AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 02-21-2021, 02:05 AM
George

Default Has anyone compared the ARC REF 3 and 3se phono stage?

I haven’t seen much yet on reviews. Since they did the same kind of internal part upgrades as on the REF 6SE, it should be significant given where it is in the signal chain. All my other stuff is up to date... hard not to wonder if I should upgrade.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:08 AM

I am also sitting on the fence too on this!

Aurender A30 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Franco Serblin Accordo Essence + Pair of REL Carbon Special

Aurender A10 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Joseph Audio PERSPECTIVE2 Graphene

VPI 40th. Anniversary Direct Drive -> Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono

Aurender A10 -> Ref 6 -> GS150 > PMC Fact 12

McIntosh MCD500 -> C1100 - >MC452 > PMC Fact 12

Aurender A10 -> -> E470 > PMC Fact 12

Speakers: Monitor Audio PL200 , , Monitor Audio GX200
PMC Fact 12

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> Accuphase DC-37 -> Accuphase E-470 -> Monitor Audio GX200

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> MD108T Signature DAC -> Mcintosh C1100 ->McIntosh MC452 -> JBL 4344
Old 02-22-2021, 10:55 AM

The 3SE was not a major sonic upgrade over my 2SE. This was in contrast to the 6SE from the 5SE which was a major, easily discernible, improvement in sound stage size, depth, instrument timbre, and clarity. To be fair the 3SE was added with the 6SE in place, so I did not do the “proper” experiment of adding the 3SE into the 5SE chain first.
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:15 AM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcxxx View Post
The 3SE was not a major sonic upgrade over my 2SE. This was in contrast to the 6SE from the 5SE which was a major, easily discernible, improvement in sound stage size, depth, instrument timbre, and clarity. To be fair the 3SE was added with the 6SE in place, so I did not do the “proper” experiment of adding the 3SE into the 5SE chain first.
Thanks for your comment. It makes sense the way you did it so you could detect the increment the 3se alone had on the system. How many hours did you have on your 6SE at the time? If the 6SE was broken in, that would be a great test. Although the breakin time on the 3se can make it difficult.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:41 AM

The 6SE had about 250 hours. Interestingly the 6SE sounded quite excellent out of the box. The 5SE took about 100-150 hours to bloom and kept getting better up to 500 hours. I believe I read somewhere this was related to the capacitors.
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:24 AM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcxxx View Post
The 6SE had about 250 hours. Interestingly the 6SE sounded quite excellent out of the box. The 5SE took about 100-150 hours to bloom and kept getting better up to 500 hours. I believe I read somewhere this was related to the capacitors.
I upgraded my Ref 5SE to 6SE recently and for me it took 150 hours to open up from sounding good but very uninspired to magical and engaging. Around 125 it flipped to not good and back to good a few times. Then over 200 continued slowly improving. This was pretty much like the 5SE if I remember correctly... my memory is pretty iffy these days.

I recently found out the REf 3 Phonostage and REF 6/se all use the same tube set and so are interchangeable (this was really good as a tube went out). Upon really looking at the inside, I realize the similarity of design of the phono stage and preamp. The improvements between the integer and SE models are upgrades in components and maybe wiring which resulted in a big difference in sound on the Preamp... I keep thinking it should have had as big a difference on the PS. Maybe at some point I will just do it and find out how I react.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:06 PM

I just hooked up a REF6SE and a REF3SE (previously had the non SE versions.) The 6SE has 69 hours on it and the 3SE has about 10. It is hard to remember exactly Bea use I can’t do the nonSE and SE versions side by side, but they both sound more open, detailed, and musical. I especially notice the difference between the 3 and 3SE. (The 6SE feeds into a pair of older 250SEs.) They all sound so really incredible together... I expect to have them around for a long time.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:47 AM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjlinus View Post
I just hooked up a REF6SE and a REF3SE (previously had the non SE versions.) The 6SE has 69 hours on it and the 3SE has about 10. It is hard to remember exactly Bea use I can’t do the nonSE and SE versions side by side, but they both sound more open, detailed, and musical. I especially notice the difference between the 3 and 3SE. (The 6SE feeds into a pair of older 250SEs.) They all sound so really incredible together... I expect to have them around for a long time.
Thanks. Yeah, that is always the way. My upgrades have a tendency to be overlapping and confounding. I will say there is a huge difference in the 100 - 200 hour range for most contemporary ARC gear. My Ref160s amp has really noticeably improved over the last few days... and it is in the 300 hour range. I went from 5SE to 6SE. I have had my REF3 for a while.