...just the sound of singers and instruments. We capture everyone at the same session...not overdubs. The sound is unique...open, clear and live.

I believe that an analog reel has a particular sonic signature that is valued AND that a transfer from my master through a new Benchmark DAC2 to my NAGRA at 15 or 7.5 ips 2-track would be roughly the equivalent to a first generation master. It potentially would have more dynamic range and greater frequency response than an analog copy from a dupe master. I'll leave the proof in the hands/ears of this group.

Any ideas, thoughts or comments would be appreciated. You can visit the AIX Records website and see the diversity of our catalog. New releases include The Banda Brothers and Rita Coolidge. I would be making each transfer on a custom order basis and would be able to select any tape type, speed and EQ configuration.

I should be able to send out some samples to a few interested parties in a few weeks.

Thanks in advance for the bandwidth. I'm excited by this prospect and hope that members of this group will be as well.

Mark Waldrep, Ph.D.
AIX Records and iTrax.com"

Last edited by MyPal; 03-21-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Rebellious!

Quote:
The masters from which the tapes would be created are original HD digital masters that were recorded in a live hall at 96 kHz/24-bit PCM using state-of-the-art preamps and ADCs. There is no artificial reverb, no use of EQ or any dynamics processing...just the sound of singers and instruments. We capture everyone at the same session...not overdubs. The sound is unique...open, clear and live.
Some one is looking to make a buck!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Jim...Too true!

Aaaaah....The DVD-A man....went Blu-ray & now wants to sell analog tape! Check out this quote from Mark Waldrep only last week. It is funny to read both of these quotes side-by-side.
Steve
That is surely a perfect example of my first sentence.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
Some one is looking to make a buck!
Bill & Jim...Totally... Sounds to me that $600 a reel is more in tune with his true philosophy.

Last edited by MyPal; 03-21-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:03 AM

There is no spoon.... But is there a fork???

Trust no one except your own ears!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Well, but sound *is* analog by its very nature, is it not? And what you say you want is natural sound, that feeling of "being there", rather than a feeling of listening to a recording, whatever the format used, yes? Can we agree that sound is not a discrete series of events the way digital records it, even with really high sampling and bit rates?

I ask these questions simply because I don't know you, and you don't know me, and neither of us knows the assumptions and biases the other is starting from, so this is my attempt to understand those details.

And somewhat apropos of the discussion, here's a quote from Neil Gader during an interview a couple of years ago:

Quote:
It’s pathetic that the best thing you can buy in 2010 is an LP—an artifact from the 1960s.
The technology, while changing, has not, I think, changed all that much in the last couple of years. His last sentence is though, I think, the most telling:

Quote:
It’s going to be up to the consumer to decide.
Full interview starts on page 10 of this document: media.avguide.com/vinyl_buyers_guide_2011.pdf

I point to this mainly because I can't find anything to disagree with in the interview. But as with most anything related to audio, it's simply a set of opinions.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:27 AM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.hughes View Post
Well, but sound *is* analog by its very nature, is it not? And what you say you want is natural sound, that feeling of "being there", rather than a feeling of listening to a recording, whatever the format used, yes? Can we agree that sound is not a discrete series of events the way digital records it, even with really high sampling and bit rates?

I ask these questions simply because I don't know you, and you don't know me, and neither of us knows the assumptions and biases the other is starting from, so this is my attempt to understand those details.

And somewhat apropos of the discussion, here's a quote from Neil Gader during an interview a couple of years ago:

The technology, while changing, has not, I think, changed all that much in the last couple of years. His last sentence is though, I think, the most telling:

Full interview starts on page 10 of this document: media.avguide.com/vinyl_buyers_guide_2011.pdf

I point to this mainly because I can't find anything to disagree with in the interview. But as with most anything related to audio, it's simply a set of opinions.
Good read, thank you for the referenced article.

There is money to be had in vinyl and tape, lots.

There is a very solid benefit to the "Album" - artistic and the performance.

For most we just choose the "blue pill."