AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 08-19-2021, 11:33 PM

Default Repair or replace?

For a while now, I've been using a PS Audio P10 which was purchased used from a local new/used hifi dealer. Unfortunately, it died and is out of warranty. Specifically, it shuts down after power cycling even with nothing connected.

I'm a fan of Shunyata's products and my cable loom includes several Delta and Alpha V1 and V2 cords, and also an Alpha Ethernet.

PS Audio will repair the P10 with a cap on the repair cost at $1,000. However, freight both ways is likely to run a couple hundred dollars at least and I'm a little worried that because the regenerators are active devices, it could happen again.

So, I'm looking for a little advice. My options are as follows:

1) Repair the P10 (cheapest option in the short term).
2) Trade in the P10 on a P12 or P15 ($3000 and $4500 w/ trade-in discount respectively). Own the newer model with a full warranty.
3) Buy a Shunyata conditioner.

If I go option 3, of course there are several options.

1) Keep the cost down, get a Hydra D6 ($3250)
2) Buy a used Denali V1 ($3000-3500)
3) Buy a new Denali V2 ($5500)
4) Go nuts, buy an Everest and don't look back

Option 1 feels like too much a compromise. I'm sure it's great, but at a similar price option 2 seems to make more sense, assuming I can find one.

Option 3 and 4 are the ideal, except for the cost.

My system:

Focal Sopra No 2
Parasound JC2 BP/JC5
Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC
Mofi Ultradeck/Hana SL/JC3 Jr

Right now, I use the Delta V2's on the DAC and preamp, Alpha V2 to power the amp and an Alpha V1 into a Pangea Octet distributor (bought as a temporary measure).

For my gear level, I suspect the Denali or Denali V2 would be the recommended choice. However, the Everest isn't out of the question budget-wise.

Thoughts? Aside from 8 outlets vs 6 and the larger QR/BB capacity, is there another difference?

Also, would a C19 Alpha NR V1 serve as a decent inlet line or would it hold the performance back significantly? Likely, I'd use that cable to supply any distributor I buy for the time being.

Thanks.

Last edited by ChrisMag; 08-19-2021 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:44 PM

I used to have the p10, in a house that had terrible wiring. It helped quite a bit. But then I moved to a new house with decent wiring and sold it for a Denali 6000s v2. It was a huge upgrade. I bought it through Ivan with a discount, so your price listed isnt what you would pay. In fact, your price looked higher than msrp when I bought mine... Maybe they went up.

Anyway, you might want to fix your p10 just so you can offload it. Otherwise, what would you do with it?

Assuming you don't have terrible wiring (14awg or other issues limiting current), I would go towards the shunyata offerings. I don't have experience with the everest, but I am a believer in keeping your gear all in the same "league" so to speak. I think that Denali is fantastic and would serve you well for less money.

Btw, I am also using a Sigma v1 to feed the Denali. Front end gear only. Amps are straight to the wall with Alpha NR v2 here. Great results.

I suggest you talk to Ivan if you are a subscriber.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post

Anyway, you might want to fix your p10 just so you can offload it. Otherwise, what would you do with it?

Assuming you don't have terrible wiring (14awg or other issues limiting current), I would go towards the shunyata offerings. I don't have experience with the everest, but I am a believer in keeping your gear all in the same "league" so to speak. I think that Denali is fantastic and would serve you well for less money.

Btw, I am also using a Sigma v1 to feed the Denali. Front end gear only. Amps are straight to the wall with Alpha NR v2 here. Great results.

I suggest you talk to Ivan if you are a subscriber.
I think if I decided against repairing it, I would either give it away to someone who wanted to pay for the repair or offer it back to PS Audio to recycle it, assuming they would pay for freight.

