AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:19 PM

Default NAD M51-my review

When I finally made the decision to go computer based audio, I bought a Audiolab MDAC.
It was reasonable, had great reviews and thought it would be a good first step.
I was very surprised (in a good way) of the mid range detail I was hearing and the wide soundstage.
However, I did find the overall sound to be a bit bright regardless of the digital filter I selected.
Running via USB, I was limited to 24/96 but it didn’t feel limiting at all.
Still, there was the digital brightness I couldn’t get past.

A local dealer was having a NAD event, showing off the M50,51,52 so I decided to attend.
I was completely blown away by what I was listening to.
Playing redbook cd’s through the M50 and powered by the NAD M2, i was amazed.
The sound was detailed, on the warm side of neutral with a well defined bass and smooth highs.
The soundstage was very wide with space between instruments and each layer of music was defined.
I also liked the fact that I didn’t have to decide which filter best fit the track I was playing. Too many options made me nuts because I was constantly thinking another filter was better than the one I selected.
On the M51, there is the PCM to PWM conversion that you cannot turn off or alter and outside of choosing between a fixed or variable volume and an option to for positive or negative polarity (which I still am trying to understand), it’s basically plug and play. In my case, it’s a Cardas USB cable to my laptop, JRiver software and balanced out from the NAD to my Mcintosh.
Ive clocked maybe 15hrs total listening time and I think as it settles into itself further, even more will be revealed.
Great DAC at a great price.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiezaffa View Post
When I finally made the decision to go computer based audio, I bought a Audiolab MDAC.
It was reasonable, had great reviews and thought it would be a good first step.
I was very surprised (in a good way) of the mid range detail I was hearing and the wide soundstage.
However, I did find the overall sound to be a bit bright regardless of the digital filter I selected.
Running via USB, I was limited to 24/96 but it didn’t feel limiting at all.
Still, there was the digital brightness I couldn’t get past.

A local dealer was having a NAD event, showing off the M50,51,52 so I decided to attend.
I was completely blown away by what I was listening to.
Playing redbook cd’s through the M50 and powered by the NAD M2, i was amazed.
The sound was detailed, on the warm side of neutral with a well defined bass and smooth highs.
The soundstage was very wide with space between instruments and each layer of music was defined.
I also liked the fact that I didn’t have to decide which filter best fit the track I was playing. Too many options made me nuts because I was constantly thinking another filter was better than the one I selected.
On the M51, there is the PCM to PWM conversion that you cannot turn off or alter and outside of choosing between a fixed or variable volume and an option to for positive or negative polarity (which I still am trying to understand), it’s basically plug and play. In my case, it’s a Cardas USB cable to my laptop, JRiver software and balanced out from the NAD to my Mcintosh.
Ive clocked maybe 15hrs total listening time and I think as it settles into itself further, even more will be revealed.
Great DAC at a great price.
Thanks for the review. The M51 is definitely a top notch DAC and was highly reviewed by Stereophile (JA reviewed it if I remember correctly).
Old 11-28-2012, 10:36 PM

Mark...thanks for the review. Looks like an interesting piece. Just curious - did you audition any other DACs (similar price range or not) and how did you decide on the M51 over the other candidates (if there were any)? Thx
Old 11-29-2012, 03:55 AM

Thanks for sharing...a shootout between the NAD M51 and the Bryston BDA2 seems like fun...love to hear from people who get the chance to hear them side by side...THX
Old 11-29-2012, 06:19 AM

I love my M51 and it will not be going anywhere soon, well worth a listen if you are serious about a digital setup.

Last edited by essjay; 11-29-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Mark...thanks for the review. Looks like an interesting piece. Just curious - did you audition any other DACs (similar price range or not) and how did you decide on the M51 over the other candidates (if there were any)? Thx
Yes, compared it to the Weiss Dac202. I found the sound very comparable if not a slight edge to the NAD...but then again, I might be biased.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:47 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Stereophile Review

NAD M51 Direct Digital D/A converter | Stereophile.com
Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Merry Christmas to all

This looks like a slick installation.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-08-2012, 12:28 PM

Based on your thread, I did a little web research on this unit. Other than some QC problems, this appears to be a killer unit. Like with all new-kid-on-the-block, flavor-of-the-month pieces, a great deal of salt is needed, but people are saying it beats the W4S dac2 and Bryston dac, and also compares favorably with the current darlings like the PWD and even the BADA dacs for a lot less money. Lets see how the new D100 Mac Dac stacks up here. The dac wars rage on!
Speakers: Canton Ref K3