AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 01-18-2016, 10:45 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default Esoteric SACD player DACs

I have noted the K05x and K07x both use the AKM4490 DAC and the K03x and K01x both use the AKM4495. I have a TEAC UD503 that also uses the AKM4490 and that got me starting to wonder about the differences between the two DACs other than the obvious specifications.

They both convert all the same digital files and as far as I can see their THD+n and S/N specs are slightly different.

Just curious if there are any insights on these two DACs.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 01-18-2016, 10:56 PM

Way more involved than a chip. There's an amplifier in there, too, and a power supply. Those are probably more responsible for the differences in Esoteric SQ over its Teac cousins.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Way more involved than a chip. There's an amplifier in there, too, and a power supply. Those are probably more responsible for the differences in Esoteric SQ over its Teac cousins.
Yep, the best DAC chip in a poorly implemented circuit or poorly designed piece of equipment can sound worse than a mediocre DAC chip that's properly implemented.

Imagine having an award-winning preamp and amp while driving a crappy pair of speakers. That's pretty simplistic, but I think you get the idea.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:32 PM
Racing Hoopties

Great points guys but I intended to ask about the difference between the two chips - the AKM4490 and the AKM4495.

I suppose I was just thinking out loud. Not sure it is a question that has a good answer.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 01-18-2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Great points guys but I intended to ask about the difference between the two chips - the AKM4490 and the AKM4495. I suppose I was just thinking out loud. Not sure it is a question that has a good answer.
Ahhh I see what you were asking now. For one thing, the AK4490 does higher DSD rates.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Great points guys but I intended to ask about the difference between the two chips - the AKM4490 and the AKM4495. I suppose I was just thinking out loud. Not sure it is a question that has a good answer.
Let me google that for you

http://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/da...artno=AK4490EQ

http://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/da...artno=AK4495EQ

http://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/da...rtno=AK4495SEQ
Old 01-19-2016, 01:19 AM

Quote:
I have noted the K05x and K07x both use the AKM4490 DAC and the K03x and K01x both use the AKM4495. I have a TEAC UD503 that also uses the AKM4490 and that got me starting to wonder about the differences between the two DACs other than the obvious specifications.

They both convert all the same digital files and as far as I can see their THD+n and S/N specs are slightly different.

Just curious if there are any insights on these two DACs.
The 4490 is the top of the line chip which was released later than the 4495s, just as the k05x and 07xwas released way after the k01x and k03x.

So they have the latest chip whether it sounds better is purely moot as the players are not comparable.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:23 PM
Racing Hoopties

This chart from AKM's web site suggest the 4490 is a 'fit' in their product line of their highest performance DACS. As for it being the highest performing, that is a matter of application as you have all said, how it is incorporated with associated equipment.

The newest and from this chart, clearly the highest performing DAC is the AK 4497EQ. Lowest noise and highest SNR. It will be interesting to see what devices this shows up and who is first.

I might guess you will see it in a new Grandioso product or perhaps new K01.1x/K03.1x??? . Crap! That means a new player before the one I have is broken in...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-4277636646.jpg (77.4 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by jdandy; 01-21-2016 at 09:38 PM. Reason: enlarge chart.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:28 PM

It may be the best DAC by a mile but again, depends on the engineering around it. I wouldn't sell your gear just yet.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:43 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
It may be the best DAC by a mile but again, depends on the engineering around it. I wouldn't sell your gear just yet.
Understood but you have to believe it is going to show up in a new Esoteric product sometime. They are already working with it and engineering what ever is needed to get the best out of it. I would bet a lunch on it.