AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 08-31-2010, 04:19 PM
Semi-audiophile

Has anyone tried the newer 12TC? I have no real complaints with the 8TC in my system, but wonder if the extra 6 conductors make much of a difference.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Scottsmrnyc

I just started experimenting with speaker cable recently. It is one of the last thnings I need to do to finalize my system. Previously I was using some low end Monster Cable but I wanted to upgrade slightly; just to get my feet wet. I saw a review in TAS and I liked the price; so I bought the Anti Cables. I must admit that I do not have a lot of knowledge about cables but I must admit that from what I was using before, I do like the Anti Cables. They are shaper, have a faster attack, wider highs and mids and a fuller bass. Remember I said compared to what I was using before. I am sure that after the break in period, they will even sound better. I also like the customer service provided by Paul and his lovely wife. For now, the Anti Calbes are just fine.
McIntosh-MC1.2KWs(4), MC501(1), MX135(2),MT10(2), MVP881BR(1),MEN220(2), Stax SRM007t(1), Stax SRM007ta(1),Stax SRA12S (2), Stax SRDXPro(3), Stax 4070(3), Stax Sigma Pros(2), Stax Sigma Non Pros (4), Headroom Balanced Max Loaded (1), Wadia Ipod Docking Station (3), Cerwin Vega D9s(4), Cerwin Vega CMX 212s (4), Adona Corporation Signature Component Stands (2), Adona Reference Amplifier Stands (4). Sony 70 Inch BR 1080p, AntiCable Speaker Cables (8), PS Audio PPP (2), PS Audio Power Cords(11), Teac 3340s(2), PS Audio Power Plant Premiers(2),Audio Research PH1(1), Sennheiser HD650(1), Sennheiser HD600 (1) Sennheiser HD580(1) Koss Pro4AA(1), Koss Quadraphones(4), Koss Phase2 (1) Koss 5Q(2), Headroom Micro Headphone Portable Amp(2)HP Pavilion Dv7, Ipad2, Tascam ATR 60, Tascam ATR 80.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Cool, calm scientist

I've been using Anti-Cables for over two years now and I like them a lot. They certainly provide really excellent performance for money at $10 per pair per foot, terminated.

They do take about 500 hours of playing to be at their best.

While I like them a lot, I am thinking of upgrading to guess what? Kimber 8TC. Why?
Because in my little listening area, I have to move one of my speakers daily to an optimal position for critical listening. The stiff Anti-Cables don't take to the bending from movement that well, and I've broken off the spades a couple of time now as a result. I'd like a more flexible cable that won't be a at risk for breaking terminations from frequent movement.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
Has anyone tried the newer 12TC? I have no real complaints with the 8TC in my system, but wonder if the extra 6 conductors make much of a difference.
There is a review of 12TC in TAS from last year, and the reviewer was pretty inconclusive as to whether 12TC really sounded any better than 8TC.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
There is a review of 12TC in TAS from last year, and the reviewer was pretty inconclusive as to whether 12TC really sounded any better than 8TC.
Stephen.......Yes, that was the October 2010 TAS. Paul Seydor reported on the Kimber 12TC speaker cable. He felt the 12TC improvements were incremental rather than dramatic, and that he may replace his Kimber 8TC, but he remains pleased how well the ever reliable 8TC continues to hold its own.

I have used Kimber 8TC for years in my main system, and most recently wired the SF Guarneri Memento's in the studio system with Kimber 8TC. I could not be happier with the performance of this speaker cable. It is quite simply an invisible conduit to the recording. At $31 a foot without terminations it isn't cheap, but it is no where near the ridiculously expensive price of many other manufacturer's speaker cables. I can recommend Kimber 8TC to anyone looking for a premium speaker cable.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Thanks, Dan, I really appreciate your input. i've been looking for nicely broken in 8ft pair of Kimber 8TC (with the clear/white jacketing) with terminations on Audiogon for a while now, but it seems I am always a day or so too late! They get posted and they sell, boom, like that. Just like Shunyata power cords, as it turns out. I'll keep trying for a while, but if I don't find something fairly soon, I may have to bite the bullet and order up a new set from The Cable Company. Any info on break-in time?

I'll bet those SF Guarneri Mementos sound wonderful. I've always like SF speakers, I was sporting major wood for the Cremona M's for a while before I discovered Dyns.

By the way, there is a review of the Michell Gryo SEduction in Hi Fi Choice this month...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gyro Pic.jpg (47.9 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-30-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Thanks, Dan, I really appreciate your input. i've been looking for nicely broken in 8ft pair of Kimber 8TC (with the clear/white jacketing) with terminations on Audiogon for a while now, but it seems I am always a day or so too late! They get posted and they sell, boom, like that. Just like Shunyata power cords, as it turns out. I'll keep trying for a while, but if I don't find something fairly soon, I may have to bite the bullet and order up a new set from The Cable Company. Any info on break-in time?

I'll bet those SF Guarneri Mementos sound wonderful. I've always like SF speakers, I was sporting major wood for the Cremona M's for a while before I discovered Dyns.
Stephen.......The newest pair of Kimber 8TC speaker cables I have on the SFGM's are 15 feet in length, terminated with WBT Top Line locking banana plugs. They presently have approximately 500 hours on the cables. I honestly believe they blossomed somewhere around 100 hours, although they sounded awesome from the first hour.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Looks sweet, Dan.

Are these the newest WBT Next-gen Copper banana plugs? I heard a very controlled demo by WBT at RMAF 2009 using the WBT Next-gen Copper binding posts on a pair of speakers where, with the press of a switch, you could instantly A/B them to the traditinal brass-based WBTs on the same exact speaker, and the difference was notable. Copper definitely sounds better than brass.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Stephen.......The WBT Top Line is gold plated brass. I previously had them installed on the 8TC cables in the main system. When I installed the WBT Next-Gen solid silver angled locking bananas with the pure copper crimp sleeves on my PMC EB1i's and amps in the main system, the WBT Top Line locking bananas became spares. I pressed them back into service when I purchased the Memento's for the studio system. Ultimately, I plan to install the WBT solid silver angled locking banana plugs with pure copper crimp sleeves on the GM's and amps in the studio system, too.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Stephen.......What a tease. You're killing me. That's the Mitchell arm too, right?