AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-05-2023, 09:32 AM

Like McMan, I am C22/MC275, and I cannot imagine ever switching to something else, except perhaps to add a second MC275 (OK, full disclosure, I expect to demo this next month). The only gear that might be "better" for a tube person is too big for me to house.

Like the OP, I demoed Luxman and Mc SS before buying. Both were very good, but neither could match the tubes for for naturalness and organic feel. "Dry", as noted above, is a fair description of the others.

I have not heard the C8, but it is an obvious step down the pyramid from C22 in terms of specs and sound quality, and I try to choose components with my eyes closed, so would not consider it.

On the original concern about maintenance and other tube headaches--except for replacing tubes preemptively after about 4 years, and having to deal with the heat of the MC275, my amps have been no more taxing than SS. I am always mystified when people complain of tube issues, perhaps they do not affect recent Mc gear the way they have in the past?

So at least for the OP's goal, C22/MC275 is an absolute no-brainer.

Rock on!
Old 01-05-2023, 11:49 AM

I think the C8 gets you close to the performance of the C22.

I love the extra-balanced outputs and the fixed bass and treble knobs. I believe the better power supply (according to audio excellence Canada). They work perfectly when I want a little bump in either direction, mainly if your speakers can't be located precisely where they should be because of the kiddos or wife or kiddos & wife.
Old 01-05-2023, 01:04 PM

@PeterMusic, @McMan

Thank you both, gentlemen. Your comments are invaluable to me. With regard to new tube gear, I have no concerns about maintenance. My MFA components dated back to the mid 1980's and I ran them for decades. Eventually of course, maintenance became a big issue. I had a closet-full of spare tubes and kept buying more "just in case."

The new MAC tube gear requires far fewer tubes. I've got an adequate tube tester. I suspect I'd be quite happy with the C8 and, being a visual person, I like how it matches the MC275. One of the features of the Luxman 550AXII that I appreciate is the bass and treble controls. I'm not sure the added EQ ability of the C22 would be an advantage for me. Just more stuff with which to "fiddle."

I'm awaiting word from a MAC dealer about what they'll offer me on a trade-in for the Lux. I'm reluctant to sell privately but will do so should I decide to proceed with the MAC gear.

Thanks again.
Best,
P

Last edited by Paolo4223; 01-05-2023 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 02:32 PM

Hi Paolo4223,

Because it costs nothing to consider alternatives, you may wish to ponder the C2700 which has a better phono section and more flexibility compared to a C8 or a C22. The phono section has a notably better S/N which can be significant to some listeners with some setups. A decent on-board modular DAC (DA2) comes with the price of admission. You can't go wrong with any of the three, but there is that third tempting option which is the true Swiss Army Knife of preamps.

Happy listening regardless of choice!

Bob
__________________________________________________ ______________
Sources: Clearaudio Jubilee MC/Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9” and Professional Power 24V; McIntosh MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: McIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes with Acoustic Diodes Headphones: McIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent SBL2 XLR GEN 6 balanced and SSC8 GEN 6 speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record and CD maintenance : Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; L’Art du Son CD treatment.
Old 01-05-2023, 05:31 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bubeck View Post
Hi Paolo4223,

Because it costs nothing to consider alternatives, you may wish to ponder the C2700 which has a better phono section and more flexibility compared to a C8 or a C22. The phono section has a notably better S/N which can be significant to some listeners with some setups. A decent on-board modular DAC (DA2) comes with the price of admission. You can't go wrong with any of the three, but there is that third tempting option which is the true Swiss Army Knife of preamps.

Happy listening regardless of choice!

Bob
__________________________________________________ ______________
Sources: Clearaudio Jubilee MC/Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9” and Professional Power 24V; McIntosh MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: McIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes with Acoustic Diodes Headphones: McIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent SBL2 XLR GEN 6 balanced and SSC8 GEN 6 speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record and CD maintenance : Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; L’Art du Son CD treatment.
Thanks, Bob,
Thanks Bob,
The C2700 looks to be a heckuva preamp. I think it has more features than I need at this point but I'm of the "rarely say never" persuasion. There may be a special package out there with my name on it.
__________________________________________________ _____