AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 01-14-2022, 06:09 PM
Life is beautiful

Franz Joseph Aumann - Chamber Music in the Abbey of St. Florian
Ars Antiqua Austria, Gunar Letzbor
Qobuz 24/44.1

Hmm... for me, this is generic music. And I'm being kind.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-15-2022, 12:05 PM
Life is beautiful

Bernhard Romberg - Cello Concertos 4 & 6 - Rondo Capriccioso op. 69
Raphael Wallfisch
London Mozart Players
via Qobuz

This is quite good!
We enjoyed it.

Romberg’s Fourth Cello Concerto numbers among his most beloved compositions; younger cellists like Justus Johann Friedrich Dotzauer and Maximilian Bohrer even had it in their repertories. As far as forms and movement types are concerned, Romberg adheres to traditional precedents, but the design of the large forms does not at all stand in the way of many interesting and innovative individual traits.

Romberg’s first documented performance of his Sixth Cello Concerto, known as the "Concerto militaire", was held in St. Petersburg in 1812. As everywhere was the case, the work and its performance were greeted with enthusiasm. The local reviewer for the Allgemeine musikalische Zeitung wrote: "Here too he received more applause than all the musicians who have been here. Those who heard him seemed to be quite genuinely enchanted". © CPO
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-15-2022, 01:16 PM

Mozart: Piano Sonatas, K. 330, 331 & 284

Chika Inaoka (piano)

Release Date: 17th Jul 2020
Catalogue No: KDC2078
Label: OMF
Length: 70 minutes
Old 01-15-2022, 09:06 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Bart,

I believed you on this one and I'm playing it now via Tidal. You may recall that I'm not particularly fond of many composers more recent than Bach and Handel etc. and I do appreciate your introducing me to new recordings of music by the old folks. Sounds good on my Sonus Fabers. The organ is quite nice and so is the big fiddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Bach for Two - Transcriptions and Originals for Viola da gamba and Organ
Romina Lischka
Marnix De Cat

Qobuz 24/96

One of the albums above led me to exploring this label a bit more.
This is a great album!
Good sound too.

Johann Sebastian Bach left us three sonatas for viola da gamba and harpsichord. He made various transcriptions of the gamba sonata in G major, one of which was of the last movement as a trio sonata for organ. Several movements of the six organ trio sonatas themselves are also reworkings of previously composed material from his cantatas, organ and chamber works.

This practice inspired the "Bach for Two" programme by Romina Lischka and Marnix De Cat, in which they have assembled the most beautiful combinations of viola da gamba and organ in both original and arranged versions of Bach’s chorale preludes and trios. Bach is a master of both the head and the heart. With text and melody as his starting point, he created small musical worlds in his chorale preludes for organ and takes the listener on the most varied of inner journeys. To experience musical joy, to find inner peace through every possible emotion, to be comforted in one’s search or sorrow, to be moved to the depths of one’s being - this is the art of Bach, the magician of sound. © Ramée

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 01-16-2022, 11:01 AM

Well, it's morning, but...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Respighi.jpg (86.9 KB, 9 views)
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 01-16-2022, 02:49 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Bart,

I believed you on this one and I'm playing it now via Tidal. You may recall that I'm not particularly fond of many composers more recent than Bach and Handel etc. and I do appreciate your introducing me to new recordings of music by the old folks. Sounds good on my Sonus Fabers. The organ is quite nice and so is the big fiddle

Julian, glad you liked it!
We've seen the fiddler live a couple of times (good ol' times they were!), and she's brilliant.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:56 PM
Life is beautiful

J.S. Bach & beyond - A Well-Tempered Conversation
Julien Libeer
Qobuz 24/96

We've seen this pianist also a couple of times live, and he's one of our favourites.
But this is not his best effort.
It's well played and recorded, but the pairing with Ligeti and co was not to our liking earlier this weekend.
We tried again today, and the verdict was: there is better out there!

To mark the 300th anniversary of the publication of Book I of The Well-Tempered Clavier, Julien Libeer had the idea of presenting it in an unusual light: here he initiates a dialogue in which Bach’s major-key prelude-and-fugue pairs "converse" with later pieces (in the corresponding minor keys) by composers who, in their own way, have built upon the advances Johann Sebastian made in his foundational undertaking. Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Rachmaninov, Ligeti, and Schoenberg are all part of the conversation with the Leipzig Cantor in this intricate play of mirrors... © harmonia mundi
Old 01-16-2022, 03:31 PM
Life is beautiful

W.A. Mozart - Rondos & Sonatas
Chika Inaoka, piano
Qobuz 24/96

Another winner from this label with this musician.
She just plays these masterpieces wonderfully.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:37 PM
Life is beautiful

More OMF goodies!

Masako Abe - ego flos campi
Marie Nishiyama, baroque harp & cembalo
Qobuz 24/192

Simply wonderful.
Abe has a wonderful voice, and although her diction is not perfect, it's very pleasant to listen to her.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:41 PM

Carl Maria von Weber
Piano Concertos Nos 1 & 2
Polacca Brillante
Konzertstuck

Benjamin Frith, piano
RTE Sinfonietta
Proinnsias O'Duinn
Naxos, 1995

2 channel system: Parasound JC 1+ Mono Amplifiers; Luxman C900u preamp; Acoustech PH-1P phono preamp; VPI Classic, Ortofon A90; Esoteric K-03 & Vacuum State GMBH modified Sony ES5400 SACD/CD; REVEL Ultima Salon 2; Shunyata EVEREST, Shunyata Sigma V2 XC, Shunyata Sigma & Alpha, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse Series 7 IC's,Phono Cables are Tellurium Q Silver Diamond, Audience, Lessloss, Acrolink, Teresonic Silver EXP, Tellurium Q Silver Diamond speaker cables; HyperSpike HS-5 rack;Stillpoints Ultra 5 V2 under amps & preamp