AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 01-25-2015, 04:31 PM

Default Rega with SF?

Considering an Elicit-R (162 watts into 4 ohm load).
Wondering if this is a good match? I have found the Krell S300i to sound overall well balanced...but quite boring overall. Big bass, but seems to drag music down a bit.
I owned Rega Apollo and Brio-R in the past and always liked their pacing. Though neither were really high resolution pieces.
Supposedly the Elicit-R offers more power of course along with Poly caps and much more transparent volume control.
Good match with Guarneri EVOs or...?
Old 01-25-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post
Considering an Elicit-R (162 watts into 4 ohm load). Wondering if this is a good match? I have found the Krell S300i to sound overall well balanced...but quite boring overall. Big bass, but seems to drag music down a bit. I owned Rega Apollo and Brio-R in the past and always liked their pacing. Though neither were really high resolution pieces. Supposedly the Elicit-R offers more power of course along with Poly caps and much more transparent volume control. Good match with Guarneri EVOs or...?
Get the biggest amp you can afford S/f can be power hungry. If you like your music loud fo extended periods all these little integrated amps just run out of steam.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1 View Post
Get the biggest amp you can afford S/f can be power hungry. If you like your music loud fo extended periods all these little integrated amps just run out of steam.
80-90% of my listening is at 65-75 db or less.
Once in a while it will be up for 10 minutes on a song that demands it, but not typical for me.
Just my experience so far, but none of the more potent SS amps I have owned have much finesse.
Even the Bryston 4BSST2 was a bit of a sledgehammer.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:19 PM

Also when HiFi News tested it, the Elicit-R did 200 watts into 4 ohm load. The Guarneri Evolutions load is virtually all around or above 5 ohms.
It outputs 15.5 amps too. I would guess this would be plenty for my smaller room (11'x15'). I was hoping to get feedback on the overall house sounds when put together...?
Old 01-25-2015, 09:56 PM

Don't know about Rega, but would recommend you to try Luxman amplifier. My 507-u is
really nice with Evos. Exciting and involved sound with a nice touch of finesse. Not for loud listening, but for night hours perfect.
However, needs lot of burn in time.

Good luck in your quest.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:42 AM

Hi Bavarian!

I really do agree with you that listening to music should not be boring. And that one of the important factors is PRAT.

I realized that too and thats why I went into Pass Labs INT30. After listening to a few other amps, this was the amp where I caught myself:
- could not stop tapping my foot
- could listen hours long and whished for more
- many times made me smile even if I didnt have any reason whatsoever

Of course, in audio everyting counts, but I think PRAT is more important than flat frequency, bass control and deepness, or imaging. I also rather appreciate realistic timber.

I didnt want to say that PASS is the way to go (albeit you could try the new INT60 or INT250). Just look for PRAT!!!

PS: I love SF Evos, maybe one day...
Old 01-26-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusta View Post
Don't know about Rega, but would recommend you to try Luxman amplifier. My 507-u is really nice with Evos. Exciting and involved sound with a nice touch of finesse. Not for loud listening, but for night hours perfect. However, needs lot of burn in time. Good luck in your quest.
My dealer recommended the L-350A II.
40 watts enough?
Old 01-27-2015, 07:29 AM

Here is an interesting read - http://www.audiophile.no/articles-te...neri-evolution

Most reviews did indicate GE is a little thirsty for more juice and I had similar results too. Often the spec maybe be a little different from the real world performance. It will surely work and some may even prefer a lower wattage to drive GE...and prefer the sound that way. So it's preference too...cheers!
Old 01-27-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
40 watts enough?
I thought you were selling your Evos?

It isn't the watts, it's the current. Not enough of the latter, and the bass will lack extension and be a little soft. Nothing to do with playback volume - you will hear this effect at any volume. The specs on the Elicit seem fine.

I used a Pass INT-30A with the Evo and it was good in the bass. My Burmester 082, which has a higher power rating, couldn't provide enough current to control the bass drivers as well. But the Burmester was much (MUCH) better, for me, on the top end than the Pass amp. I should have bought an 032, which has a similar power rating than the 082, but a much bigger power transformer, LOL!

So look at how the amp increases power into low impedance as a guide. The Evos are just as demanding (if not more so) as my Amati BTW - phase angle at the crossover is as important as impedance.

If your dealer is nice, perhaps he will lend you a Luxman to try out? I haven't heard them, but my understanding is that the Class A and Class AB models do not sound as full as Accuphase or Pass. The 350 is only 20w at 8ohms. Sounds below marginal to me (for a SS amp).

If you are after a relatively low cost integrated that will not pull down the potential performance of the Evos too much, perhaps try and get hold of a Hegel H160? I haven't heard one yet, but I'd like to.

Maybe a Naim Supernait 2, as I suspect this might at minimum match the Rega amps on pacing, and exceed them on resolution?

These two might provide the kind of dynamic "shading" with decent resolution that you are looking for.

The Evos, as I'm sure you know, are quite resolving speakers and whilst they will play and sound nice with just about anything, they need a very good amp to start approaching their potential. Otherwise with "just" a nice amp they will
sound... nice
Old 01-27-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
40 watts enough?
I think it will not be enough, but to gain insight into the sound of Luxman, sure thing. Glisse nicely explained Evos need for current. Of course, more powerful and more expensive amplifier will be a better choice.

You have to be patient, put lot of music through them, and you'll be rewarded. After a year, I feel they are better sounding day by day.