My power is okay. I live in a late-70's house with a dedicated 20A line. However, I'm in a metro area and not terribly far from Intel's fabs, so there is definitely distortion on the A/C line. I think 2.5-2.8% THD was typical and the display on the P10 often showed some waveform clipping. Voltage always seemed to hover around 121-122v.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMag View Post
I think if I decided against repairing it, I would either give it away to someone who wanted to pay for the repair or offer it back to PS Audio to recycle it, assuming they would pay for freight.

My power is okay. I live in a late-70's house with a dedicated 20A line. However, I'm in a metro area and not terribly far from Intel's fabs, so there is definitely distortion on the A/C line. I think 2.5% THD was typical and the display on the P10 often showed some waveform clipping. Voltage always seemed to hover around 121-122v.
I think, with a dedicated line, you can ditch the p10 and never look back. Good luck, I'll follow your progress.
Old 08-20-2021, 12:02 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Chris… you have a PM.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 08-20-2021, 12:05 AM

Will repairing the P10 let you bring in enough on the used market to justify doing the repair? I say sell it and go for a Shunyata. Given your equipment I’d say shoot for no less than a Denali v2. Maybe a repaired P10 might allow you to wait for a used one to appear. Last one I saw listed was about $3800. The Everest would be a great move if you could swing it but you would need to add to it at least a Sigma XC.
Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri power cords, QSA Lanedri Revelation XLR interconnect, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256
Old 08-20-2021, 12:24 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Chris… your problem is as good as solved.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 08-20-2021, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyb123 View Post
Will repairing the P10 let you bring in enough on the used market to justify doing the repair? I say sell it and go for a Shunyata. Given your equipment I’d say shoot for no less than a Denali v2. Maybe a repaired P10 might allow you to wait for a used one to appear. Last one I saw listed was about $3800. The Everest would be a great move if you could swing it but you would need to add to it at least a Sigma XC.
I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. I mean, maybe I'd get $1500-2000 for it, so perhaps I could net $500-$1000 but I'd be stuck shipping a 75lb box multiple times for a return which isn't that large and if there were a problem after-sale, the frustration wouldn't be worth it. I think I'd rather sell it for a few hundred and let the buyer take the risk (or give it to a friend).

There's a used v1 on Audiogon for around $3200 currently. Seems like a fair price but do I really want the older model? I know a guy locally who upgraded from the v1 to the v2 and said it wasn't game-changing, more of a refinement. However, I might have reached a different conclusion than he did. Who knows.

Also, I'm not inclined to go all-in on an Everest + Sigma XC at one time. Too much of an outlay all at once, especially after spending what I did for the Tambaqui.
Old 08-20-2021, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMag View Post
. There's a used v1 on Audiogon for around $3200 currently. Seems like a fair price but do I really want the older model? I know a guy locally who upgraded from the v1 to the v2 and said it wasn't game-changing, more of a refinement. However, I might have reached a different conclusion than he did. Who knows.
That price is high. The 6000/S v1 should be about $2500. That’s confirmed by Audiogon’s blue book. I had been keeping an eye on the prices in consideration of selling mine in order to move to the v2.

I don’t really take advantage of the QR/BB technology in my v1 as my amp sounds better plugged into my second dedicated circuit all by itself. The v2 has 3 QR/BB circuits while the v1 has only one (I think). What that means is that each of the duplexes on the v2 are equivalent to just the one “high current” outlet on the v1. Depending on your gear that may be beneficial. I believe the CCI filters are also improved on the v2.

I only have one device that has an analog stage plugged into my v1 (my DAC). That gets the high current outlet while my music server and my EtherRegen each get one of the other outlets to themselves. So the v1 is a pretty good fit for my particular situation.

I should also mention that when I had an analog rig, the v1 worked wonders with it. You really can’t go wrong with a v1. The v2 will be better, but I don’t expect the value of the v1 to drop that much any time soon, so you can always flip it later to move up.
Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri power cords, QSA Lanedri Revelation XLR interconnect, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256
Old 08-21-2021, 02:51 PM

Update: I pulled the trigger yesterday on a Denali 6000 V2.

Thanks Ivan!