AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 10-10-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post
He wasn't speaking of a car -- it's more of a part of the anatomy with a 17 year old. Some, who are fast refer to it as a turbo -- others go so far as to give it a first and last name -- Porsche Turbo in this case, I guess.

Best

Bob
I bet the girlfriends are NOT impressed!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Rebellious!

Oh , found that Bluetooth is standard on '09 and later, very important feature!

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 AM

If you are immune to rattles and poor build quality than a 996 would be the one.

Just the memory of that horrific looking dash makes me want to run!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:16 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
If you are after a C4 of the 996 generation, they can be picked up at very, very good prices but I would advise to put aside some $$$ in case it needs to be repaired. They are usually fairly reliable but the added complexity of the all wheel drive system sometimes needs attention and can be rather expensive to fix. It is a $10k repair bill for the C4 should the all wheel drive system fail. That's not to say it will but it has happened before....

!
The cars I drive, should I get a $10,000 repair bill, I'd just haul the car to the vehicle junk yard crusher place, and I could buy another three just like it for about that same price.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 10-10-2012, 11:44 AM

Here is a cynical view ...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...e-911-996-3-4/

I have seen dealers try to deny what's obvious a design issue as normal. Audi does the same thinkgon carbon buildup.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestone
Here is a cynical view ...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...e-911-996-3-4/

I have seen dealers try to deny what's obvious a design issue as normal. Audi does the same thinkgon carbon buildup.
Good article. TTAC isn't really the truth, it just a open forum for savvy car peeps (and Internet fiends) to express their minds. I think there is some validity to it, however best solved by having a good relationship and access to a reputable service shop. Which is few and far between but there are a few peppered throughout New England. Hatch & Sons comes to mind.

My interest is waining at this point. Ultimately my choice will be served by what do I have access to and how will I sustain it. Plus I have to budget for all the Mac gear I want too!

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 10-10-2012, 12:50 PM

Ahem, the male anatomy comments were not necessary and pertinent to the conversation at all. I could never understand that logic, do men really think women are that stupid when they hear their boyfriend make a comment about someone else's nicer car and penis size out of desperation and his own insecurities ??? Of course I especially did not appreciate that since it was directed towards my SON and we Russians are extremely protective of our kids.

Not that a 17 year old who is into fitness, has studied martial arts and benches 280 lbs at 17 needs much of my own protection.

Besides, middle-aged couch potato audiophiles can only dream of the female encounter opportunities, energy, testosterone levels and stamina of a 17 year old... That he drives a 911 only works for him, not against him if you know what I mean and I've seen some of his female "friends"....

Back to topic of the thread now and the reason I brought up my son's car to begin with was: I think the 996 platform is one of the greatest values out there today. It may be viewed as somehow inferior but I have to say that it is still very much a Porsche and a great one at that. It is ahead of 993 in terms of balance and handling at the limit as is every generation going forward gets better and better... It is lighter by some 300 lbs than the 997 and feels it and is just a fun, fun car for the money.

By the way, the comments about the rattles are to be taken with a grain of salt. Ultimately it depends on how and where the car was driven and taken care of. We picked a 2001 Turbo with slightly less than 30k miles on it and it is tight as a drum and runs perfectly and puts out more HP than stock. How long it will remain tight as a drum and rattle free remains to be seen but my son has plans to track the car next summer so the preparations have begun in terms of suspension work and the car now rides on lower and stiffer H&R springs... I am sure by the time my son is done with it, it will most likely have plenty of squeaks and rattles.

Last edited by PHC1; 10-10-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
The cars I drive, should I get a $10,000 repair bill, I'd just haul the car to the vehicle junk yard crusher place, and I could buy another three just like it for about that same price.

Julian be careful of crushing older cars, you never know, they may be worth more than some of the new ones.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:59 PM

I will give my bias. I have a very low mile 993tt tucked away and I doubt I would ever sell it. I used it as a daily for several years and it was great.

Every time I look at or drive a newer one it just isn't the same. A gt compared to the much smaller 993. (True of most cars getting bigger. A new 3 series BMW is bigger than my e34 M5 I used to own)

But as a daily driver newer would be better.

I guess value wouldn't get me to a 996. I would go even older, but I like older cars!

I think serge's points are right though.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1

Julian be careful of crushing older cars, you never know, they may be worth more than some of the new ones.
I was thinking the same thing! What's under that hood scoop?