AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 06-26-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio 1 View Post
I ordered an Esoteric SA-50 and actually received it yesterday. The first thing that you realize when unpacking the unit is just how much attention to detail this company puts into everything. The unit is triple boxed with two protective wraps around the unit itself. Fit and finish of the product is just amazing as is the quality of the transport, display and remote control.

I am using the digital input for my Bolder modified Squeezebox Duet. It is very easy to select the digital input from the remote and makes it very easy to change between one of the digital inputs or the CD player.

I will be able to make better judgements on the sound quality when the unit gets some break-in time on it. I am told that it needs quite a few hours to sound its best, but initially it shows a lot of promise. The soundstaging seems particularily good and it seems to be very good at bass articulation and detail overall.

Congratulations !!!!!
Old 06-27-2009, 11:27 PM

Definitely keep us posted on how things sound once you get some hours on it. I for one am particularly interested in that model. I see you are in FL too, is there an Esoteric dealer in West FL or did you go out of state for it? I'd love to be able to audition that unit.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:59 AM

I will definitely give an update when I get more break-in time. I am not aware of any demonstrating Esoteric dealer in Florida, but if you decide you want to purchase one down the road I have a relationship with two authorized dealers that will take very good care of you on the price.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:48 PM

I just saw that 6moons has a "preview" review posted on the SA-50. I would assume sometime in the near future they'll have a full review posted.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:01 PM

Audio 1... Now that you have the SA50 for more than 3 months, how does it sound?
Old 10-13-2009, 01:54 PM

The SA50 has turned out to be one of my favorite pieces of gear to date.

The sound is very smooth and detailed with a very good sound stage. I find it to be revealing of source material, but always very pleasant to listen to. The digital inputs work very well and the overall feature set and control is amazing.

For comparison sake I have also owned a McIntosh MCD-500 and while it too is a great player I would give the nod to the Esoteric SA-50.

Overall in the general price range of this unit it is just hard to beat when you factor the sound quality and the build quality.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:31 PM

After listening to many Mac and Esoteric units I find it takes at least an Esoteric X-03 SE to equal the MCD500.

Last edited by tony-w; 10-18-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio 1 View Post
The SA50 has turned out to be one of my favorite pieces of gear to date.

The sound is very smooth and detailed with a very good sound stage. I find it to be revealing of source material, but always very pleasant to listen to. The digital inputs work very well and the overall feature set and control is amazing.

For comparison sake I have also owned a McIntosh MCD-500 and while it too is a great player I would give the nod to the Esoteric SA-50.

Overall in the general price range of this unit it is just hard to beat when you factor the sound quality and the build quality.
I see you are enjoying the purchase. What speakers and gears are you using? Do you find the player fatiguing after long listening sessions?
Old 10-14-2009, 07:57 AM

First off the MCD-201 is not in the same league as the Esoteric SA-50. While a fine player (I owned one for several years) it is not even close. As far as the MCD-500 being a better player I guess this is why there are so many products available as I would take the Esoteric product hands down over the MCD-500.
Everyone has different criteria and preferences in audio and there is no wrong choice here, but after owning all of the mentioned models it is an easy conclusion for me.
I could see if one were running an all Mac system the advantages of using the same brand could be advantageous, but this is not the basis I have used to configure my current system.

TommyC

I am using Martin Logan Summit X speakers and I do not find it to be fatiguing after long listening sessions. These speakers really show you any shortcomings and fatigue is not something I am experiencing with this product combination.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:04 PM

I've owned the DV60, the X-03, and the X-01D2. I went from the D2 to a MCD500 because the D2 did not sound any better and I wanted all McIntosh in my system. That move cost me quite a bit of money.

In my main system the MCD500 has been replaced with the MCD/MDA1000 because I wanted an all 1000 system, not because I could say the MCD/MDA1000 was really superior. Again, this move cost a bit of money.

In owning the DV60, X-03, X-01D2, MCD201, MCD301, MCD500(2), and the MCD/MDA1000, I can honestly say they all sound much more alike than they do different.

I will say I wasn't real happy to having had to replace the DV60, and the X-01D2, but Esoteric did a great job of support. Knowing what many of us went through with the MCD201, I don't think anything need be said about that.