AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:16 AM

Default Roon -vs- JRiver

Looking for opinions. I am currently using JRiver but I hear about Roon. Researching Roon and I find many people who feel JRiver does as good of job while others swear by Roon. I have even seen a few threads where the conclusion if that JRiver is better.

I know, from what I have read, Roon has superior meta data and information in regards to the album and performers. I have also read that it does not have as much customization and does not offer as many over all features as JRiver. I also read that it has a much steeper learning curve.

I do not care much for the meta data and additional information and care nothing about streaming services. Ease of use and setup including all needed functions and features is paramount to me.

Sound Quality is far and away the top concern. I have read from most reports that they are appear to be equivalent. I read a few stating that JRiver was better SQ and one (Mc forum so...) stating that Roon was better.

Price is obviously a concern, however if Roon is definitely superior than it may be worth the $120 a year or $499 once versus the $50 I have already paid for JRiver for three of my computers.

Therefore, please give me your opinions... is it that much better, if at all? Is it worth the price. Which is better sound quality if all else were equal?

Thank you for your input.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:15 AM
Rebellious!

I have both.

Roon is getting better with every update and works with Tidal.

JRiver is a more than meets the eye, if you want sexy metadata - load up Allmusic.com (same as Roon) in a JRiver tab and have at it.

Roon has a trial period, check it out.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:34 AM

Hmmm.... might have to check out the Allmusic.com thingy... I don't care at all about Tidal... I do not do streaming at all...maybe down the road???? who knows....
Old 03-06-2016, 05:12 AM

I started with Audirvana then moved to Roon and have not looked back.

Very nice interface and seamless with Macbook and iPad operations.
Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Dan D'Agostino Momentum PRE & S250 | Esoteric P02x & D02x | Torus AVR2-16 | Marantz AV8805 | Panasonic UB9000 | Bryston 7B3 & 9BSST2 | ScreenTechnics 125" 2.37 Screen | JVC X7900 | Krix A20 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2)
Old 03-06-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
JRiver is a more than meets the eye, if you want sexy metadata - load up Allmusic.com (same as Roon) in a JRiver tab and have at it.
can you expand on this a bit?

what does this do, how is this done?

I assume it has something to do with the tab windows in JRiver??
Old 03-06-2016, 10:38 AM
Audio Enthusiast

I've moved on from JRiver to Bughead. The sound quality of BH is superior to JRiver in my experience and it seems to interface with my equipment better.
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 03-06-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
I've moved on from JRiver to Bughead. The sound quality of BH is superior to JRiver in my experience and it seems to interface with my equipment better.
I have heard the same about Bughead Emperor. But is the manual for Bughead in Japanese? Are there any good English support links for Bughead?
Old 03-06-2016, 11:26 AM
Music Provides Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohippo View Post
I started with Audirvana then moved to Roon and have not looked back. Very nice interface and seamless with Macbook and iPad operations.
Same. Room with Tidal built in for exploration is a game changer, imo

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfr01 View Post
Same. Room with Tidal built in for exploration is a game changer, imo
Agreed. I really feel like I have a "virtually" unlimited library now. The interface is seamless, and my own hi-rez files sound good.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 03-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
can you expand on this a bit?

what does this do, how is this done?

I assume it has something to do with the tab windows in JRiver??
Yes sir!

JRiver is crossplatform, generally features are matched across systems.

JRiver
  • allows you to stream to a mobile phone or remote computer (outside your network) through a built in web-server. via JRemote App JRemote
  • provides powerful tools to create DSP Soundfields, Crossovers, and analyze the audio spectrum.
  • provides the ability to customize the interface and user experience.
  • provides the ability to sync with drives and mobile devices.
  • In depth smart playlist and user statistics.

Roon

currently doesn't provide much of the above. It's much more simple (a benefit).

---

Other comments

Those comments are just the tip of the iceberg for other people, but they stick out to me.

As a heavy iTunes, Roon, and JRiver user I can attest that all of these programs crash or fail at interval* that causes me to lose interest and move to the next thing. Right now I am back to hardware players. Turntable, SACD, CD Players,etc. There is little to get in the way when I want to listen to music with physical media and hardware players.

I am coming back around. I pulled my McIntosh MS300 Media Server** and two 400 Disc Sony Changers from the garage and powered it up last week. The MS300 has the facility to play, rip and manage my CDs in the CD Changers. With the MS300 loaded up with FLAC and the CD Changers filled up, I have about 1800 Albums to choose from. I don't know exactly why, yet, that I love the MSXXX servers, but they make me feel like I am using an "old school" jukebox. Especially with the direct access commands. i.e. "Macro C,1,D45, enter" for "Play the album in changer 2, disc 45." Follow up with "Macro, T, 2, enter" for track 2. It's very simple.

Looking ahead at other "hardware" media servers, or servers that are purpose built. There appears to be a great offering from Aurender, Lumin, and even Roon has one (through ELAC).

Maybe look at what's going to be around in ten years? I know McIntosh, Apple's iTunes will be there. Possibly JRiver. I would not place bets on the rest... for now.

Just my thoughts on a Sunday.

Best,
Bill

*my subjective option, some last a week some last a day, none have gone over a month. It may just be me.
** There are some snafu's with MS300, whole 'nother topic- none of it's music playback issues. Its a great player.