AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas View Post
I like the stack effect also. Ok I switched up the cds playing The Fairfield Four and James Blunt right now. The cds sound better than the mac mini I say more like 5% better but it probably would be higher with a top notch system( whatever that is). Still going back and forth between the cd and the mini. Overall the sound has a lot more resolution but it still posses those analog qualities. Vince from MSB is sending me out a Diamond cable to hook the power supply to the dac. He say it makes a big improvement and is better than their stock cord. What else is he going to say. This cable comes automatically with the power base if you get the Diamond power supply. Ok it's 24 hours in the house and I'm getting the itch to throw in the galaxy clock. Ok just about getting close to some rock and roll cds
I have a feeling that as more hours are logged there will be significant changes that only get better. Besides the usual run in time DAC chips are notorious for needing not only run in time, but also to be powered up for a few days to perform optimally.
It is so hard to be patient, but yet so fun to unlock the potential of gems such as these

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
MSB Reference DAC
Innuos Statement w/Next Gen. PS
B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
Shunyata Cables
Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments
Old 07-20-2012, 09:24 PM

Buddy, you are right, the patience thing is a drag at times. The one thing I noticed as a general rule for buying gear was that the better quality of components that I bought the more acceptable they were straight out of the box. Yes they still get better with some playing hrs too.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzr View Post
Buddy, you are right, the patience thing is a drag at times. The one thing I noticed as a general rule for buying gear was that the better quality of components that I bought the more acceptable they were straight out of the box. Yes they still get better with some playing hrs too.
Ok I popped the clock in last night dropped in a Loreena McKennitt cd " The book of Secrets" closed my eyes expecting the pearly gates to open. The first picture that came in my mind was a table, needle and record and the idea that this is what a cd should sound like pure analog. I heard this only once before in a whole Shindo system playing a record but the difference is i'm hearing so much more info then when I listened to the Shindo setup. Yes, I know that's not a Shindo trait but now I have the best of both worlds true resolution not an ounce of sibilance and pure analog sound. No bull on the sibiliance.

The sad thing is I'm not even using the dac to it's fullest potential. I'm running it single end not taken advantage of the MSB's full balanced dac. I know some are thinking that it doesn't matter but when you get up to this level every bit counts. Plus I'm demoing their lowest price dac "Platinum IV", midrange power supply "Signature" and their base model transport "Platinum CD IV". I can't imaging what their top of line sounds like but I know Kev could. Is the clock a must only if you listen to it.

I'm not trying to sugar coat anything here because this stack cost some serious money and the way digital is everyone is afraid of jumping in the water me included. But if you ever though of getting rid of your table you need to listen to this dac. Today I will try some hi-rez. Oh yea there was a topic on AudioAficionado a couple of weeks ago about does more money mean better sound well when it comes to MSB's dac "YES "
Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects
Old 07-21-2012, 09:32 AM

John,

This is driving me crazy. I can read it all through your post that the MSB dac must be amazing. I am happy for you, but now more confused than ever.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
John,

This is driving me crazy. I can read it all through your post that the MSB dac must be amazing. I am happy for you, but now more confused than ever.
All I have to say is when I had my Burmester gear I should have bought Burmester's cd 089 to reap the full effect of Burmester.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas View Post
All I have to say is when I had my Burmester gear I should have bought Burmester's cd 089 to reap the full effect of Burmester.
Hi John,

I am really drawn towards the 111 and it would immensely simplify my setup. If my sales on my gear goes through, the 111 is within reach. I could always add an MSB next year.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Hi John,

I am really drawn towards the 111 and it would immensely simplify my setup. If my sales on my gear goes through, the 111 is within reach. I could always add an MSB next year.
If the 111 is good as Burmester say I would get that and be done with it. You would have excellent Burmester synergy.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas

If the 111 is good as Burmester say I would get that and be done with it. You would have excellent Burmester synergy.
I have to say my mono 911's really are superb. I've been noticing, like you say, everything matters. Cables - speaker, interconnect and power, sources etc. all affect what I hear.

Please keep us updated on the MSB.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:

Please keep us updated on the MSB.

+1
I'm following your adventures with MSB!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 07-21-2012, 06:23 PM

Hey John, great info. I know you have a firm grip on the sugar coating, although it's pretty hard not to gush about this gear. You've got me thinking about the Femto clock now, it's the only thing I never got.