AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 09-29-2015, 09:39 PM
Bun E. Carlos

Default CM10S2......who's got 'em?

Curious if anyone has.....happy?
Old 09-30-2015, 10:38 AM

Since no one has answered yet, I will just say that I was rather impressed with CM10 S1. Which really, most people aren't aware is more like "1.5". Because much of what was new in the S2 series was already laid down by the time the late introduction of CM10 S1 happened. Very odd timing.

I believe the tweeter in 1 is the same as 2, whereas all the other CMs have the older tweeter. Yet the CM10 S1 hit before the nicer nickel plated connections.

In any case, for the brief time I had the CM10 S1, I was duly impressed with them. Very good bass extension and respectable mids and highs. However when compared with an 804 Diamond it is more "boxy" in its sound than the 804. The CM10 offers up more bass however, even though it's bass drivers are no where in the realm of the Rohacel units in the 804 Diamond (D2).

By the way, if you are looking at a pair of CM10 S2 at anywhere *NEAR* their full retail price. I would implore you to go to a Magnolia Design Center and see if there's any 804 D2 Diamonds left. Let's just say the price gap is not as much as you might think right now.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:18 AM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by playdrv4me View Post
Since no one has answered yet, I will just say that I was rather impressed with CM10 S1. Which really, most people aren't aware is more like "1.5". Because much of what was new in the S2 series was already laid down by the time the late introduction of CM10 S1 happened. Very odd timing.

I believe the tweeter in 1 is the same as 2, whereas all the other CMs have the older tweeter. Yet the CM10 S1 hit before the nicer nickel plated connections.

In any case, for the brief time I had the CM10 S1, I was duly impressed with them. Very good bass extension and respectable mids and highs. However when compared with an 804 Diamond it is more "boxy" in its sound than the 804. The CM10 offers up more bass however, even though it's bass drivers are no where in the realm of the Rohacel units in the 804 Diamond (D2).

By the way, if you are looking at a pair of CM10 S2 at anywhere *NEAR* their full retail price. I would implore you to go to a Magnolia Design Center and see if there's any 804 D2 Diamonds left. Let's just say the price gap is not as much as you might think right now.
Cool! Thx!
Old 10-01-2015, 08:28 PM

I've got a pair of S1, very decent for the price, I only paid $2400 new for the pair.

Now running as my rear surround speakers.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:55 PM

I really enjoyed my CM10 S1's. Very clear grain free mid range with great bass extension. I always thought they performed beyond their price point. I'm getting ready to put my mine up for sale since I took possession of these magnificent Focal 1038be's.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:12 PM

Sorry to hijack this old thread, but I just registered and am not able to create new threads yet.

I need help with a CM10 S2 issue.

I believe I destroyed the tweeter - I was listening to music at somewhat loud levels and the tweeter just stopped working. The midrange and bass drivers are fine. I have my CM10 S2's hooked up to a McIntosh C2600 pre and ML 533H amp. I was at approximately 55 to 60% on the C2600 volume level when the tweeter on one of the CM 10 S2s gave up on me.

Is repairing the tweeter a DIY kind of thing? I was able to find the tweeter on the new B&W encompass parts site but am wondering if I should attempt the replacement myself or take it to a repair shop like Technetron in NYC.

I believe that in order to remove the existing tweeter, I will first have to remove the mid range driver.

Can someone here please advise me on how to do that? I don't want to risk damaging the speaker..

Do I need special tools to remove the metal trims bordering the midrange woofer? I have previously replaced bass drivers on my Focal Kanta speakers but that didn't require any special tools - I just used a screw driver and butter knife to gently pry the metal trims off and then unscrewed the woofers..will the same technique work with the CM 10 S2s?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-19-2021, 12:05 PM

My CM 10’s did this twice. First time I sent them off for repair through Magnolia. Two weeks later they stopped working again. I discovered that the tweeter connection is loose. I doubt they did anything to repair it. Try playing with it a bit and see if you can get it to play. If so you may be able to get it to hold in place. I know a bit odd but mine stayed in place never stopped working again.