AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Klipsch Speakers

Klipsch Speakers Power. Detail. Emotion.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:56 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Default La Scala

I had a pair of these in the late 80’s, maybe early 90’s purchased at the Submarine Base Pearl Harbor Naval Exchange.

I like how the present themselves from an aesthetic view, I have not heard them in over 30 years.

Photo from MD

IMG_1972.jpg

Last edited by jdandy; 07-05-2019 at 08:37 AM. Reason: enlarge photo
Old 05-17-2019, 11:10 AM

I've SOMETIMES heard La Scalas sound awesome, but?

I could never manage to sit through an entire movie on the campus theater at New Mexico Tech, because they used La Scalas (hung from the ceiling), and had them running so terribly bright that it hurt my ears. This was 1987/1988 timeframe.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:55 AM

Well, this topic rattled my cage. I have had a pair of LaScala's since 1978. They have been my reference speakers for the past 41 years. That may seem unrealistic but I have two confessions to make. First because of a certain horn loaded subwoofer I became permanently committed to the LaScala's which are matching satellites. ( long story here ) This set me on an audio path that focused my efforts on maximizing the strengths of horn loaded systems and minimizing or eliminating the liabilities. All this goes to say my LaScala's are far from stock.
Second confession: I have not heard new LaScala's other than briefly in a Chicagoland showroom.
One can certainly find the occasional reviewer with positive things to say about them and other Klipsch heritage speakers.
My musical preferences lean towards jazz and blues, but include a wide variety of others
Two thumbs up from me.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:01 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
Well, this topic rattled my cage. I have had a pair of LaScala's since 1978. They have been my reference speakers for the past 41 years. That may seem unrealistic but I have two confessions to make. First because of a certain horn loaded subwoofer I became permanently committed to the LaScala's which are matching satellites. ( long story here ) This set me on an audio path that focused my efforts on maximizing the strengths of horn loaded systems and minimizing or eliminating the liabilities. All this goes to say my LaScala's are far from stock.
Second confession: I have not heard new LaScala's other than briefly in a Chicagoland showroom.
One can certainly find the occasional reviewer with positive things to say about them and other Klipsch heritage speakers.
My musical preferences lean towards jazz and blues, but include a wide variety of others
Two thumbs up from me.

Wow 41 years is a very long time, good to hear your still enjoying them!
Old 05-23-2019, 11:09 PM

One of the nice things about Klipsch Heritage speakers is the plethora of options available for upgrades. Like hot rodding a mustang or a Camaro, one has all kinds of options for modern horns, drivers, and every crossover option imaginable, both passive and active. Once you have those dialed in satisfactorily the amplifier world is your oyster. Tube, solid state, flea power, elephant power, home made, custom made, its all great fun.
G.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:55 AM

For smaller discos we sold many sets of La Scala supplemented by either MWM-s or double 18" woofers from Altec EV or JBL. They did really well. Some times we used just the lower section of split La Scalas as mid woofers combined with either Altec or JBL Horns and sub woofers. They were used as playback speakers in Choir rooms and rooms where money was tight. They worked very well in small chapels and Sanctuaries. , We installed a few in Comic Strips using Hersey as fill speakers. I never could under stand using them in home systems with Cornwalls being available. I'd willing give up 3 or 4 db of sensitivity for the era one octave of bass extension. I gave up another 3 db for speakers to almost reach 20 HZ. The difference is just amazing to have extended bass as a foundation to build upon. What's a Symphony without Double bass and Tuba. Or a Slavic mens choir with out the contra bass voices. Can you imagine a Jazz group without a Bass Guitar or Double bass, I can't. How about a large classical organ playing Bach with out the pedal notes. Nope, a La Scala does what it can very well, but bass is not its forte. So give me Klipschorns or Cornwalls instead. Better yet a Belle in the center flanked by two Klipschorns on a long wall.

Last edited by TWInsall; 07-05-2019 at 01:59 AM.