AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 11-18-2014, 03:58 PM

Default SF Cremona Auditor M vs Focal 1008 BE experiences

Hello all,

I'm wondering if people would be willing to share experiences of the two mentioned speakers?

In general, SF are characterized with a more romantic sound, and the Focal with a more clean (even top heavy) sound.

Amir
Old 11-18-2014, 07:18 PM

Funnily enough, in two of my systems I am using SF speakers, and in two others, Focal: one being 1007Be.

So I can give some general comments:
  • Modern, as in latest, SF are becoming less "romantic", and more "transparent:, if I can use those as guidelines rather than exact terms.
  • Modern Focal are becoming smoother, and less aggresive.
  • My 1007Be are a little hot in the treble, relative to the mid band. The 1008/1xx8 range have a better crossover design in that the blend between mids and treble is more seamless.
  • The Beryllium HF driver is not at all harsh, in fact it is superb - but it is ruthless at exposing any issues with DACs/ amps/cables. The SF are a little more forgiving.
  • The bass in the Focal is very tight and punchy, more so than the SF.
  • The Focal seems to emphasise the initial transient, the SF tends to emphasise the harmonics. To further expand on this, the first thing you tend to notice with the SF is the midrange, whereas the first thing you notice with the Focal is the bass and treble.
If I just listened to rock and pop, I would probably get the Focal. If I just listened to classical and jazz, I would probably get the SF. But it would come down to what amp I was using. Best to try if possible.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
Funnily enough, in two of my systems I am using SF speakers, and in two others, Focal: one being 1007Be.

So I can give some general comments:
  • Modern, as in latest, SF are becoming less "romantic", and more "transparent:, if I can use those as guidelines rather than exact terms.
  • Modern Focal are becoming smoother, and less aggresive.
  • My 1007Be are a little hot in the treble, relative to the mid band. The 1008/1xx8 range have a better crossover design in that the blend between mids and treble is more seamless.
  • The Beryllium HF driver is not at all harsh, in fact it is superb - but it is ruthless at exposing any issues with DACs/ amps/cables. The SF are a little more forgiving.
  • The bass in the Focal is very tight and punchy, more so than the SF.
  • The Focal seems to emphasise the initial transient, the SF tends to emphasise the harmonics. To further expand on this, the first thing you tend to notice with the SF is the midrange, whereas the first thing you notice with the Focal is the bass and treble.
If I just listened to rock and pop, I would probably get the Focal. If I just listened to classical and jazz, I would probably get the SF. But it would come down to what amp I was using. Best to try if possible.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:20 AM

Thank you very much for the feedback.

In my opinion, when I listen the Cremona Auditor Ms, operatic vocals will just melt you - just awash in emotion.
In my home, it's kind of funny, my wife likes to go to the opera, but won't necessarily listen to it for leisure. I was playing Turandot two weeks ago, and my little 14 month girl came over to me and sat down to listen. Pretty awesome feeling.

When I hear the Focal, the are definitely airy in the top end - and I don't think they give up much with respect to bass against the Dynaudio C1 in certain types of music. I don't think they convey emotion as well, if that makes any sense.

Physically, the speakers each fulfill their own design ethos. The Sonus Faber are modeled after a musical instrument, and the Focal are designed like a modern musical instrument.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:41 PM

It does make sense. Other options to consider, given your comments, would be the Olympia 1, or a s/h Guarneri. Any Guarneri. The latter will get you all the way to where I think you want to go.

Or just enjoy any speaker listening with your daughter - that sounds pretty perfect to me too
Old 12-15-2014, 11:45 PM

Had a listen to the Focal 1028 BE and Olymica I, and Cremona Auditor M on the weekend.

The store I went to, didn't have the Focal 1008 BE.

The Focal sounded good, extended, strong presence through the frequency band. They made music, but were by no means as aesthetically pleasing as the either SF.

The Olympica Is were technically more capable than the Cremona Auditor Ms, but the Ms made music. The Olympicas were technically accurate, but the music making wasn't as strong as the predecessor.

Now, I was in a bit of a crappy mood, so it may taint my quick observations.

But sitting here in my hotel room on Monday night, I look forward to listening the Cremona Auditor Ms.