AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #371  
Old 03-30-2021, 03:54 PM
dkorbal's Avatar
dkorbal dkorbal is offline
Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Trenton, MI
Posts: 152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn2803 View Post
Tell me more about how they blend with your 802D3

I also want to add a pair of RELs subs
+1
__________________
Doug
Primary System: B&W 803D3 & HTM2D3, (2) MC601, Marantz SR7012, WW Silver Eclipse 7 speaker, (2) Shunyata Venom HC v2, Sony XBR850e65, Bluesound Vault2i, Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Thorens TD318, KEF surrounds
Secondary System: LRC (3) Paradigm Millenia 20, DefTech AW6500, Velodyne MiniVee 10, Denon 3808CI, Denon DVD-2500BTCI, Sony LED
Misc: PowerNode2, Pulse2, (3)Flex,, MAC, ....
Reply With Quote
  #372  
Old 04-01-2021, 12:27 PM
mike175gr mike175gr is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Squaw Valley, CA
Posts: 488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn2803 View Post
Mike,

Congrats again on the addition of REL 212 SEs. Tell me more about how they blend with your 802D3

I also want to add a pair of RELs subs (in the process of finishing the HT build on the 2nd floor), and am considering the 212, 812, or the Carbon special which is supposed to be very good as it borrows some of the components from their high-end subs such as no. 25.

Best,
Thanh
I was able to get a good price on the REL212SE subs so I ended up buying two as that was what I really wanted in order to integrate them better as well as to work right with my Mcintosh 501 mono amps.

I was over thinking the sub integration process. When I finally got them out of the boxes and put in position where they would sit it was a really easy process of adjusting them.

Now when I listen to various programs the subs really help tremendously. I was listening to some music over the weekend and fairly loudly and was checking me meters. They were registering much lower than I would have thought based upon the volume. The subs were filling in the sound with each and very naturally..

I was probably not really describing it that well, but the room will dictate how you have your settings, but overall it was MUCH easier than I thought.

I am VERY happy that I got the pair of subs. They sound great with my 802D3 speakers.
__________________
MC-501 (2), Cary SLP-05, Cary DMS 600, SONOS, modified Denon 3910, Oppo BDP-83SE, B&W 802D3. Pair of REL 212/SE subs, RGPC 1200s, 400pro. Hydra 2 & 6,
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old 04-01-2021, 09:47 PM
btn2803 btn2803 is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: AZ
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike175gr View Post
I was able to get a good price on the REL212SE subs so I ended up buying two as that was what I really wanted in order to integrate them better as well as to work right with my Mcintosh 501 mono amps.

I was over thinking the sub integration process. When I finally got them out of the boxes and put in position where they would sit it was a really easy process of adjusting them.

Now when I listen to various programs the subs really help tremendously. I was listening to some music over the weekend and fairly loudly and was checking me meters. They were registering much lower than I would have thought based upon the volume. The subs were filling in the sound with each and very naturally..

I was probably not really describing it that well, but the room will dictate how you have your settings, but overall it was MUCH easier than I thought.

I am VERY happy that I got the pair of subs. They sound great with my 802D3 speakers.
Thanks for sharing your insights, and am glad you are happy with the RELs and that they complement well your 802D3. Also, it's good to know that the setup of the subs is relatively easy.

Can't wait to finish my HT room and get the RELs
__________________
Amps: Mc611s; Bryston 9BST Speakers: B&W 802D3 and HTM1D3, B&W SCMs; Pre-Amp: C2700; Processor: Marantz 8805A
Sources: PSA Directstream DAC; Oppo UDP-205; Power & Cables: Taralabs bi-wire; WW XLR Silver Eclipse 8; WW Silver Starlight 7 Coax; Denali 6000T, Shunyata Alpha, Delta and Venom
Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old 04-06-2021, 04:12 PM
cyberpig1 cyberpig1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 3
Default

Hello ��
I am happy 802 D3 customer for the last 2 months. Lately I noticed that on different volume levels there is some disbalance in the high frequencies. Tested with mono source signal the highs of the right speaker are bit louder, which results in moving the overall balance to the right. Shortly after I noticed this behavior my right tweeter stopped working. It is strange, because I did suspect some issues with the left one, as it has been the bit quitter one.
The dome of the nonworking tweeter is not damaged. I am waiting B&W to replace it under warranty.

Anyway, does anybody experience some difference in tweeter levels with theirs D3s?
I am testing with mono signal. Swapped the channels of the amp – the same right speaker is still louder.
Cables are equal length. The amp is Musical Fidelity M6si (still waiting for the new MICHIs to be delivered).
If I connect other speakers to the same amp, same cables there is no disbalance in the heights.
Next step in my testing after the damaged tweeter is fixed will be to swap physically the left and right speaker, just to be sure it’s not something related to the room acoustics, but if the room is the reason then the other tested speakers would tend also to have this unbalance.

