AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 05-27-2019, 08:15 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmig View Post
I think that it sounds fantastic. It has warmth and body yet presents a big and open (transparent) soundstage. The highs are clear but never etchy. The low end drive is surprising given its power rating, but the bass is very big and very natural sounding. Of particular interest to me is how well it presents dynamic (both macro and micro) contrasts. This is an area where I felt that the Parasound A23+ (which I also auditioned) was a tiny bit lacking (not by much) and why I kept looking for an amp for the F228Be's. I'm not certain yet that this is "the amp", but I'm really liking what I'm hearing - very impressed so far.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
That's excellent to hear and speaks well about the amp's stability. I was only suggesting caution based upon the specs given on their website.
Indeed ... I was concerned because they only stated a spec for 8 ohms (in mono), but when I asked specifically about the issue (running in mono) with that particular speaker that drops to 3.83 ohms .... they replied with a firm "no problem" and stated that they would only be concerned if impedance dropped below 2 ohms. That being said, its a big 20/40 watts and I'm not thinking that I'll need more power - which is quite surprising to me.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:43 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Indeed ... I was concerned because they only stated a spec for 8 ohms (in mono), but when I asked specifically about the issue (running in mono) with that particular speaker that drops to 3.83 ohms .... they replied with a firm "no problem" and stated that they would only be concerned if impedance dropped below 2 ohms. That being said, its a big 20/40 watts and I'm not thinking that I'll need more power - which is quite surprising to me.
On the face of it, it may come across as surprising, but knowing good Class A amps, personally, doesn't surprise me one bit.

Enjoy! Aegir sounds like a fabulous amp!

And, for $799!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:59 PM

Sounds like Schiit has yet another winner in their lineup. The value that Schiit products offer is just insane as far as audio goes.

Would be interesting to line up some experienced ears and do some blind comparisons of the Aegir vs amps costing multiples. I would be willing to bet that given speakers and room that would not overtax the power capability of the Aegir, there would be many surprised faces after that blind comparison just like there was in a room full of "seasoned" audiophiles and PrimaLuna vs other products that were multiples of the price.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:10 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Sounds like Schiit has yet another winner in their lineup. The value that Schiit products offer is just insane as far as audio goes.

Would be interesting to line up some experienced ears and do some blind comparisons of the Aegir vs amps costing multiples. I would be willing to bet that given speakers and room that would not overtax the power capability of the Aegir, there would be many surprised faces after that blind comparison just like there was in a room full of "seasoned" audiophiles and PrimaLuna vs other products that were multiples of the price.
Yeah, I would bet that, too, Serge.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Got one :-) . I've had it for four days now - Wow!!! My recent acquisition of very revealing Revel F228Be's has sent me on the upgrade path. As good as my Musical Concepts modified Hafler is, the Aegir eclipses it in every way (even though it's only 1/6th the wattage rating). I also compared it to the new Parasound A23+ (excellent amp) and I felt that the Aegir was superior especially in the micro dynamics category. The A23+ was surprisingly good and I like it a lot, but it "feels" like there is more music trying to get out of that amp. But, with the Aegir there is an "ease" and richness (while still VERY open) about this amp that is simply a joy to listen to. As Aegir probably isn't fully burned in yet, I'll add more later - cheers!
Congratulations, Soundmig, on you purchase. I was happy to read your glowing comments about the Aegir. I own a Schiit Valhalla headphone amp and Gungnir dac, and am considering buying a Schiit amplifier to use with speakers. Based on your enthusiastic review, I am one step closer to adding an Aegir to my small collection of Schiit. Thanks again and happy listening.

ron
Old 05-31-2019, 01:55 PM

Update on Aegir as it burns in and as I gain experience with it: 1) The sonic character has not changed much from what it was at about 10 hours. 2) The standby mode helps the amp warm up and sound good quickly - within about 10 minutes its full snuff. 3) The bass has a warm quality that I like, but may not be to everyone's taste. Its big and full bodied, but doesn't "grip" the cones quite like a top notch A/B amp of higher power rating does. 4) The gain structure is a bit low such that, when running passive or via JFET buffers on my Freya, I can run out of ability to "turn it up" as far as I want to. Any active pre-amp (including Freya's tube stage) is plenty to get you all the gain that you want, but passive pre-amp operation may not be enough gain in some situations. Overall, I am still very impressed with this little amp as it sounds so inviting and has such a musical presentation.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Update on Aegir as it burns in and as I gain experience with it: 1) The sonic character has not changed much from what it was at about 10 hours. 2) The standby mode helps the amp warm up and sound good quickly - within about 10 minutes its full snuff. 3) The bass has a warm quality that I like, but may not be to everyone's taste. Its big and full bodied, but doesn't "grip" the cones quite like a top notch A/B amp of higher power rating does. 4) The gain structure is a bit low such that, when running passive or via JFET buffers on my Freya, I can run out of ability to "turn it up" as far as I want to. Any active pre-amp (including Freya's tube stage) is plenty to get you all the gain that you want, but passive pre-amp operation may not be enough gain in some situations. Overall, I am still very impressed with this little amp as it sounds so inviting and has such a musical presentation.
Thanks for the feedback. Over the years my preference actually leans towards a more analog and vinyl like bass response, big and full bodied as you describe. All too often class A/B sounds too dry and artificially sterile as far as bass. As the amp exerts grip over the cones but somewhere in the feedback loop it fudges the bass to be dry and artificial sounding with perhaps an overshoot of cone control. Musical instruments like to resonate, not start and stop on a dime as they say
Old 06-01-2019, 12:18 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Over the years my preference actually leans towards a more analog and vinyl like bass response, big and full bodied as you describe. All too often class A/B sounds too dry and artificially sterile as far as bass. As the amp exerts grip over the cones but somewhere in the feedback loop it fudges the bass to be dry and artificial sounding with perhaps an overshoot of cone control. Musical instruments like to resonate, not start and stop on a dime as they say
Well said. It could be that there's such a thing as too much damping factor. This probably explains why I tend to prefer tube amplifiers to solid-state. As much as I've liked my Premier 350SA, my much more modestly powered LP-70S has always struck me as more "musical"

Last edited by Puma Cat; 06-01-2019 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Well said. It could be that there's such a thing as too much damping factor.
There definitely is Stephen. Tube amps are notoriously low in damping factor yet people describe tubes as sounding more muscular and tube power is different, etc... Obviously you can’t control a speaker’s woofer as good with low damping factor but in those cases where a lower damping factor in not overtaxed by the speaker itself, I am convinced the magic really exists somewhere in that territory of “just right” vs “very dry” bass of over-control of the woofer. If you are hearing the “leading edge” of the transient response such as a kick drum being emphasized such that there is more “skin” and the initial impact but little “body of the drum” that follows, its too dry. I’ve often noticed that with very high damping factor amps with a few exceptions. Could be just my preference but vinyl and tubes and certain SS amps just sound more realistic to my ears when it comes to bass.

It is counterintuitive as the “emphasized” leading edge transients typically sound more dynamic short term but in longer term listening sessions it just doesn’t satisfy musically as there seems to be something missing and that missing component is always the body of the instruments producing lower frequencies to my ears.

Last edited by PHC1; 06-01-2019 at 12:52 AM.