AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 11-21-2021, 03:56 PM

Default WallyTools and WallyReference

I am waiting for delivery to upgrade from my current VPI Classic 2 to VPI Prime Signature 21 in rosewood.
https://www.vpiindustries.com/store/...nature_21.html
I used the standard tools (with the exception of a good tonearm scale) that came with the VPI Classic to set up the TT.
I saw that the WallyTools had received a good review on Stereophile magazine from Michael Fremer. I looked thru the YouTube videos and it seems like a fairly basic tool, which back in the day I probably would manufacture something similar to work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofnNhRYFB1I

But now, I just buy the item.
I wanted to know if anyone had experience with this or a similar tool to set up a TT and how did it go? Obviously Mr. Fremer likes the tool and has extensive experience in setting up a TT. So, if he likes it, it should be good, but $300 for a simple part like that seems extreme.
I just was hoping for another opinion before I order one.
Thanks in advance,
Fred
Old 11-21-2021, 11:49 PM

I went ahead and ordered the reference set.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:57 PM

By coincidence, I just ordered the same thing last night.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 11-22-2021, 10:16 PM
Retired

Please keep us posted of your thoughts once you have some 'run time' on your WallyTools.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-23-2021, 05:20 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

I used the original Wally Reference and now have the new one from JR Boisclair who is running Wally Tools with Wally's son. Both are excellent with the new Reference assuring the headshell is parallel to the record in all dimensions - assuming your tonearm has VTA and Azimuth adjustment. You still need a protractor to do the alignment.

https://www.wallyanalog.com/wallyreference
Old 11-23-2021, 09:36 AM

I will report how it works.
In my old house I had the stereo system in the family room/breakfast room/kitchen with ceramic tile all over the floor. Now I have a dedicated room, albeit smaller, that is carpeted with GIK panels, Bass Traps, etc.. My phono system is amazing! This is why I am doing the upgrade to the VPI Prime Signature 21. I never thought that vinyl could sound so much better than or equal to MQA streaming music. It is a thrill to hear my old albums from college again.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:19 PM

Default WallyTools and WallyReference

Last weekend I used the new WallyReference to verify VTA on my Rega P9 with Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum. When Sound Organization (Rega distributor) shipped the table to my dealer, they had installed 2 x 2mm shims on the arm. Using the WallyReference I verified that the cartridge height is 16mm - I’m assuming Sound Org thought Koetsus are 18mm like Lyra, Ortofon and many others. Rega carts are 14mm, which is what their arms are set up for by default. After removing one shim, the headshell, and by default the top of the Koetsu, are perfectly level on a 180g album. Another 30 minutes spent re-tweaking alignment with the Feickert protractor, and the setup is about as perfect as I'm going to get it. It had been sounding very good before, but with just a little edge and brightness that I thought might be breakin. The VTA adjustment has completely cured that, and with about 40 hours of breakin, this setup is sounding just amazing - all the usual hyperboles apply. I know others (e.g. Michael Fremer and J.D. Bosclair) recommend microscopic analysis to determine individual cartridge parameters to fine tune VTA, zenith and azimuth, but that’s a bridge too far for me. The WallyReference was a worthwhile investment.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 12-07-2021 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Last weekend I used the new WallyReference to verify VTA on my Rega P9 with Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum. When Sound Organization (Rega distributor) shipped the table to my dealer, they had installed 2 x 2mm shims on the arm. Using the WallyReference I verified that the cartridge height is 16mm - I’m assuming Sound Org thought Koetsus are 18mm like Lyra, Ortofon and many others. Rega carts are 14mm, which is what their arms are set up for by default. After removing one shim, the headshell, and by default the top of the Koetsu, are perfectly level on a 180g album. Another 30 minutes spent re-tweaking alignment with the Feickert protractor, and the setup is about as perfect as I'm going to get it. It had been sounding very good before, but with just a little edge and brightness that I thought might be breakin. The VTA adjustment has completely cured that, and with about 40 hours of breakin, this setup is sounding just amazing - all the usual hyperboles apply. I know others (e.g. Michael Fremer and J.D. Bosclair) recommend microscopic analysis to determine individual cartridge parameters to fine tune VTA, zenith and azimuth, but that’s a bridge too far for me. The WallyReference was a worthwhile investment.

I’ll likely meet up with JD Bosclair soon to have his WAM engineering review my 3 of my cartridges for variances from perfect stylus alignment due to inconsistencies in manufacturing alignment of stylus and cantilever. His reports will tell me how much to compensate/adjust in order to get the stylus groove alignment correct.

I’ll also pickup many of his tools. I’m hoping he’ll show me how to use an oscilloscope to measure crosstalk.