Please share your experience and ideas how to proceed from now on.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old 04-06-2021, 11:04 PM
sleeper sleeper is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpig1 View Post
Hello ��
I am happy 802 D3 customer for the last 2 months. Shortly after I noticed this behavior my right tweeter stopped working. It is strange, because I did suspect some issues with the left one, as it has been the bit quitter one.
The dome of the nonworking tweeter is not damaged. I am waiting B&W to replace it under warranty.
Wow! A tweeter failed after only two months? Did you purchase your speakers as new, demo, or used units? Where will the repair be done: in your home or do you have to move the speaker to a shop somewhere?
Reply With Quote
  #376  
Old 04-07-2021, 06:18 AM
cyberpig1 cyberpig1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper View Post
Wow! A tweeter failed after only two months? Did you purchase your speakers as new, demo, or used units? Where will the repair be done: in your home or do you have to move the speaker to a shop somewhere?
Brand new
Still not clear how/where this will be repaired.
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old 04-07-2021, 06:35 AM
meltemi meltemi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpig1 View Post
Next step in my testing after the damaged tweeter is fixed will be to swap physically the left and right speaker, just to be sure it’s not something related to the room acoustics, but if the room is the reason then the other tested speakers would tend also to have this unbalance.
Sorry for your damaged tweeter or frequency dividing network component.

IMHO the difference is likely to be related with room acoustics / speaker placement.

1) The distance from the sweet spot of your listening area to each speaker must be exactly the same (within a fraction of an inch / within very few millimeters).
My room correction device compensated a difference in distance of 3cm (slightly more than one inch) by delaying the nearer speaker by 0.1ms.
Switching this correction off 'shifts the sound towards the nearer speaker' (law of first wavefront).

2) The sound dispersion of other speakers my not be as uniform and wide as the D3s (800 D3 here).
So the effect may not be as prominent with speakers with more directional high frequencies.

Martin
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old 04-08-2021, 10:06 PM
Indytown Indytown is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 351
Default

Personally, with the price of speakers these days, I would be hesitant in allowing them to dismantle the midrange driver to get to the tweeter if that is the way its attached in the middle range drivers enclosure.

The factory seal will never be the same, if you can find the assembly video of the D3 speakers, I believe the midrange may be inserted with the head upside down, there is a reason for that. I may be wrong your call.

ONLY SOMEONE WHO HAS DONE IT NUMEROUS TIMES WILL KNOW THE PROPER TORQUE, this may not be your dealer or the BW marketing rep.

There may be a fluid sealing agent that is not a strong adhesive that is used in the process at the factory to seat the midrange driver.

If its a just a simple process to take out the guts of the tweeter housing and replace the parts, that's a different story, good to go.

Some thoughts for you at this point with my analysis.

Last edited by Indytown; 04-08-2021 at 10:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old 04-09-2021, 03:33 AM
cyberpig1 cyberpig1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 3
Default

Thanks for the input.
The twitter speaker repalcement is simple procedure IMHO.
There should be no need to remove/dissassemble the midrange head.
https://youtu.be/DP_-KRfExkE

Thats why i am not so much concerned about replacing it onsite (if possible).

Here it is some info for the midrange replacement - https://youtu.be/7HOG1tYjPrc
with the right tools will be simple as that.
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 04-09-2021, 01:17 PM
dkorbal's Avatar
dkorbal dkorbal is offline
Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Trenton, MI
Posts: 152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpig1 View Post
Thanks for the input.
The twitter speaker repalcement is simple procedure IMHO.
There should be no need to remove/dissassemble the midrange head.
https://youtu.be/DP_-KRfExkE

Thats why i am not so much concerned about replacing it onsite (if possible).

Here it is some info for the midrange replacement - https://youtu.be/7HOG1tYjPrc
with the right tools will be simple as that.
Great Resource. Thanks
__________________
Doug
Primary System: B&W 803D3 & HTM2D3, (2) MC601, Marantz SR7012, WW Silver Eclipse 7 speaker, (2) Shunyata Venom HC v2, Sony XBR850e65, Bluesound Vault2i, Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Thorens TD318, KEF surrounds
Secondary System: LRC (3) Paradigm Millenia 20, DefTech AW6500, Velodyne MiniVee 10, Denon 3808CI, Denon DVD-2500BTCI, Sony LED
Misc: PowerNode2, Pulse2, (3)Flex,, MAC, ....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:09 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2021 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Add Powr
Add Powr
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase