AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 12-30-2021, 05:41 PM

Default Current state of Home Theater Processors/Receivers

Hey guys,

After selling our last home in the summer I traded in my Classe setup that had been my system for 15 years+ (CA5300 & SSP800).

My new home has a room that the previous people had a theater, but it was really basic and I am replacing it all. While I don't buy Blurays anymore, I have a Sony UBP-X800M2 4K UHD Blu-ray Player ready to go, have a JVC DLA-RS3100 on order (they are behind on production of course), but have not decided on my sound system or speakers at this point. Streaming and live TV will be 90% of the use, listening to music the other 10% maybe. I assume the picture will be stunning...

I always wrestle with having great sound (which my Classe did IMHO), with current tech (which the Classe was waaay behind on) and future upgrades/tech changes. I don't want to be switching out a receiver every year to have the newest stuff, but don't want to miss out on the significant changes.

So I guess after all that, what are your thoughts on the current state of Home Theater sound? 5.1 vs ? Best value for processors or receivers that deliver the goods? Any thing to consider I haven't thought of? Let's have a chat!
Old 12-30-2021, 06:27 PM
Life is beautiful

For TV and streaming, very decent processors from Yamaha and Marantz (4K) will more than do the trick.
They will last 5 - 7 years, before their technology will be really outdated.
Amps, subs and speakers: depend on your budget.
If it is for TV, I wouldn't spend a fortune.

I haven't heard Atmos of Auro 3D yet, it seems it's quite spectacular, but I'm still very happy with our 5.2 set-up.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-30-2021, 06:40 PM

I used to want a single system for both stereo and HT but if you have the space, having two dedicated systems might work out better.

It is hard to go wrong with M&K speakers for HT. The S300/S150 range is basically what they use in Lucas/Disney/Paramount for engineers to master movie soundtracks.

When used behind an acoustically transparent screen, the sound seamlessly matches to the on screen action and it is all the more immersive. Plus you don't need crazy expensive electronics to get them to work. I've found even a modest Denon 4700H will drive all 9 channels well.

When my friends and I were trying to integrate HT with good stereo, you end up trying to get matching centre and surround speakers that will integrate well with your mains so these would often cost a fair bit more and also require you to invest in similarly priced amplification to match. And may not even offer as well integrated a system as a dedicated one like the M&K

For me, if I were purchasing a new processor/amp combo now, I might wait to see when Anthem will release the HDMI 2.1 boards for the AVM70/MRX1140. This will offer a better match to the 4K120/8K compatibility in your JVC projector.

In the past, we always needed to buy specific discs just to make the most of our 7.1 system. These days, DisneyPlus, HBO Max and Netflix all have Dolby Atmos soundtracks on their latest movies so there is no shortage of material.

For Atmos, I recommend at least 4 overhead channels so you can get the surround effect overhead as well. I'd even take a 5.1.4 over a 7.1.2 any day, especially if you are using one of the M&K S150T/S300T tripoles
Old 12-31-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
. . . when Anthem will release the HDMI 2.1 boards for the AVM70/MRX1140
This is the route I went. I am happy with the results. Anthem ARC takes some time to set up, but it works fine in leveling out room effects.

I will be going to a JVC laser projector next.
Old 12-31-2021, 12:59 PM

Thanks guys!
I understand the new Anthem stuff looks promising, though it seems there are some teething problems, will check into the M & K speakers as well.

Yamaha & Marantz are certainly at the top of my list for receivers...wondering about some of the other processers out there as well. Monoprice? Trinnov? JBL? Others?

It's always tricky deciding whether spending a bit more delivers much more. My last system was B&W 800D/HTM1D and 803Ds with JL subs...I really noticed a big upgrade in sound going from a Denon receiver to the Classe. I guess I am trying to find the line where I can get great bang for my buck and still have 90% of the sound.
Old 01-01-2022, 01:44 AM

One thing to consider is you can get a nice AV processor and a bunch of separate amps. This way you can upgrade the AV processor at a lower cost later down the line vs buying a high end all in one. It will cost you more but provide more flexibility in the long run.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
One thing to consider is you can get a nice AV processor and a bunch of separate amps.
True - my Anthem is the AVM70. I'm using the same McIntosh amps I have used for several years. This is perhaps the third processor for some of the amps.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:23 PM

I moved from a flagship Marantz AV pre pro to an Anthem AVM60 and I have to say even without ARC, the Anthem was just a better preamp. The steering of effects between different channels was just spectacular. That’s the difference to me between a good preamp and a great one. It works in stereo as well as HT.

The first movie I put on was one I had seen numerous times - the first Iron Man movie. And that opening scene, I’d seen the tumbleweed blow across the screen in front of the humvee so many times. But that was the first time I’d actually heard it.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
I moved from a flagship Marantz AV pre pro to an Anthem AVM60 and I have to say even without ARC, the Anthem was just a better preamp. The steering of effects between different channels was just spectacular. That’s the difference to me between a good preamp and a great one. It works in stereo as well as HT.

The first movie I put on was one I had seen numerous times - the first Iron Man movie. And that opening scene, I’d seen the tumbleweed blow across the screen in front of the humvee so many times. But that was the first time I’d actually heard it.
Awesome! This is what I am thinking as well...
Old 01-02-2022, 10:38 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post

That's interesting!
My processor will be 7 years old, so a new one might be coming soon.

One question: can you play multi-channel DSD from a SACD-player from your Anthem (without conversion to PCM in between)?
I have a lot of SACDs, I'm not planning on ripping them.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables