AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 11-09-2021, 09:01 PM

H61TM-ITX is the motherboard - it may have been mentioned earlier. I created an eBay notification for it 3 years ago, for fear of this exact issue with the mb100 - not one move has been listed for sale unfortunately.

Hopefully they can fix yours from parts they have in stock.

It’s worth mentioning, I call Mac every few months to inquire about the flash security update that autonomic gave to their mms-5a over a year ago. Nothing yet. I’m intrigued by Mac’s decision to keep delaying this important update. Keep in mind, you can buy the mms-5a for a few hundred bucks on eBay, and fully update the software to take advantage of all the new features which make it a great deal…

I bought a few mms-5a to play around with. Golucid, maybe keep us posted on your mobo issues and we can see if my mms-5a has one that’ll work for you.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
One of my two MB100s opted to fail. The system hung up on 'Processing' and would not boot up.

I suspect the issue is with the MOBO.

I verified this by returning the system to the original unaltered configuration, including the original never used factory SSD and Spinner drive. I also returned the original ram back into the unit.

I made an additional attempt to boot the unit, and the MB100 remained at 'Processing.'

I contacted McIntosh and was provided an RMA. As of today, the unit is in at the McIntosh Factory.

I suspect it may take weeks or months to receive the unit repaired, if possible.

I am guessing the MB100 could now be at an age that owners may begin to experience failures.

I had the same issue a couple of months ago. I imaged the drives, re-seated ram, cmos, ssds, replaced sata cords with no success. All this time, it was never hooked up to a monitor (I use the iPad app for GUI). I decided to check the BIOS as a last resort. It turned out, all this time, it was booting to BIOS screen to confirm something which I forgot what it was. Because it wasn’t connected to a TV, I never saw that and it sat at processing. I needed to press F1 to continue. I hooked up a USB keyboard and did that. It’s been working as it should since then. Do you have yours connected to a TV?
Old 11-10-2021, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gershon View Post
H61TM-ITX is the motherboard - it may have been mentioned earlier. I created an eBay notification for it 3 years ago, for fear of this exact issue with the mb100 - not one move has been listed for sale unfortunately.

Hopefully they can fix yours from parts they have in stock.

It’s worth mentioning, I call Mac every few months to inquire about the flash security update that autonomic gave to their mms-5a over a year ago. Nothing yet. I’m intrigued by Mac’s decision to keep delaying this important update. Keep in mind, you can buy the mms-5a for a few hundred bucks on eBay, and fully update the software to take advantage of all the new features which make it a great deal…

I bought a few mms-5a to play around with. Golucid, maybe keep us posted on your mobo issues and we can see if my mms-5a has one that’ll work for you.
I was told to check back in a month for the new update. It’s been a month already. I will give them another month and email again.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by substance View Post
I decided to check the BIOS as a last resort.
"D'oh"!!!!

MOBO 101. Check BIOS and it could be time to replace that pesky CMOS Battery too. And, yes, I do have a means to connect a mouse, keyboard and the unit to a TV.

Oh boy, I lost my edge.

I hope the fix is simple and doable. Otherwise, I donated $199 to to UPS LOL
Old 11-14-2021, 04:26 PM

Anyone able to use the iPhone or iPad app today? Both my iPhone and iPad aren’t able to connect to my MB100. I can go to the config page on the web browser no problem.
Old 11-14-2021, 05:22 PM

Hi Substance. I own two MB100 units. Each of the units is in each of my two homes.

I am at one of the homes where I recently mailed the MB100 to McIntosh headquarters for inspection and, if need be, repair.

I am doubtful I will hear from McIntosh anytime soon and would not be without reason that they may not return this unit until sometime in 2022.

Once I go to my other home, I can test the working MB100 with my Galaxy Tablet, Galaxy S10+, iPad, and iPhone.

I expect to rendezvous at my other home the first week of January, and if you have not sorted the issue, I can test then.

I hope this is a temporary phenomenon.

Last edited by Golucid; 11-14-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Hi Substance. I own two MB100 units. Each of the units is in each of my two homes.

I am at one of the homes where I recently mailed the MB100 to McIntosh headquarters for inspection and, if need be, repair.

I am doubtful I will hear from McIntosh anytime soon and would not be without reason that they may not return this unit until sometime in 2022.

Once I go to my other home, I can test the working MB100 with my Galaxy Tablet, Galaxy S10+, iPad, and iPhone.

I expect to rendezvous at my other home the first week of January, and if you have not sorted the issue, I can test then.

I am hoping this is specific to my setup only. My Control4 can not connect either. This is very unfortunate. I really wanted very much to love this streamer.

If MB100 turns out to be a boat anchor, I might give a try to the built in apps on the Control4 controller (EA5-V2)which I hear are very reliable.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:

Last year, 2021, I returned to one of my homes and experienced the same issue as my other MB100.

The CMOS battery failed.

Noteworthy, the battery did an excellent job lasting from 2015 until 2021.

Fortunately, back in 2015, I made screenshots of all the BIOS settings and reconfirmed them in 2021.

I replaced the CMOS battery and connected a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I booted up into the BIOS and confirmed the settings.

I rebooted the MB100, and immediately began streaming music again.

Meanwhile, I do need to request that McIntosh Labs return my other MB100 to me. They have offered to update the unit to the new forthcoming OS, and I question the update as I have relative control over the device as it stands. Dated as the OS is, there is a fair amount of flexibility.

I am reasonably concerned that the new OS very well may cripple those freedoms.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:53 AM

"They have offered to update the unit to the new forthcoming OS"

Awesome news...sounds like it's coming soon.

I bought a few MMS-5A's to play around with, and the new software is significantly better, and more secure. Too much to list here.

Cheers
Old 02-06-2022, 12:01 PM

Default Adobe Flash Player 32.0.0.371 without lockout/timebomb

I still use the McIntosh MB100 for music streaming.

I use both Android and Apple smartphone and tablet devices, and at this point, the MB100 smart device apps continue to operate and interface.

The Adobe Flash Player web GUI interface lockout/timebomb launched in 2021.

While I am not a fan of Flash by any means, I still actively use Flash for the MB100.

Yes, there is a workaround, and it is simple. Use Adobe Flash Player 32.0.0.371

I tend to save install versions not only for intelligent device apps. But also both Windows and macOS software install versions. In this way, if I don't like the change, I can roll back a version or more.

You can find Adobe Flash Player 32.0.0.371 without the lockout/timeout easily. As an option, visit archive [dot] org and locate a copy of the Adobe Flash Player 32.0.0.371 for both Windows and macOS. Note: You will need to efficiently uninstall all Adobe Flash Player files' editions before installing version 32.0.0.371 to ensure that all the lockout/timeout files are not referenced.