AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Isolation, Tips & Tweaks

Isolation, Tips & Tweaks Enhance your enjoyment

Old 08-06-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreB View Post
For me your room looks very nice as it is.
Why not take the top shelf over the Yamaha rack and put it on the left side so you will have 3 racks at about the same height between your Totem.
Merci Pierre.

Actually, my first idea was to get another VTI BL404 amp stand but I was afraid this would make the front end too crowded.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
Serge-

First Things First!
Beautiful job on the renovation/redecoration of you room. It looks clean and modern. Like what you did with the fireplace too. Is it a traditional wood burning or did you add an insert stove like piece?

Now that you have a screen, the equipment rack may distract from viewing. Is it possible to combine all into one taller rack and place it back by the fireplace as in the older photo? You would just need longer speaker cables. All of you current equipment should be fine with a single 20 amp. If later you need (or would desire) the second circuit, 12g Romax can be neatly run in some type of conduit along/above the baseboard. After the wife's permission of course.
Thank John for the kind comments. This was more than a two year project I did myself along a new born child. I actually started when my son was 6 months old hoping that when he would be 3 or 4 we could watch movies togheter. And here we are now

The fireplace is a propane unit. It's the Napoleon Crystallo. I had wood burning fireplace and chimney before but the chimney needed "re-bricking" (is that a word?) and adding the cost of a new and more efficient wood burning fireplace was quite more expensive than running on gas. I like to idea to press a button to start the fireplace, and no mess. But the woodburning magic is not there though.

I find the rack to be a bit high and it's a bit distracting. Plus my cat likes to lay on that BDP-2 so she blocks the view on the screen. Actually, behind the storage cabinet on the side of the fireplace, there is already a dedicated 20A line there. But I am afraid the cost of speaker cables would be too high to choose this option. At the minimum I would need a longer interconnect. I checked and I would need 4 meters long.

Since a single 20A line is enough to power everything, I am considering the Ikea Besta Burs in yellow. Not audiophile at all by any standards but I really like the modern flair of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_BESTÅBURSTVBench-IKEA.jpg (39.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 08-06-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
As far from the corner as a safe would be best. There will be maximum bass energy in that corner.

It’s all about compromises. In between the speakers is not ideal, in a corner is not ideal. Find what works for you and let it sing! All of our inputs are about ideals. Few of us can have the ‘ideal’.

The room does look very nice by the way!!
You are right, it's all about compromises. Just trying to find the best fit between performance and style.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:09 AM

Default Rack configuration VS dedicated 20A lines

Sorry for the delayed response.

As far as room treatments, GIK is a sponsor on the forum here and has a way to capture your room dimensions and other info with an online tool. They make recommendations based on that info.

My reco is to start with absorption placed at the speaker mirror points on the side walls - the points where you would see your speakers in a mirror placed along the wall.

You can go from there, a little at a time, following the acoustic panel manufacturer’s suggestions.

I don’t think the sectional couch will be an issue - it will be a great low frequency absorber and will not reflect the sound from the left speaker.

Try removing the coffee table and listening without it. It can make a huge difference. It is a large reflective surface between you and your speakers. You can always put a nice thick comforter on it for critical listening. We use several smaller tables, but with kids this may not be practical as they WILL knock them over and spill your red wine on your beautiful floor.

Fantastic room, we use our combo theater and 2 Chennal room a lot. Movie nights with kids are great!

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 08-09-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Sorry for the delayed response.

As far as room treatments, GIK is a sponsor on the forum here and has a way to capture your room dimensions and other info with an online tool. They make recommendations based on that info.

My reco is to start with absorption placed at the speaker mirror points on the side walls - the points where you would see your speakers in a mirror placed along the wall.

You can go from there, a little at a time, following the acoustic panel manufacturer’s suggestions.

I don’t think the sectional couch will be an issue - it will be a great low frequency absorber and will not reflect the sound from the left speaker.

Try removing the coffee table and listening without it. It can make a huge difference. It is a large reflective surface between you and your speakers. You can always put a nice thick comforter on it for critical listening. We use several smaller tables, but with kids this may not be practical as they WILL knock them over and spill your red wine on your beautiful floor.

Fantastic room, we use our combo theater and 2 Chennal room a lot. Movie nights with kids are great!

Tom
Thanks Tom for the nice comments and recommendations. I started looking at GIK offerings and I really like their products. They are realistically priced and they look very good. I am sure it will complement my room very well.

I am doing a follow up as I went to Montreal this weekend to pick up that yellow piece of furniture I was talking about in my previous post. I found one in mint shape for 90$. Ikea no longer offer other colors than gloss white now. I find the yellow mustard to add a bit of pop in the room. The configuration is not ideal now as the Bryston units are stacked up but I was in a rush to have everything put back up. With a longer USB cable, I would move the BDP on the left side of my amplifier.

Good to know that the sectional will not be an issue. It's the perfect size and style I want for our space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9655.jpg (91.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9657.jpg (92.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 08-09-2020, 10:31 PM
Listener in Training

Serge, that looks excellent. As Tom mentioned an ideal is to have nothing between the speakers, but you have it set back a bit, which must help. Did you notice any change in how it sounds?
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 08-09-2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
Serge, that looks excellent. As Tom mentioned an ideal is to have nothing between the speakers, but you have it set back a bit, which must help. Did you notice any change in how it sounds?
Thanks! I noticed that with this furniture I could push it a bit more against the wall but the Black Mamba-HC CX on my amplifier is only 1.25M long and kinks a bit as it is. If I had a longer one I would just snake it and make loops in order to push it a bit more. As long as it does not affect sound. So far, I noticed that it sound a bit more boomy but I am not sure if it's because of this or the added Herbies's fat dots between my speakers and stands I inserted last Thursday that are settling in. But I would believe it's the furniture. I think I can work around that.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:40 AM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
Thanks! I noticed that with this furniture I could push it a bit more against the wall but the Black Mamba-HC CX on my amplifier is only 1.25M long and kinks a bit as it is. If I had a longer one I would just snake it and make loops in order to push it a bit more. As long as it does not affect sound. So far, I noticed that it sound a bit more boomy but I am not sure if it's because of this or the added Herbies's fat dots between my speakers and stands I inserted last Thursday that are settling in. But I would believe it's the furniture. I think I can work around that.
Glad to hear it - I'll be going through some of the same process as we settle into the new house. I think we're both in a stage now where we're trying our best to understand the constraints, configure things as well as we can, make the necessary compromises, and test. Some might call this obsessive, but I prefer to call it "the scientific process" . Then we settle on something satisfactory, and reach the stage of enjoyment. Of course, it's a journey, and the enjoyment can be thought of as a long stop before trying something new.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 08-10-2020, 09:19 PM

Serge-

Good looks and a good price! It's nice to find solutions to our audiophile peculiarities that do not require a second mortgage!

Looks like your main source of music is the BDP3? I seem to be moving closer to that every day despite not quite being ready to part with the 85 or 205.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
Some might call this obsessive, but I prefer to call it "the scientific process" . Then we settle on something satisfactory, and reach the stage of enjoyment. Of course, it's a journey, and the enjoyment can be thought of as a long stop before trying something new.
Ain't That the truth!!