AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 01-09-2021, 04:23 PM

Default Bryston BDP-3, WiFi vs LAN cable for streaming

Hey,

Just purchased a BDP-3 but it does not have the optional built-in WiFi module. I always used my prior BDP-2 with the internal hard drive for play back but out of curiosity I recently registered to Tidal and Amazon Music and I would like to get the best out of those services. In my understanding, going WiFi would eliminate any sound degradation altogheter due to the absence of LAN cable. In my setup, my modem/router combo is about 30 feet away from the BDP-3 so any audiograde LAN cable is out of the question.

Question is, how much sound quality would be affected using a regular LAN cable for streaming? How important is this cable in the audio chain?

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2021, 08:21 PM

I have a BDP-3 and I can’t speak for Tidal but I do stream Qobuz as well as feed my BDP-3 from a Synology NAS. I do not have the built in WiFi module. I typically use Ethernet but I have a WiFi bridge and use it as well. My Wifi setup is a mesh system with one of the mesh nodes (i.e., a wireless access point) about 5 feet from the BDP-3.

Most of the time I can’t tell the difference. However, on occasion something “in the air” interferes with my WiFi but doesn’t affect the Ethernet. On other hand, when there is a momentary break in the signal coming in from the street,if it is very short it seems almost like the WiFi has a bit of a buffer- probably not even a full second but in our “business”, a second of no signal seems like an hour (okay, a minute).

I do not currently have any “audio upgrades” to my internet system but I am thinking about it. My current thinking ranges from getting an “audio quality” Ethernet cable since my distance is pretty short to some of the things that have been discussed in threads on getting better quality LAN signal where Puma Cat is either the OP (I can’t remember right now) or is a significant contributor. There is a very interesting discussion that might be helpful to you about converting Ethernet to fiber and back which wipes out a whole bunch of unwelcome stuff that needs a wire (not fiber) to travel.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:38 PM

This is, I think the first string of a series of discussions starting about a year ago and runs for a number of months and a handful of different strings that together is a pretty comprehensive discussion.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...are_pid=958896
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:31 PM

Serge, give Chris at Bryston a call. He is a super nice guy and very knowledgeable. Have a chat with your fellow Canadian

We discussed some of what you are asking just the other day.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
Hey,

Just purchased a BDP-3 but it does not have the optional built-in WiFi module. I always used my prior BDP-2 with the internal hard drive for play back but out of curiosity I recently registered to Tidal and Amazon Music and I would like to get the best out of those services. In my understanding, going WiFi would eliminate any sound degradation altogheter due to the absence of LAN cable. In my setup, my modem/router combo is about 30 feet away from the BDP-3 so any audiograde LAN cable is out of the question.

Question is, how much sound quality would be affected using a regular LAN cable for streaming? How important is this cable in the audio chain?

Thanks!

I use any cable that works and it sounds excellent. Wired is always more reliable than wireless.