AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 01-21-2023, 03:32 PM
Retired

Default Kindle Anyone?

Just upgraded my Kindle from my 12yr old Paperwhite (I was quite surprised that it is almost 13yr old - never a problem other than the hassle of the old USB power configuration). Got the newest model it has 4X the memory of the old one, 1" less screen height, 1/5th the weight and 3X the battery life between charges. Going to be so easy to travel with.

All that said, I far prefer to hold & read a "real" book with pages and maps & pictures, etc. A book for reading is akin to LPs for listening. At least for me.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-21-2023, 04:35 PM

The wife and I have used Kindle for years and love them. Our current ones are a couple of years old but still work great. Battery life is a real plus on them. We have a library of over 700 books.
My System: Amp-McIntosh MC611(2) :Pre-McIntosh C2700, MP1100 :CD/SACD-McIntosh MCD600 :Speakers-McIntosh XR100 :Power Controller-McIntosh MPC1500 :Turntable-VPI HW40 Ortofon Cadenza Black :Cables-Morrow PH5,MA5 and Elite Speaker Cables :Headphones-McIntosh MPH1000 :Record Cleaner Klaudio KD-CLN-LP200T
Thanks,
Bill
Old 01-21-2023, 11:16 PM

I use Kobo (anagram for book) - same e-ink screen as Kindle and Nook, (and better software than Nook) - just not in the Amazon ecosystem. Easier to interface with local library ('Overdrive'). Great for late night reading; does not replace the real thing. The newer models have a great feature where the light color changes from white to amber at night. Very nice.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:07 AM

My mother-in-law is getting up in age and she loves to read but her eyes are failing. For a few years there she was getting depressed due to not being able to read books until I came up with the idea of buying a kindle for her for Christmas. Now I’m the favorite son-in-law. My wife is an only child. Lol. Really it was life saving for her because she reads that much.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500