AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 06-29-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Okay, guys, as a photographer, maybe I can help out a bit here; Dan is 100% correct about the requirements regarding image sizing.

There three key units (or measures) that are important for displaying a photograph on a web page, e.g. AA.: Long dimension, Height dimension, and resolution. When I post an image, I almost always only edit ONE (1) of these, and let the resizing software re-scale the other dimension (so that the aspect ratio stays the same).

Long dimension: (usually the relevant dimension for Landscape orientation): For landscape orientation photographs, most photographers work in useful to work in "multiples", eg. 720, 960, 1024, 1280 pixels wide. Useful long dimensions for AA would be 1024 or 1280 pixels wide in the long dimension.

Height dimension: When presenting photos in vertical (portrait) orientation, I usually use 720 pixels, 800, or 960 pixels (this depends on the size of the display/monitor). For laptop displays, 720 to 800 pixels high is usually best for image height

Resolution: this is measured as "pixels per inch", aka "PPI". Most photographs brought into Photoshop from modern digital cameras are at a default resolution of 240 PPI. Certain displays, e.g., iPhones, Androids, iPads, and Retina displays in Macbooks have a fairly high native resolution. For example, an iPhone 8 has a resolution of 326 PPI, and my iPad 3 Retina's resolution is also 326 PPPI.

Here's the key thing, you don't need to display photos at 326 PPI resolution for viewing on the web. The resolution of most "non-Retina" style displays, e.g. my 27" Apple Thunderbolt or NEC professional graphics display is 109 PPI. This is the resolution I recommend for posting on web sites, e.g., AA.

Its easy to "downsample" a photo from your modern digital camera, iPhone or Android.

You can use the Preview app on the Mac OS and easily resize your photos, just open in Preview and from under the Tool menu, select Adjust Size (as shown)

Then, simply type in the dimensions for resizing your photo, as shown here (1280 pixels long at 109 PPI)

Here's an example (sorry, I don't post girlie pics..) of a photo 1280 pixels wide at 109 PPI.

For image hosting, I use ImageEvent. It inexpensive (~$20/year) and it will let you upload your original photo to different sizes, including those suitable for posting on AA. I usually have images sized at 1024 and 1280 for posting here. At the bottom of each photo, there is hypertext link called "Link" that provides the URL for the photo so that you can embed that link in your post (as shown above).

Hope this helps.

For the more advanced photographers that use Lightroom or Photoshop, if you want, I can post the workflow for resizing your photos in those applications. Just let me know; happy to help out.

Cheers,
the 'ole snuggle-toothed, gamy-legged Puma Cat.

You left out capture one!, but no workflow needed for it. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:25 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
You left out capture one!, but no workflow needed for it. Thanks for the info.
I actually use Capture One 12.1 for my professional work, but I figured not many folks here would.

If so...good on ya!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:26 PM

Lightroom made me nuts. Capture one is much better. Now, back to the thread ....
Old 06-29-2019, 03:29 PM

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
What is wrong with these pics being big??
Old 06-29-2019, 03:29 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
Lightroom made me nuts. Capture one is much better. Now, back to the thread ....
Capture One....ROCKS!

LOVE it...

Now, back to the thread.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Okay, guys, as a photographer, maybe I can help out a bit here; Dan is 100% correct about the requirements regarding image sizing.

There three key units (or measures) that are important for displaying a photograph on a web page, e.g. AA.: Long dimension, Height dimension, and resolution. When I post an image, I almost always only edit ONE (1) of these, and let the resizing software re-scale the other dimension (so that the aspect ratio stays the same).

Long dimension: (usually the relevant dimension for Landscape orientation): For landscape orientation photographs, because of the Bayer arrays in digital cameras, most photographers find it useful work in "multiples", of 8, eg. 720, 960, 1024, 1280 pixels wide. Useful long dimensions for AA would be 1024 or 1280 pixels wide in the long dimension. The largest I would use would be 1280 pixels wide.

Height dimension: When presenting photos in vertical (portrait) orientation, I usually use 720 pixels, 800, or 960 pixels (this depends on the size of the display/monitor). For laptop displays, 720 to 800 pixels high is usually best for image height

Resolution: this is measured as "pixels per inch", aka "PPI". Most photographs brought into Photoshop from modern digital cameras are at a default resolution of 240 PPI. Certain displays, e.g., iPhones, Androids, iPads, and Retina displays in Macbooks have a fairly high native resolution. For example, an iPhone 8 has a resolution of 326 PPI, and my iPad 3 Retina's resolution is also 326 PPPI.

Here's the key thing, you don't need to display photos at 326 PPI resolution for viewing on the web. The resolution of most "non-Retina" style displays, e.g. my 27" Apple Thunderbolt or NEC professional graphics display is 109 PPI. This is the resolution I recommend for posting on web sites, e.g., AA.

Its easy to "downsample" a photo from your modern digital camera, iPhone or Android.

You can use the Preview app on the Mac OS and easily resize your photos, just open in Preview and from under the Tool menu, select Adjust Size (as shown)

Then, simply type in the dimensions for resizing your photo, as shown here (1280 pixels long at 109 PPI)

Here's an example of a photo 1280 pixels wide at 109 PPI.

For image hosting, I use ImageEvent. It inexpensive (~$20/year) and it will let you upload your original photo to different sizes, including those suitable for posting on AA. I usually have images sized at 1024 and 1280 for posting here. At the bottom of each photo, there is hypertext link called "Link" that provides the URL for the photo so that you can embed that link in your post (as shown above).

Hope this helps.

For the more advanced photographers that use Lightroom or Photoshop, if you want, I can post the workflow for resizing your photos in those applications. Just let me know; happy to help out.

Cheers,
the 'ole snuggle-toothed, gamy-legged Puma Cat.
Great post, thank you!
Old 06-29-2019, 09:38 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Not wanting to beat a dead horse, but use either an iPhone or iPad and rarely my Mac Book Pro to surf and post to the forums - is the consensus I have to resize or am I ok?
Old 06-29-2019, 11:35 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
Not wanting to beat a dead horse, but use either an iPhone or iPad and rarely my Mac Book Pro to surf and post to the forums - is the consensus I have to resize or am I ok?
Hi Ed,

You should upload images no longer than 1400 pixels wide on the long edge or they will be deleted by the moderators. There are plenty of apps for editing photos on your iPhone or iPad to resize an image to ≤1400 pixels wide, including Lightroom CC.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:36 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Hi Ed,

You should upload images no longer than 1400 pixels wide on the long edge or they will be deleted by the moderators. There are plenty of apps for editing photos on your iPhone or iPad to resize an image to ≤1400 pixels wide, including Lightroom CC.

Ok, thank you!!!
Old 06-29-2019, 11:47 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
Ok, thank you!!!

You're welcome....

Here's a simple way to resize images on your iPad or iPhone:

How to resize photos on your iPhone and iPad
  1. Launch Image Size from your Home screen.
  2. Tap the Image Icon in the upper right corner. ...
  3. Tap the image you would like to resize.
  4. Tap Choose in the lower right corner.
  5. Select your image resize option at the top of the page.