AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 12-21-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhiner View Post
Great post!

"Now, as to how the new interconnects sound, I have already let the cat out of the bag. They are fabulous. I'm giddy. I think I got a tingle, a chill going up my spine when I initially installed them. As far as break-in, that's not even on my mind. They sound so great out of the box I'm not concerned or holding my breath for anything more from them. "

...the Python Speaker cables are even MORE of all that. Everyone I know, including me, who have the whole loom have found the bang from the SC's to be even more hair raising than the IC's.

I know you're happy with what you have, but you've got something to look forward to down the road. Just sayin'. ;-)
Cool. I might go that way. My situation is that I have about 6 meters of run ahead of me.

One further funny anecdote. I am just now listening to the first Rickie Lee Jones album. I believe I can now distinguish about 20% more of her lyrics. Previous to the Shunyata Z-Tron Pythons, I could make about about one word in five. I'm up to one word in four. I love this record but have mostly no idea what she is saying. Ha! But seriously, I think the enhanced detail and ambiance lends itself to further investigation and revelation.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBritt View Post
One further funny anecdote. I am just now listening to the first Rickie Lee Jones album. I believe I can now distinguish about 20% more of her lyrics.
LOL. It is nice when something like that happens. I said the same thing about Kurt Cobain after ripping the Blue Ray Audio version of Nevermind.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
LOL. It is nice when something like that happens. I said the same thing about Kurt Cobain after ripping the Blue Ray Audio version of Nevermind.
Then that shall be among my next purchases. I've got one eyed-up that I specifically want. Meanwhile, this last piece is seriously messing with my mind. Wow! And you know, I don't have a single Anaconda in the system, all Pythons, one Cobra and the Alpha on the player. Just mind-boggling.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:21 PM

"My situation is that I have about 6 meters of run ahead of me." Ouch! You have my sympathies.

I have also untangled a number of lyrics I thought were muddled before adding the
Zitron circuit. I finally figured out Dylan sings "I believe I'll dust my broom" on Love and Theft...a nice Robert Johnson reference I'd never noticed.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBritt View Post
Today I received and installed my final piece, a pair of Z-Tron Python interconnects, thus completing my Z-Tron loom. (I do not have Z-tron speaker cables and have no immediate plans to add them. I am quite content with what I have.) At any rate, from the Hyrda AV, to all power cables and interconnects, we are good to go with the Z-Trons. First, an adverse development. My top-of-the-line CD/SACD player shot craps end of last week, as the drawer would not open. I carefully packed it off for repair. It will be about ten days at best before it is returned. Meanwhile, I plugged in my trusty former CD/SACD player, the one from which I upgraded. I am quite familiar with both players. I mention the adverse development because in a strange way it presented an opportunity I would not otherwise have encountered; a scenario I would not otherwise have played out. Here's what happened. In the absence of the better player, my standby plugged in and in service, I installed the final piece of the loom, the new interconnects. I was floored. By comparison, the interconnects they replaced were not stock or too shabby, described by their well-known and well-respected manufacture as "near reference." I had been happy with them for years. So here comes the comparison. The CD/SACD player trade-off is a drag, temporary though it might be. For perspective, the price difference between these two players by the same manufacturer is about $7,000 -- just shy of that. Remember, I am using the lesser player. When I installed the new Z-Tron interconnects the improvement across the board far and away exceeds the difference between the two players. In other words, for about $1,500 in new interconnects the improvement exceeds the gap in price between the two players. I found that quite interesting and quite a testament to Shunyata. Now, as to how the new interconnects sound, I have already let the cat out of the bag. They are fabulous. I'm giddy. I think I got a tingle, a chill going up my spine when I initially installed them. As far as break-in, that's not even on my mind. They sound so great out of the box I'm not concerned or holding my breath for anything more from them. A couple of immediate observations: the bass is deeper and tighter, more articulate; the soundstage is enhanced -- opening as much top to bottom as side to side; the upper range is better (I've played a couple things with triangles and such and they sound better); bass drums sound more realistic -- for instance you can hear the front and back head of the drum resonating, rather than just a "plop" or "thwak" sound, there being more tone and richer harmonics there; and the space between instruments, as others have noted, is enhanced -- if there's an armada of acoustic guitars fronting the stage, you hear that rather than a garbled, undistinguished acoustic guitar sound. To pursue a tangent, that's something I noticed from the very first Shunyata upgrade, which included several pieces: just how much acoustic guitar is on a lot of rock music which before seemed dominated by electric guitars. You could tell there was something more there, but because it is typically just acoustic guitars strumming block chords -- that kind of thing -- it was previously part music, part noise, if you will. By that I mean not distinguishable from the general wave or wall of sound. With the Shunyata installed, you can clearly pick out how much acoustic guitar is being used to thicken the sound. And you can clearly pick out one guitar from another. I use this as a specific example, the benefit of which is mind-blowingly gratifying. Ever sanguine, I might say I cannot wait to install the better player. But the truth is, the system has never sounded better as it is. I am delighted! And thus my Shunyata PC and interconnect loom is complete. As I say, I am delighted.
Congratulations on the Python ICs, the loom landmark and the great review as well. Nice way to kick off the Christmas season.