AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 05-29-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post

Choose wisely, Grasshopper. 300+ hrs break-in for each setting (though hours and hours of listening isn't such a bad thing with this unit!).

I'm using 8x and S DLY 2. You can do a web search and find a few threads about setting selections. Everyone has their own preference, and some even change it based on type of music and even the specific recording they're listening to.
+1
Old 05-30-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triode12 View Post
Thanks aardvarkbark,
That is what I have set it to too!

It is sounding very good even before break-in.
So, I've had a remarkable revelation today in response to your post. I had done a fairly exhaustive web search in anticipation of receiving my K03X several weeks ago, and settled on what I told you as the presumed best settings. I had previously enjoyed a thoroughly (9 yrs worth) broken-in Classe/B&W system that delivered wonderful detail but maybe a bit thin soundstage. At the same time I acquired the K03X, I upgraded to an Ayre amp and improved B&Ws, so have rationalized the absence of detail to everything being new and reports that the Ayre requires as much as 500 hrs of break in.

In revisiting the strings about Esoteric settings on the various fora today, I saw some posts recommending, despite the suggestions for certain filter and upsample rates, to select no filter and no upsampling. Wow. All that detail has now returned. I wondered if there would be any fatigue, but I've experienced none.

In all fairness, I've been sampling more recent recordings and remasters (but all red book; no sacd). Maybe on an early digital over-miked piano, a filter would help.

So, my amended suggestion is to go ahead and burn in a setting combo that sounds good; then, 300 hrs from now, reset to DF off and Org. I'll be curious to learn what you hear.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:12 AM

Quote:
So, I've had a remarkable revelation today in response to your post. I had done a fairly exhaustive web search in anticipation of receiving my K03X several weeks ago, and settled on what I told you as the presumed best settings. I had previously enjoyed a thoroughly (9 yrs worth) broken-in Classe/B&W system that delivered wonderful detail but maybe a bit thin soundstage. At the same time I acquired the K03X, I upgraded to an Ayre amp and improved B&Ws, so have rationalized the absence of detail to everything being new and reports that the Ayre requires as much as 500 hrs of break in.

In revisiting the strings about Esoteric settings on the various fora today, I saw some posts recommending, despite the suggestions for certain filter and upsample rates, to select no filter and no upsampling. Wow. All that detail has now returned. I wondered if there would be any fatigue, but I've experienced none.

In all fairness, I've been sampling more recent recordings and remasters (but all red book; no sacd). Maybe on an early digital over-miked piano, a filter would help.

So, my amended suggestion is to go ahead and burn in a setting combo that sounds good; then, 300 hrs from now, reset to DF off and Org. I'll be curious to learn what you hear.
OK - will let you know when I reach 300 hrs.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:

I concur..in my case no up sampling/no filter has been the best setting too.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisonm View Post
I concur..in my case no up sampling/no filter has been the best setting too.
I guess it's time to start playing with the settings. I initially set 8x S DLY 2, and pretty much forgot about it...I only have 100 hours on it, but I will toggle through them and report back.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:00 PM

I am now! (Raises hand)
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 07-19-2016, 10:12 PM

Two K-03X questions

Does it do shuffle/random play?

Is Esoteric expected to add MQA and would such an upgrade be firmware, hardware or require a new player?

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 07-19-2016, 10:36 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
Two K-03X questions Does it do shuffle/random play? Is Esoteric expected to add MQA and would such an upgrade be firmware, hardware or require a new player? Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Shuffle / random --- not on my remote.

MQA - does it matter? Sorry, couldn't help myself but I suspect Esoteric will issue a new product of MQA becomes real.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 07-20-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Shuffle / random --- not on my remote.

MQA - does it matter? Sorry, couldn't help myself but I suspect Esoteric will issue a new product of MQA becomes real.
While I haven't received mine yet (Come on Tuesday!) I'm expecting a straight-ahead serious player without fancy options like that. I realize it's an expensive spinner, but it is a purpose built serious player. If it has those capabilities I may or may not ever use them.

I know is sounds crazy, but the K-03X will mostly be a DAC for me.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 07-20-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
While I haven't received mine yet (Come on Tuesday!) I'm expecting a straight-ahead serious player without fancy options like that. I realize it's an expensive spinner, but it is a purpose built serious player. If it has those capabilities I may or may not ever use them.

I know is sounds crazy, but the K-03X will mostly be a DAC for me.
That is exactly how I use mine. I use Silenzio and JRiver thru the K03x. Works awsome. You will not be disappointed.
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature