AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 06-02-2010, 08:31 PM

Default Jadis

Anyone have experience with Jadis stuff? I auditioned a JPS2 2 box preamp and JA80 60 Watt Class A tube amps recently using a pc running through an Ayre USB dac and then through Wilson Sashas.

I have to admit the sound was pretty mesmerising.

Any experience with these lovely amps??

Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Media Server Aficionado

They look excruciatingly expensive.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:55 PM
What?

Not sure if I like the power cord socket location...but they probably sound pretty sweet
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg
Old 06-02-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
They look excruciatingly expensive.
Not cheap but not as expensive as you might think.

Preamp: US$12k
Monoblocks: US$18k

at least over here. Not sure about prices in the US.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:18 AM

Howie,

I have heard and have loved them. Lusted actually. They have an excellent dealer here in So Cal named Brooks Berdan. One of, if not THE best, analog dealers in this area. They are a top line Jadis dealer and I have heard those amps driving the Wilson Alexandras and it was nothing short of magnificent.

Also heard them on Quads, a much smaller amp, the KT-88 integrated I think, and it was also seriously delicious,

These amps have that beautiful tube midrange and ss like bass punch.

Great stuff.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
Howie,

I have heard and have loved them. Lusted actually. They have an excellent dealer here in So Cal named Brooks Berdan. One of, if not THE best, analog dealers in this area. They are a top line Jadis dealer and I have heard those amps driving the Wilson Alexandras and it was nothing short of magnificent.

Also heard them on Quads, a much smaller amp, the KT-88 integrated I think, and it was also seriously delicious,

These amps have that beautiful tube midrange and ss like bass punch.

Great stuff.
Interesting stuff. How would you compare the sonic signature of the Jadis with Audio Note??

I just spent two hours listening to them again and the sound got better and better. The old Jadis sound which could be described as 'thick' has developed into a quicker paced and more detailed sound but with tube warmth retained.

The JPS2 preamp has a tube specifically for the cd input. The sound through this input is quite different from the other line inputs bringing even more tube intoxication. It's a nice touch to have so you can pick and choose the sonic signature to suit your CDP.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:55 AM

Howie,

I will try to draw a comparison, but first, what are those speakers on the stands???
Old 06-03-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
Howie,

I will try to draw a comparison, but first, what are those speakers on the stands???
Sorry it is not a photo of the demo just a stock photo to show what the amps look like!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:17 PM

Howie Bro,

So you are looking into tubes now.

Seriously, there are many choices, apart from schools (SET vs Push Pull). Opinion varies and its best you understand the characteristics of each marque and if they are a good match to your music preferences vs the speakers you intend to drive.

Jadis is an "all rounder", kinda like McIntosh, albeit like exquisite vs retro.

Personally, I would still prefer McIntosh, just for the sake of being a couch potato where it can be remotely controlled vs very manual for the Jadis.

Performance wise, each has its own strengths but like I said, in the end, its still McIntosh for me should I turn to tubes.

Kondo and its distant British cousin "Audio Note" are not my cup of tea. I prefer MORE watts, just in case in future I ditch Horns. At least, I still have amps that can push slightly more difficult speakers. If I go Japanese manufacture, Air Tight would come across strongly. Of course, if pocket deep enough, I would say Wavacs!

Whatever you choose amongst these brands, dont think you would be far from wrong. Its all a matter of taste, maybe acquired taste would be the better word I should use. Happy hunting.

Cheers!

Last edited by JSCC; 06-03-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:48 PM

Howie...are you considering other tube amps? I would be interested in your thoughts on a comparison with other well known tube amp brands as Jadis has very sparse distribution in the US and so the opportunity to hear them on this side of the pond is very limited. Let us know if you audition tube amps from other companies such as EAR, McIntosh, ARC, VTL, and Conrad Johnson (these are the names that I would compare with Jadis equipment). Thx