AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 06-24-2015, 12:56 PM

Good stories! That's pretty cool; Macs on both sides of the family tree.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:04 PM

I remember my friend's father had a system that dated back to the late 70's. I don't recall the model, but the sound always stuck with me.

I got re-introduced by my local dealer and with his help, have begun my own McIntosh journey.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:46 PM

I lusted after McIntosh components when I was 12 years old, but could not afford it yet because my lawn mowing and snow blowing business did not have sufficient income. My first lusted for system included the MC275 amp and the Marantz 7C preamp.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:48 PM

There's another thread about this very topic. This is a copy and paste from that thread:

Before I was 10 years of age, the first personal music equipment I bought was a McIntosh tube receiver - 40 watts per channel. In fact, I had to buy separate, a wood chassis cover. Actually, if memory serves me, my dad bought it because he was concerned I would electrocute myself with the guts exposed. Yeah, he was right because I always got into trouble. LOL

Anyway, I saved up a long time with my paper route, raking leaves, mowing lawns, washing the neighbors windows, watering lawns... you name it... anything a kid could do to earn cash - [oh yeah, I collected cans/bottles too] and I needed loads doe. McIntosh wasn't cheap then either.

Ah -- I remember, the receiver at that time was just radical and I loved it. I was the kewlist kid on the block. Of course, I was one of those kids that played ball or anything physical [still thrive on physical sports/actively to this day] the streets with my neighborhood kids or while the folks were at work, raid the liquor cabinet [dilute the booze with water] and party on lawn and smoke.

I regularly blared AC/DC, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Ted Nugget, Queen, Heart, The B-52's, Journey, Foreigner, ZZTop, Pat Benetar, and Eddie Money from my bedroom window with some massive huge 3 way speakers. The McIntosh totally rocked!

Eventually I grew up, went to college and forgot about the stuff [bought Bang & Olufsen gear instead]

It wasn't until I went to visit my mum early last year and I went into the attic to grab some of my old junk. I couldn't find my receiver, the Gerard Turntable, Teac Tape Deck or speakers.

Wait for it -- dear ol' mum sold the McIntosh for $50 when she had garage/yard sale.

I was speechless. It's not like I can yell at my mum. But it did fired me up to buy McIntosh again and the gear I have today is way more killer awesome!
Old 06-24-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
I regularly blared AC/DC, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Ted Nugget, Queen, Heart, The B-52's, Journey, Foreigner, ZZTop, Pat Benetar, and Eddie Money from my bedroom window with some massive huge 3 way speakers. The McIntosh totally rocked!
Got any of the Rush vinyl remasters on 180g yet? I'm ordering a few of them asap!
Old 06-24-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalthien View Post
Got any of the Rush vinyl remasters on 180g yet? I'm ordering a few of them asap!
I do not. I only have the original vinyl pressings my dad gave to me. They're pretty awesome!
Old 06-24-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
I do not. I only have the original vinyl pressings my dad gave to me. They're pretty awesome!
Nice! I'm sure I'll end up with some originals as well. But I've heard great things about the remasters. I've already pre-ordered "Moving Pictures."
Old 06-30-2015, 01:18 AM

Way back in the late 70's at the local hi end audio dealer. It took me some 30 years to finally get my first McIntosh component. Always thinking it cost too much. Should have saved my money a little longer and got it much sooner and enjoyed having it through the many years. The quality is remembered, long after the price is forgotten.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:32 PM
Blown & Injected

My dad was into HiFi - he had Marantz, h/k, Dual, and Cerwin Vega but knew McIntosh was the best of the best. In the early '80s, I filled out an information request post card for McIntosh from one of dad's magazines and mailed it in. A few weeks later an envelope showed up full of brochures and a letter from Gordon Gow telling us McIntosh was best. I still have it!

Later, when I moved into my first apartment my dad calls me at work and says, "Got you a stereo today. It's a console with some McIntosh components and JBL speakers." I took off and raced home. The console contained a MX110 in front, a Dual 1019 up top, and a dusty MC240 in the rear. I could not believe my eyes! The JBLs were in home made cabinets and contained LE15s, PR15s, and LE85s. I sold the JBL components to purchase some Polk Monitor 5s and stands. That was my VERY first home audio system - 1990.

Since then, I have never not owned McIntosh. McIntosh - you've got me for life.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacman View Post
My dad was into HiFi - he had Marantz, h/k, Dual, and Cerwin Vega but knew McIntosh was the best of the best. In the early '80s, I filled out an information request post card for McIntosh from one of dad's magazines and mailed it in. A few weeks later an envelope showed up full of brochures and a letter from Gordon Gow telling us McIntosh was best. I still have it!

Later, when I moved into my first apartment my dad calls me at work and says, "Got you a stereo today. It's a console with some McIntosh components and JBL speakers." I took off and raced home. The console contained a MX110 in front, a Dual 1019 up top, and a dusty MC240 in the rear. I could not believe my eyes! The JBLs were in home made cabinets and contained LE15s, PR15s, and LE85s. I sold the JBL components to purchase some Polk Monitor 5s and stands. That was my VERY first home audio system - 1990.

Since then, I have never not owned McIntosh. McIntosh - you've got me for life.
Welcome to AA Tony glad to see you here