AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Products? I only have experience with a few... Mcintosh D100, auralic vega, ARC cd6, esoteric k03...

Implementation? Lots of things. Power supplies (type and quality) , clock accuracy, number of dacs, configuration of dacs, chassis rigidity, etc.
Sounds like more than a few. And some of the very best at that. You raise all of the fine points regarding sound. Some folks are luckier than others.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post

Sounds like more than a few. And some of the very best at that. You raise all of the fine points regarding sound. Some folks are luckier than others.
There are more affordable options. A used d100 should be a great option now that the d150 is out.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
:*differences to Disc Players such as the McIntosh MCD1100 or Esoteric Disc Players.
Bill brought up a good point to me earlier this week regarding a discussion between the Pono and iPod. I posed a question to him about why are we comparing the Pono to the iPod and not the other hi-res players on the market such as Astell and Kern. True to form, he brought it home with his impeccable logic in that the Pono is the first, I guess, reasonably priced Hi-Res player that is affordable to the general public and is relatively close to the iPod price point. The AK240 costs I think 5x the MSRP and there are other players in this price range.

So, about that OPPO. There are a plethora of players that may out perform but you are going to pay a ton. And, as a matter of fact, I just purchased new, the MCD1100 at the player that runs 10 grand. The Esoteric, if I recall one of there best is around 20 grand. The OPPO, I own 2 BDP105Ds of these and paid $1,100 each [no tax and free shipping] for my two home theatre rooms. Well, I migrated one over to my office rig because of the easy digital streaming feature and it performs beautiful I have played it again the MCD550, C2500 and D100 over and over and never heard, if any, a difference. However, when I receive the MCD1100 in the next few weeks, I'll compare. But my guess is that the OPPO is really gong to shine... that little beast is cheap and over-whelmingly filled with options.

As for the Esoteric, this may very well be a remarkable device but, you will pay 20g's versus 1,100 - 1,500 bucks.

The OPPO so far of all the media serving products I have used, is the easiest to navigate. Plug in drive and BOOM! Serving up digital files instantly: audio, photo and video effortlessly.

I'm lazy...OPPO makes is ridiculously easy and I love this.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post
Joe, off topic. Love your avatar. I am a huge DCD, Cocteau Twins, etc fan and have seen them many times over the past 20 years. Great taste! Sorry, off topic, but had to comment.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
..."The chip itself means nothing. The implementation is everything."...
Makes sense. Kinda like the mega pixel myth. If the implementation of the cmos capturing the data is lousy, doesn't mater how many MPs. Junk.

Makes sense to me, ELJR.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
Has anyone seen the 105 in silver? In some online photos in looks grainy.

Thanks,
I have in person. Reminds me of the days when I had a silver in colour Pioneer system. Just silver. I chose black.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:11 PM

yes that is a good description
Old 03-01-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Products? I only have experience with a few... Mcintosh D100, auralic vega, ARC cd6, esoteric k03...

Implementation? Lots of things. Power supplies (type and quality) , clock accuracy, number of dacs, configuration of dacs, chassis rigidity, etc.
Interesting that you say that the MCD 100 is better sounding than the Oppo 105.

I debated between the MCD 100 and the Oppo HA1 and went with the HA 1. I did this based on my experience with other McIntosh sources and my impressions listening to both the Oppo 103 and 105.

Now, I believe you if you say the MCD 100 sounds better than the Oppo 105 but I'd be shocked if it got through a level matched double blind as anything other than induistiguable. Of course I have never heard the MCD 100.

I even (short term) put the HA 1 into my McIntosh system. Used it as a preamp and used it as a dac. Indistinguishable to me. Maybe because I don't listen well or because I did not expect that I would hear a difference. I know for sure I am a poor listener.

Now, I know the Oppo HA1 and Oppo 105 are not the same but at worse they are similar, the same level. and to be fair, I have never had the 105 in my lead system as I did the HA 1 temporarily.

For me, and only me, I have definitely come to the conclusion that it's probably gonna take a substantial upgrade $$$ to hear a difference.

Hence my interest in the MCD 1100. I am looking for tangibles that make sense. If I can understand what, in quantitative, qualitative terms, makes it so much better (which it is) then I'll be able to judge other products better.

thanks for taking the time to answer

I am gonna look into a few other things you offered to see how significat they may be to the end product.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
Makes sense. Kinda like the mega pixel myth. If the implementation of the cmos capturing the data is lousy, doesn't mater how many MPs. Junk.

Makes sense to me, ELJR.
I am not a tech guy and I get the point but it becomes a matter of how significant.

Here is where I am coming from. I know the "science guys" leave quantitative, qualitative stuff off the table claiming double blinds makes them unimportant without any such verification. On the other hand, I know many folks from the other side hear improvements in things that are just not there. Can't be measured, can't be verified in double blinds.

I figure, the middle ground is how you maximize your system in a reasonable manner. You can't say everything sounds the same, you can't say I paid a grand more so it sounds better.

Anyway, that is my approach.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
Joe, off topic. Love your avatar. I am a huge DCD, .
I was gonna comment on that also. Big fan here too.