AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesailor View Post
Outputs appear to be only SPDIF so unlikely it would be able to send out DSD.

So it would have to rely on the internal Wolfson DACs to do the decoding
Old 12-06-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzr View Post
MSB Universal Media Transport, does the whole thing.

Straight from the site:-The DSD option - MSB offers a very special mode for the UMT. By installing special DSD mode firmware, native DSD will be output when a SACD is played. This DSD stream can be connected to a DSD ready DAC like the MSB DAC IV or can be saved on your computer to add to your playlist.
I have a MSB UMT (a massively modified Oppo 93), and the native DSD output is via a proprietary connection to the MSB DAC. As required by Sony/DSD format "rules". I see no way of getting this native stream into a computer. So it is not an option for the OP and his existing DAC.

As an aside, the UMT is a monstrous improvement over the Oppo 95 as a digital music transport, whether for SACD or Redbook. Yet retains all the video functionality of the Oppo source player. Whilst MSB advise that the HDMI Audio should be turned off, I found no difference in sound quality leaving it on. So Kev, it might be worth your while if you can replace your Oppo 95 with one at some time. They are US based players regardless of the distribution source, but are multi region. And you already have the power supply. Sounds very good, but not as good as a Mac/PC stream to me. Unlike Doggie, I do not have a preference for DSD over HR PCM.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Go Go White Sox!!

In the price range that the OP suggests, I think the best option is a new Oppo 105. Plays almost any disc (if it is anything like my 93, it will play scratched CDs that my Cary and my buddy's Wadia 781i won't), and it has digital inputs to be used as a DAC. From personal experience, I know that some of the other suggestions made in this thread are good, but the OP did state a $2,000 limit.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc
In the price range that the OP suggests, I think the best option is a new Oppo 105. Plays almost any disc (if it is anything like my 93, it will play scratched CDs that my Cary and my buddy's Wadia 781i won't), and it has digital inputs to be used as a DAC. From personal experience, I know that some of the other suggestions made in this thread are good, but the OP did state a $2,000 limit.
+1
Old 12-06-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
+1
It seems, however, that my only option for playing SACD's using the Oppo 105 would be to playback through their internal DAC. Better than nothing considering my price range, but I doubt the 105 DAC can hold a candle to the ARC DAC8.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindostevesan View Post
It seems, however, that my only option for playing SACD's using the Oppo 105 would be to playback through their internal DAC. Better than nothing considering my price range, but I doubt the 105 DAC can hold a candle to the ARC DAC8.
Modwright is proposing both tube and solid mods for the 105. I think that the solid state mod and 105 may comin in at around $2k.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:16 PM

Definitely a modded version is worth considering. Given your budget, compromises will have to be made, so yes, the DAC8 is likely superior. However, the Oppo 105 DAC doesn't suck. It sounds quite good for the money. Given its features, digital inputs, especially ASync USB - it's ridiculously good. Might be one of the best values in all of hi-fi.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
Definitely a modded version is worth considering. Given your budget, compromises will have to be made, so yes, the DAC8 is likely superior. However, the Oppo 105 DAC doesn't suck. It sounds quite good for the money. Given its features, digital inputs, especially ASync USB - it's ridiculously good. Might be one of the best values in all of hi-fi.
You're right, the Oppo 105 is a great option for me. Actually this thread has led me to investigate and subsequently lust after the Emm Labs Dac2X, although that doesn't solve the issue of my music server not being able to handle SACD's. It's a dangerous hobby, this, the way one thing leads to another (which was a large part of my motivation for going with Shindo. When will Ken do digital?)
Old 12-06-2012, 12:58 PM

Given Steve's incredible system, is the 105 "good enough" for those other components? I know he set a price limit, but would he notice the difference of a k-03 sufficiently to be recommended?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:05 AM

Because I'm new to this site I'm apparently not permitted to begin a new thread. However, if anyone responding to the CD questions reads this and has suggestions for helping me put together a system around an Olive music server, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks much.