Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 01-26-2015, 01:00 AM

An old treasure this evening:
Brahms Violin Concerto
David Oistrakh
George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra
EMI - His Master's Voice ASD 2525 (UK pressing), 1970

Oistrakh is a joy on this piece, stately and beautiful, never rushed or over-zealous. I always feel with Oistrakh that it's about the music, not about him as with some of our more modern stars. The recording is good overall, although a little flat compared to more modern recordings, and at times Oistrakh's violin has a slightly nasal tone.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-26-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Schubert - Piano Works 1822-1828
Alfred Brendel

Very good sound and of course Brendel is excellent.
Now listening to Sonata No 20 in D, wonderful music
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-26-2015, 02:29 PM

I'm listening to Mozart's Requiem, Ricardo Muti. The Esoteric SACD version. EXCELLENT.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
More goodies from Presto...

Couperin, F: Apothéoses
Amandine Beyer (violin)
Gli incogniti

This was reviewed by Gramophone in the Nov 2014 issue, but somehow I missed it. Thankfully John (Toccata) recommended it and he has good taste. I can confirm that the disc is a charmer with a lively chamber performance from a reduced number of players from Gli incogniti. The recording is immediate, full-bodied and crystal clear. My only gripe is that disc only lasts 57min34s.
I'm glad you like it. It's hard to imagine that they'd make a disappointing recording! I agree that the playing time is a bit short; surely they could have found another 20 minutes' worth of music. Still, it's a lovely recording.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:45 PM

It's hard to go wrong with this combo of musicians! Very good sound as well.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:27 PM

OK, I came across this recording on another site, and when I discovered it was selling for $75 new and $500 used, I thought forget it! I then found an MP3 for free and shamelessly downloaded it! This is quite a delightful disc, full of works that I've never heard before. Some seem highly virtuosic, but whoever plays them (there are several cellists listed, and without access to the booklet, I don't know who plays what!) They are written for various combinations of solo and duo cellos, some accompanied by harpsichord or organ, and several combinations thereof! Very detailed and realistic sound. The downside is that I have a 74-minute single track, so I will definitely acquire the disc when I can find it for a more reasonable price!

Old 01-26-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
OK, I came across this recording on another site, and when I discovered it was selling for $75 new and $500 used, I thought forget it! I then found an MP3 for free and shamelessly downloaded it! This is quite a delightful disc, full of works that I've never heard before. Some seem highly virtuosic, but whoever plays them (there are several cellists listed, and without access to the booklet, I don't know who plays what!) They are written for various combinations of solo and duo cellos, some accompanied by harpsichord or organ, and several combinations thereof! Very detailed and realistic sound. The downside is that I have a 74-minute single track, so I will definitely acquire the disc when I can find it for a more reasonable price!
I haven't downloaded it but it's available for download from eclassical.com in 24 bit flac for $19.89.http://www.eclassical.com/24bit/gabr...oloncello.html
Old 01-26-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
I haven't downloaded it but it's available for download from eclassical.com in 24 bit flac for $19.89.eClassical - Gabrielli: La Nascita del Violoncello
Thank you--that's a much better deal. I still won't have the booklet, but I can print the back cover so I at least know which piece is playing! By the way, I don't do much hi-rez downloading, so would it be better to burn the tracks onto a DVD to better preserve the resolution? Or, should I just copy them to a USB drive and play them on my Oppo? (I don't think my Esoteric will directly play USB files.)

Last edited by Toccata; 01-26-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:49 PM
Life is beautiful

Default Elgar tonight

First this:

It's all good on this disc, but the short piece Elegy, Op. 58 is oh so beautiful...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-26-2015, 05:57 PM
Life is beautiful

Default Elgar tonight

Then this:

Nimrod, Enigma Variation 9, is an overwhelmingly powerful piece, catapulted every year in Klara's Top 100***.

The 2 discs give good sound and performances are sold for 1 penny or a bit more.

*** Poll held by our classical radio station every year. Every listener can send his own top 10.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables