AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:33 AM

Default RipNAS

I'm in the early research stage of trying to set up a digital music server, NAS or what ever else I need to accomplish this task. I've also read here on AA.....

Mike's three-part series...Build a GREAT sounding music server - 101
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

E's New Project: The "SilentCUBE" High-Res Audio Playback PC
SilentCube

Jim's Olive 4 HD in house
Olive 4 HD

I hope I didn't miss any other great threads out there.....

Now to one of the purposes of this thread....has anyone tried this little item...
RipNAS

RipNAS | Ripper, NAS & Windows Home Server (WHS)

this seems to work like the MAC Mini?......any feedback would be great. pros and cons from all you Server,rippers,NAS guys out there.

Last edited by 'cisco; 08-18-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:54 AM

THX 'cisco for introducing this new product/brand.

First impression, they really should get their website in order...not very confidence inspiring.

It is an interesting concept and a variation on a theme we see with many other brands.

It does address many of the known issues like drive and fan noise and heat...however it will be fascinating to see who gets it right in the coming months.

I really like the solutions proposed by Mike and E. I also like the Naim UnitiServe SSD where the SSD is only used for the OS and the NAS is somewhere hidden as it should be.

If one wants a "most" future proof design, it is almost inevitable to separate mass storage from the controller/rip unit.

@Mike... I'm curious how the new "cd rom less" Mac Mini would fit in your approach.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:20 PM

I really have to wonder about there first statement: "RipNAS Statement challenges the conception that NAS devices have to be hidden away, both for acoustic and aesthetic reasons, Statement is visually stunning, whilst acoustically designed. Statement combines Audio CD ripping, Network Attached Storage and Media Streaming in one Hi-Fi standard 43cm width box."

What is the acoustic reason? It's bits and bytes on a hard disc. If those bytes are coming from a hard disc in the basement or the office or under the bed what is the difference?

What is the aesthetic reason? Please that is form over function. Worry about what the device playing those bits looks like because that supplies the real function.

That said if someone is not willing to spend the time to figure out the hardware then this might be a good choice for them. But you could spend the time save a bunch of cash (for your high end audio gear) and make a better nas that what they are providing.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:36 AM

Interesting product. I agree with Jem666, the website is kind of amateurish. Leaving the non-audio stuff aside (automated backup for Windows machines, etc), it looks like this is setup only for streaming or USB connectivity - I don't see any SPD/IF interfaces in the specs, and one or two images I've clicked on didn't show the rear panel.

Also I don't see any specs re: supported resolutions. Is this limited to 16/44 ?Oh wait, in the manual they say 24/192 as well.

Quote:
What is the acoustic reason? It's bits and bytes on a hard disc. If those bytes are coming from a hard disc in the basement or the office or under the bed what is the difference?
SurferRosa, I think they are trying to say the Statement has SSDs - so no moving HDDs. If you wanted the device in your listening space, the statement would be silent.

Nothing about the company, who's behind it, etc.

Base Storage Capacity**: 500GB (1x500GB),
1TB (2x500GB)
Audio Encoders: FLAC (default: lossless),
Apple Lossless,
WMA Lossless,
mp3 (Lame)
Music Services: SqueezeCenter (Logitech),
SMB / CIFS (Sonos etc),
iTunes (Apple),
Asset uPNP (100's of devices)
Metadata: AMG, GD3, MusicBrainz &
freedb (for product life-time)
Optical Drive: Teac Slot Loading DVD/CD
Secure Rip Model: AccurateRip & c2 pointers
Rear: 4x USB v2.0, 10/100/1000++ Network
Colors: Silver/White, or Black
Memory: 1GB / 2GB (secure model)
CPU: Efficient Intel Atom
Environmental: 16 - 19 dBA (fan-less design)
Size: 24 x 25 x 8.9 cm 9.4 x 9.8 x 3.5 inches
Weight: 5 KG 11 lbs (Nett)
Construction: Aluminium, Steel, Acrylic
Power: 110VAC - 240AVC, 13W idle usage
Warranty: 1 year RTB

Requirements
Wired connection to home network (broadband router, etc) with Internet access (live metadata).

Media streaming device (Sonos, etc) for audio playback.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:30 PM

For those of us who do not know...what is a NAS?
HAROLD... Pioneer Elite 7.1 Rcvr, (2)MC402 Power Amps, MC58 Multi Channel Amp, Vienna Beethovens and Oratorio Center, Boston Surrounds, (3)Outlaw Subs,(2)PS Audio PPP, Panasonic LCD Proj, Oppo Blu-ray, AppleTV, WireWorld Silver Electra Power Cords.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougit25 View Post
For those of us who do not know...what is a NAS?
NAS = Network Attached Storage. The idea is disks are attached to a network, rather than to a single computer, so the data there can be shared among multiple devices.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:50 PM

Software is the heart of a music server. Hardware is cheap. I choose Apple because they are a software company that moves fast and ease of use is their primary goal. There are a ton of music server companies on the market. Most don't write their own software for the hardware and is slow to update.

Preamps/tuners:McIntosh C50, C46, MR88, MR73, C2200, C22ce, Cary SPL-98L
Integrate amps:McIntosh MA6100, Denon PMA2000ivr
Amps: McIntosh Mc602, Mc2000, Mc275 MK-V, Cary 805ae mono blocks.
Speakers: JMLab Mezzo Utopia, Focal Twin6 BE, Tannoy Mini Autograph
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800, Beyer T1, Denon D7000, Grado RS1i, Sony MDR-SA5000, MDR-Z1000, AKG K701, and many many more
Digital Sources:Sony SCD-1 & SCD777es, CDP-XA7es, 2010 Mac Mini Music Server, Amarra Mini player, Musical Fidelity V-Link & M1 DAC, Apogee Mini-DAC & Duet 2
Old 08-19-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
NAS = Network Attached Storage. The idea is disks are attached to a network, rather than to a single computer, so the data there can be shared among multiple devices.
Thanks John.
HAROLD... Pioneer Elite 7.1 Rcvr, (2)MC402 Power Amps, MC58 Multi Channel Amp, Vienna Beethovens and Oratorio Center, Boston Surrounds, (3)Outlaw Subs,(2)PS Audio PPP, Panasonic LCD Proj, Oppo Blu-ray, AppleTV, WireWorld Silver Electra Power Cords.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_AmTraX View Post
Software is the heart of a music server. Hardware is cheap. I choose Apple because they are a software company that moves fast and ease of use is their primary goal. There are a ton of music server companies on the market. Most don't write their own software for the hardware and is slow to update.
Mike I just finished reading your 3 part Build a Great sounding music server 101. Excellent Job!

It looks simple enough that even I could build one. Awesome!!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem666 View Post
I really like the solutions proposed by Mike and E. I also like the Naim UnitiServe SSD where the SSD is only used for the OS and the NAS is somewhere hidden as it should be.

If one wants a "most" future proof design, it is almost inevitable to separate mass storage from the controller/rip unit.
+1 I'd add only item about the use of SSD vs. HD. SSD does provide a much improved sound quality! When this little pipe bomb revelation was dropped. It occurred to me that most have no clue on good there current D/A actually is capable of doing! When the SSD is the OS, and the data is on another drive/NAS!

Ken
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000