AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 01-04-2012, 12:35 AM

Well if you're ever in the City, please give me a shout!
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
Well if you're ever in the City, please give me a shout!
Thank you, I will

I sincerely appreciate the offer and look forward to it. That will be an experience of a lifetime.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:02 AM

I also agonised over selling my ARTS3 as I made the mistake of buying an ACT2 when they came out and regretted that as the prem16 was better sounding IMO. However since living with the GAT since Sept, the GAT is the better sounding pre amp and I do not regret selling the ARTS3 one bit. The guy who has my ARTS3 is also loving it, so it is relative.

My superlatives will not be as many or as good as Myles - after he does write audio reviews, and good at it.

The GAT has a purity and speed that is uncanny, the ARTS3 has a density of beauty but can sound thick in the wrong system. The GAT is definately quieter, not that the ARTS3 is noisy - only in comparison. Having two chassis is a hassle if you swap stuff around as much as I do. The ARTS3 definately sounds better on two shelves - not stacked on top of each other. I also like the thick aluminium top plate of the GAT.

It really depends where you have come from. For example I tried the ARC LS27 which is pretty close to the ARC REF5 - for me the LS27 was quieter and played hifi well - but the ARTS3 played music so much better.

Joe, since you have had the ET5, the GAT would be the only step IMO.

cheers

Last edited by turntable; 01-04-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Joe, since you have had the ET5, the GAT would be the only step IMO.
cheers
Agreed!
Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 AM
A happy little vegemite..

Well mate - when you buy the GAT - get EAT 6922 tubes...awesome.

If you are thinking Dyn's - you should really think about my SGR's: alot of ex Dyn C2 owners have moved to them here.

Here is a review: SGR CX4F In-Depth Speaker Review by someone who laid down cash.

Just a thought. You could sell a power amp and the JBL's and have change...

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach
Old 01-04-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPandy View Post
Well mate - when you buy the GAT - get EAT 6922 tubes...awesome.

If you are thinking Dyn's - you should really think about my SGR's: alot of ex Dyn C2 owners have moved to them here.

Here is a review: SGR CX4F In-Depth Speaker Review by someone who laid down cash.

Just a thought. You could sell a power amp and the JBL's and have change...
Hi Andy, I remember rippingdragon - he was loud and proud in telling everyone that he stole/downloaded most of his music from the internet for free as he did not think there was anything wrong with that.

Puma Cat is a Dynaudio lover.
Stephen - You up to getting rid of your lovely cj tube power amp and dynaudio speakers for a SGR SS active set?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable

Hi Andy, I remember rippingdragon - he was loud and proud in telling everyone that he stole/downloaded most of his music from the internet for free as he did not think there was anything wrong with that.

Puma Cat is a Dynaudio lover.
Stephen - You up to getting rid of your lovely cj tube power amp and dynaudio speakers for a SGR SS active set?
Sorry, but i have nothing positive to say about the Australian built SGR loudspeaker range. SGR are not there IMO. They had their Illuminator Active loudspeakers at the Melbourne HiFI show & their display was one of the biggest. $120k for those tall lifeless one dimensional coffins. An insult to the Implementation of Scanspeak drivers. Speaking with others in the industry on display, SGR received a lot of negative criticism behind the scenes.

As for the CX3B Active stand mounts playing in contention with the Illuminators in the same room (different source), who could tell! It was a circus in that room.

They do make nice audio racks though & should stick to making furniture.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:54 AM
A happy little vegemite..

Oh ...ok...thanks for that Shane and Mypal. Gosh guys...I was just making a suggestion.

Shane - you know I've been one of SGR's biggest critics over the last few years: and I've changed my mind after hearing their actives (and now my 4's) with some tubes up front.

I don't recall Ripping Dragon saying he dl all his music for free. In any event - its abit playing the man mate. No need for that. Assuming he did say he the things you attribute to him does it make his review any less worthwhile?

Joe has had some C2's and C1's for his avatar on and off so I just assumed he was a fan: my bad. Yes I know Stephen likes Dynaudio.

MyPal - I'd probably agree with you if they demo'd with MSB front end: I'm no fan of the combo at all.

But don't you think you are being a little ...ahem...harsh in your assessment. I mean we are all different and like different things. I've heard and/or owned most topographies and happen to find the SGR 4's and CJ ET3 a very nice combo. But what do I know.

Anyway - forget I said anything. Joe isn't going to import a pair into the USA with zero resale, just because I say they are nice. It was a silly idea of mine in the first place.

Cheerio

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 01-04-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPandy
Oh ...ok...thanks for that Shane and Mypal. Gosh guys...I was just making a suggestion.

MyPal - I'd probably agree with you if they demo'd with MSB front end: I'm no fan of the combo at all.

But don't you think you are being a little ...ahem...harsh in your assessment. I mean we are all different and like different things. I've heard and/or owned most topographies and happen to find the SGR 4's and CJ ET3 a very nice combo. But what do I know.

Cheerio

Hi Andy, perhaps I was a little harsh but I can only say it how we all heard it.

I really do like their racks, really.

If its any consolation, there are many great Australian loudspeakers you may like even more. Whatmough, Krix, Aaron, Legend come to mind.

Last edited by MyPal; 01-04-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPandy View Post

Joe has had some C2's and C1's for his avatar on and off so I just assumed he was a fan: my bad. Yes I know Stephen likes Dynaudio.

Anyway - forget I said anything. Joe isn't going to import a pair into the USA with zero resale, just because I say they are nice. It was a silly idea of mine in the first place.

Cheerio
Hi Andy,

I sincerely appreciate the speaker recommendation, thinking about me and what might be great to listen to. That's why I love this place, everyone thinks about each other and gives ideas based on experience and thoughtful consideration. I've been playing all this in my head and as much as actives would make life easier for me, it would take some of the fun and experimentation out. I would miss playing around with all this gear, that's part of the fun.

As far as the Dynaudio speakers, I have have been rotating them in my avatar and do like them. I think what makes the most sense for me are a pair of C1 Sigs. They would probably breath better in my room and sound pretty awesome. Plus, I do have the F113 sub woofers if necessary. I really do want the TAD CR-1's but they are a serious financial commitment at this point and that would preclude other purchases for a long while. Also, I think it's too soon to get any kind of deals on the CR-1's and that's too bad. It's OK, I don't feel like I'm settling with Dyns.

Hey - there's no silly ideas. I appreciate EVERYONE'S advice and direction.

Sorry if I went a little OT on my own thread

Based on my experience with my ET5 and other CJ gear, I NEED a GAT

Last edited by joeinid; 01-04-2012 at 11:23 AM.