AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tuners

Tuners FM, HD, Satellite

Old 04-16-2022, 10:53 AM

KFOG in San Fran in the 80s-90s
Old 04-16-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
That's a great station with a rich history! I think the only way to stream a station like that on an Aurender is to actually stream to something like an iPad or phone, and then use Airplay to send it to the Aurender.
Thanks. After I posted the question I did some more digging. It seems if I can find the URL I can use Aurender’s SHOUTcast:

Browsing Internet Radio Stations

Tap the Lightning SHOUTcast icon shown in the screenshot below to access the Internet Radio function.

Recommended Stations

Aurender has curated several hand-picked Internet radio station recommendations for your enjoyment.

Top 500 Stations

Top 500 Stations are listed based on number of listeners world wide.

Browse by Genre

Tap the "Browse by Genre" tab to browse Shoutcast Internet radio stations based on genre.

In case a desired radio station is not available through SHOUTcast, you can also add a custom internet radio station of your choosing as a Favorite. Tap the "plus" icon to bring up a window to add the station.

Type in the name of the internet radio station in the "Name" section, and enter the streaming URL* for the internet radio station in the "URL" section. Then, tap the "Save" button to save the station as a Custom Favorite.

*Sometimes it can be difficult to find the streaming URL of the station you're trying to add. Typically, the stream URL will end in .pls, .mp3, .m3u, or similar.
Sound Lab 745s, AtmaSphere MA1s, 2 Rythmik 12SE subs, 1 dual 10" DIY sub, Parasound JC2 pre, Aurender S10, Holo Audio May DAC, Oppo 105, DIY Lenco L75, Wavestream Kinetics tube phono stage, Shunyata loom
Old 04-16-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
... After I posted the question I did some more digging. It seems if I can find the URL I can use Aurender’s SHOUTcast ...
Sometimes it can be difficult to find the streaming URL of the station you're trying to add. Typically, the stream URL will end in .pls, .mp3, .m3u, or similar.
Yes, but not all streaming stations use those formats. WXRT is owned by Audacy (rebranded from Entercom) and I'm 99 percent sure they use a proprietary platform. Given the low bitrate of those streamed stations, you won't lose any fidelity using Airplay.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 04-16-2022, 05:23 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
KUT, Austin, Texas in the early 80s. God, I loved that station.

For a while, AM-1690 here in Atlanta was awesome. Crappy AM signal, but awesome content. Went belly up last year.

For a generation or so here in Atlanta, WRFG - entirely community run and operated. Pretty good, but not great sound quality, but awesome content. I am particularly fond of bluegrass and Americana and they play lots of it, with a very refined content selection.

I really miss good radio. I was dumb enough to invest big bucks in a great tuner just a few years ago (magnum Dynalab, MD108T SE). I love it and listen to it several nights a week, but admit that it is wretched excess and an investment in a fading medium.

KUT is still going strong today and if you have tune in radio you can stream it.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankkor View Post
KFOG in San Fran in the 80s-90s
+1. Another 'Foghead'. Moved to Boston in 2000. 'The River' station in Boston is great, but not quite the KFOG legend (yet).
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 04-17-2022, 11:38 AM

WBT (clear channel 50,000 watts AM) Charlotte in the late '50s to mid-60s. This was before the rise of FM. They played terrific soft jazz at night. I believe WBT was one of the first three radio stations in the US. When traveling across the country to California summer 1962, WBT kept me company at night all the way into New Mexico in my '60 Chevy.

Last edited by GSOphile; 04-17-2022 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-17-2022, 02:26 PM

My favorite radios station of all time was WZMF-FM from Menominee Falls, WI. In the late 60 and 70s they featured album length Progressive Rock that I still love today.
Old 04-17-2022, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
KUT is still going strong today and if you have tune in radio you can stream it.

I listen to KUT via Sonos in the kitchen and stuff all of the time. My buddy gave me a long sleeve kut t shirt he got during a fundraiser and it has been my good luck shirt to this day (bar exam, etc., et al).

Great station - I was in Austin in the early 80s - quite a different scene than one has now, but still great radio.