AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:44 AM

Default Oppo 105 as Primary Disc Player and DAC

I am working on building a system and would like to dedicate most of my dollars to analog side. I was wondering if anyone out there was using the Oppo 105 as their primary disc player and DAC. I am interested in hearing about any possible shortcomings in sound quality with a device that does so many things.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:10 AM

I started a thread recently here that has a lot of good information. I'm sure there are lots of posts about the 105.

Bottom line : great player for the price, especially considering the versatility, but spending more does get you more in terms of a dac.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:42 AM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadave View Post
I am working on building a system and would like to dedicate most of my dollars to analog side. I was wondering if anyone out there was using the Oppo 105 as their primary disc player and DAC. I am interested in hearing about any possible shortcomings in sound quality with a device that does so many things.
Since your intent for the digital side is more casual listening, I think an Oppo 105 is a great "bang for the buck" choice. My listening is 90% digital so I went from Oppo 83SE to BAT VK-5SE to Esoteric K-01. My Oppo was good, but not great for two channel audio. For movies it is fabulous.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:57 AM

Currently, I am using the Oppo BDP105 for most of my digital needs. I also have a Cambridge Audio 840C CD player. I have had nearly every model Oppo DVD player and the 83se Bluray...I'm a big fan of the Oppo brand..I can say that the Oppo was a great sounding addition to my system, with Bryston gear and B&W and later Salk Soundscape 8 speakers...It is a great value especially if your digital side is taking second place to an analog front end..

Having said that, I recently upgraded my system to an ARC Ref5SE and Revel Salon2 speakers, in an acoustically well treated room and now I can say that this piece is my weak link in my system.

So, depending on your priorities, and how revealing your system is, you should be pretty happy with the Oppo. I like all the features the Oppo brings. I use a 4TB hard disc and the Oppo media Control app, when I'm lazy and don't want to get up and spin discs, CD, DVD-a, SACD and BLUray music from it now. I am courting the idea to add a DAC to it for all it's functionality, or replace it with a higher end CD/SACD player (Esoteric K03X possibly), knowing that I will lose DVD-A and Bluray music capabilities...I hope that helped...Pete
Old 03-01-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadave View Post
I am interested in hearing about any possible shortcomings in sound quality with a device that does so many things.
There are none. Honest.

I put it in my second system and it quickly became my most loved piece of equipment.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:28 AM

I use one as primary digital source - does a great job for casual listening. I too focussed on putting my money into analogue.

If you outgrow it, you can use a separate dac but I have found no need.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
spending more does get you more in terms of a dac.
THe $10,000 McIntosh player, MCD1100, uses the same Dac, ESS SABRE32 Reference Audiophile DAC, correct?

So what DAC/product does one need to upgrade to in order to achieve "more in terms of a DAC?"

Old 03-01-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
THe $10,000 McIntosh player, MCD1100, uses the same Dac, ESS SABRE32 Reference Audiophile DAC, correct?

So what DAC/product does one need to upgrade to in order to achieve "more in terms of a DAC?"

I am pretty sure the MCD1100 uses a higher number of saber DAC's per channel than the Oppo. The Oppo is a audiophile bargain for sure. I have the Oppo 95 in my home theater and occasionally use it to listen to a cd/sacd but its main purpose is blu ray. I have never done a head to head double blind test with my MCD500 but my guess would be that they sound different.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I am pretty sure the MCD1100 uses a higher number of saber DAC's per channel than the Oppo. The Oppo is a audiophile bargain for sure. I have the Oppo 95 in my home theater and occasionally use it to listen to a cd/sacd but its main purpose is blu ray. I have never done a head to head double blind test with my MCD500 but my guess would be that they sound different.
The Oppo using one Dac chip for stereo.

Just looked it up. The the MCD1100 uses 4 DAC chips per channel for stereo so the noise floor must be considerably lowered.

Last edited by eljr; 03-01-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Rebellious!

The Oppo Players are simply awesome and of great value. They have almost all the capabilities that the modern AV nerd wants in his or her Digital Audio and Video Playback.

(Special thanks to Golucid)
So playing music and movies on the Oppo is simple.

Plug in a FAT32 formatted drive with your content.

Get the Control App and select your USB device. No internet, no network- easy!

This is how it looks on the TV.

App Control view

File browser view (app &TV)