AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 11-07-2020, 06:02 PM

I tried some Magico S5 MkII with 2301's and 601's, but it was a little 275 MK 4 that won the day. The range from about 120 up to 800 HZ just wasn't right with the other amps. We were using about 12 watts for loud chords and 50 watts for peaks. I would want a little more margin. I can imagine a new 1502 might be just the ticket. Steve at audio Classics has a pair of MC 3500's if you still need more power.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:23 PM

Hello all! Merry Christmas and Happy New Years! Just to close the loop, appreciate all the input. I did manage to find a pair of mint, little used MC75 III. I've had them in the rig long enough to roll in some NOS tubes and I must say they are magnificent. Worries about them driving my SF Guarneri's have been dispelled. They rock beautifully. At times I am blown away by the sense of realism, especially vocals. So organic, 3D and lifelike. I feel like I'm sitting in on a studio recording session...amazing. The MC601's are great amps but these have what I'm looking for. For you tube rollers....I am running the re issue GL KT88's, a pair of early Sylvania black wing plate 12AT7's and Tele ribbed plates in the 12AX7 slot. I have about every NOS 12AX7 and 5751 in my collection with Seimens ECC801S's, Tele ECC801S's and Mullard CV4024's and RCA Black wing plate 12AT7's waiting in the wings. Should be a fun winter of tube rolling.
Enjoy the music!
Old 12-28-2020, 11:05 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrck887 View Post
I did manage to find a pair of mint, little used MC75 III.
Congrats. Great choice.
If you can find, try a set of Winged 'C' 6550s for vocals. Great mid-range.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-28-2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Hello all! Merry Christmas and Happy New Years! Just to close the loop, appreciate all the input. I did manage to find a pair of mint, little used MC75 III. I've had them in the rig long enough to roll in some NOS tubes and I must say they are magnificent. Worries about them driving my SF Guarneri's have been dispelled. They rock beautifully. At times I am blown away by the sense of realism, especially vocals. So organic, 3D and lifelike. I feel like I'm sitting in on a studio recording session...amazing. The MC601's are great amps but these have what I'm looking for. For you tube rollers....I am running the re issue GL KT88's, a pair of early Sylvania black wing plate 12AT7's and Tele ribbed plates in the 12AX7 slot. I have about every NOS 12AX7 and 5751 in my collection with Seimens ECC801S's, Tele ECC801S's and Mullard CV4024's and RCA Black wing plate 12AT7's waiting in the wings. Should be a fun winter of tube rolling.
Enjoy the music!
Hi Patrick,

I'm the one you've been communicating on USAudiomart and have the same amps. I'm very happy for you. I'm glad everything worked out. When the recording is good I continue to be blown away by these little monoblocks. They are in essence Mcintosh's version of low power SET. They are the sweetest and purest tube amps McIntosh ever made according to some people. Sometimes selfishly I wish that Mcintosh would never bring these back to keep these amps as rare and collectible as possible but anything is possible if demand is there. Enjoy and happy holidays !
Old 12-29-2020, 08:37 PM

Hi Glenn,
Are these the tubes you mentioned? SVETLANA SED 6550 WINGED C ....I've seen the brand but have never used them. Also heard the NOS Tungsols are very good.
Thanks in advance!

Kevin!!!
Thanks. You were a great help. This is exactly the sound I've been chasing and just couldn't quite reach with the 601's. Something magical about tubes...601's will be up for sale shortly, they are very soecial in their own right. Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2020, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Hi Glenn,
Are these the tubes you mentioned? SVETLANA SED 6550 WINGED C ....I've seen the brand but have never used them. Also heard the NOS Tungsols are very good.
Thanks in advance!

Kevin!!!
Thanks. You were a great help. This is exactly the sound I've been chasing and just couldn't quite reach with the 601's. Something magical about tubes...601's will be up for sale shortly, they are very soecial in their own right. Happy New Year!

I know you'll have a very special upcoming new year Patrick. With your careful tube rolling and all the tubes at your disposal I wouldnt be surprised if your amps sounds even better than mine. Also your C500t is no chopped liver either, it's one of the best tube preamps from Mac. I'm not surprised with the sound you're hearing from this combo. I onced called McIntosh and asked why they never dabbled in SET amps. They said it's just too low power and too restrictive with speakers. Also distortion at the upper end was just not acceptable for them. Thus when you study Mcintosh's long history until today, these 75 watts tube wonder are in essence their 'low power SET' and best of all with much lower IMD as well. When it comes to music for me it's all about musicality and the emotional engagement and connection and these amps and the role they play in this are just pure magic.

PS - don't forget to update your signature. I'll try to do the same as well. Hopefully 2021 will be a much better year for everyone. Stay safe and enjoy the music !
Old 01-03-2021, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Hello all! Merry Christmas and Happy New Years! Just to close the loop, appreciate all the input. I did manage to find a pair of mint, little used MC75 III.
Enjoy the music!
Great catch on the MC 75's. One of the best sounding amps from McIntosh in recent times.

Listen in good health!
Old 02-24-2021, 07:47 PM

Hello all once again!
For all you MC75 & MC275 users, some interesting tube findings. I am an admitted tube-a-holic. Love them. I managed to purchase the last matched quad of NOS Genalex Gold Lion KT-88's from Brent Jesse. I let them run in for a couple humdred hours so they are definitley burned in. A real shocker.....in my rig I find them rather lifeless, tubby in the bass with rolled off and somewhat recessed HF. Mids are good, but over all the new Russian re issues are far better. Just as smooth and dimensional but with more life to them...better, more controlled bass, beautifully full mids and much better HF extension. Almost like they have improved on the weaknesses of the original. First time ever that I have prefered a new issue tube to NOS. So if you are pining for the original NOS version, fear not! The reissues are far better, at least in my rig, in my room, the diferences are large and easily discerned. Hoping the NOS GL KT88's continue to appreciate!!!
Enjoy!
Old 02-24-2021, 09:24 PM

mc275V with stock tubes SED (squares inside). it's the best 275 I ever heard,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 02-24-2021, 09:52 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by mati1979 View Post
mc275V with stock tubes SED (squares inside). it's the best 275 I ever heard,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Do agree. My MC275V and MC75s both sounded their best to my ears with SED Winged 'C' 6550 tubes.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag