AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > JBL Audio

JBL Audio Legendary Performance

Old 08-24-2015, 03:38 AM

Are you using single wire or bi-wire?
Old 08-24-2015, 05:36 AM

Thank you Mctwins. I am using single wire. Nothing expensive. Crown like JBL are made by Harmon?
Old 08-24-2015, 09:00 AM

Ok,

I was running in bi-wire at first but when I got the 4365 I also run in bi-wire with the Crown CDi 2/600N amp. I wasen't so eager to buy another pair of cables so I tested with single wire to my 4365. To me, it sounded much better with single wire. I also tested with 4429 in single wire and it sounded better here as well. But, I didn't like the metal plate jumper so I had some cable left overs and made some jumpers myself.

The jumpers that is on 4365 is

I am running all my speakers cables with Supra Ply 3.4.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:55 PM

The Supras look like nice cables. I have been using Bluejean cables I recently ordered. If I get a new amp, I may need new cables to fit. I'll try a cable jumper instead of the plates too.
How would you say the Crown amp would sound next to a MC452 or similar?
And thank you for all your responces. They are much appreciated.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshyne View Post
The Supras look like nice cables. I have been using Bluejean cables I recently ordered. If I get a new amp, I may need new cables to fit. I'll try a cable jumper instead of the plates too.
How would you say the Crown amp would sound next to a MC452 or similar?
And thank you for all your responces. They are much appreciated.
Hallo! Thanks, your welcome

Sound wise comparing with McIntosh and Crown is similar, to me. I was running one MC252 with 4429 and then connecting one more MC252 and running in mono config. What I notice is that the 4429 seems to like more power. So, if you are going to stay with McIntosh I would still go with one MC452, perfect match for those speakers. Not to soft and not to much power, but perfect.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:19 PM

One of the engineers at Harman Luxury Audio Group told me to use high powered amps with these new JBLs. This flys in the face of the high sensitivity thing. This is regarding the S4700s, though.

And I quote:

1. How low in impedance do they dip down too?
> >
> > Answer: 4 Ohms @ ~17kHz
> >
> > 2. How many watts are needed to make these really sing? I'm using both a 300Wpc A/B amp and a 25Wpc Class A amp.
> >
> > Answer: 300 watts at an 8 ohm rating. We always recommend having the extra power available rather than under powering your speakers. This method will ensure an optimal signal to noise ratio and you can adjust your volume to set your desired listening level without sacrificing sound quality. If you decide to use an amplifier that outputs more than your speakers power rating you will want to set your level accordingly to make sure you are not overdriving the speakers. In most cases, an audible distortion will be your word of warning.
> >
> > 3. The Class A amp runs out of gas at higher volumes, the A/B amp does not. Despite the 94db rating, do these speakers crave power?
> >
> > Answer: Yes, the S4700's should be powered with a minimum of 75 watts at an 8 ohm rating. Otherwise you run the risk of overheating your amplifier, or sending clipped audio signal to your loudspeakers which can damage the voice coils.
> >
Old 08-28-2015, 08:56 PM

Thank you for passing on the info Dave. They do run out of gas at higher volumes and I have decided to trade/sell the mc275 and acquire a used mc452 or similar. Truth is that I never really loved the mc275. I preferred the mc60 mono blocks but both are limiting when pairing with speakers.
In the mean time I may try the Crown that Mctwins suggested in the post above.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:14 AM

Hallo!

I would go for Crown Drivecore XLS 2002 instead of Crown DCi. Reason is that you must install Audio Architect for the DCi amp to be able to adjust and set the parameters in this amp. XLS don't require this. Much easier and simple this way.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:16 AM

It seems like a high tech amp. I noticed it had xlr inputs on the back of the XLS and not the DCi. As for as parameters, on the XLS, would it be plug and play?
Old 08-29-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshyne View Post
It seems like a high tech amp. I noticed it had xlr inputs on the back of the XLS and not the DCi. As for as parameters, on the XLS, would it be plug and play?
Hallo!

Yes, the XLS is a plug and play amp. Just connect the XLR to the amp and fire it up. It has Peak Limiter as well. I would set the knobs to around 3o'clock, but the best is to run a pink noise thru your C2200 and set the volume at 80%(important, do disconnect the speakerwire) and turn up the knobs and see when it goes into clipping and then back it down a bit so no clipping is on the amp. This is called a Gain Structure procedure.

It has also a AUX connector on the back and when connect between Sleep and Ground with a 3,5mm cable from your C2200 Power Control you can turn the XLS On/Off from the Preamp. I have this feature on my DCi amp and it works great.

I have McIntosh C48 so you know