AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 12-27-2014, 12:54 PM

Default New Maxx loudspeaker

There has been almost no activity on the Wilson site so I thought I would begin a discussion regarding what the new Maxx might be like. Please chime in with thoughts. The question for me is an updated Maxx vs. (surprise!) a ML Neolith. MY dealer recently picked up ML. I heard the ML Ethos and I liked what I heard very much. I have always had a soft spot for panels.

My Maxx3 is the best balanced speaker I have ever heard. I can hear no flaw it. How can Wilson significantly improve the new Maxx? The only things I can think of are lower distortion, better resolving power, more dynamic range/ power handling capacity. But as far as balance is concerned, I honestly can't say that I prefer Maxx bass to Maxx treble or that the midrange is the superior of the other two.

How could the old Maxx3 be improved? 1) larger bass cabinet with updated woofers resulting in more low frequency power and extension. Maxx3 woofers are 16 years old 2) updated crossover 3) newest cabinet materials employed throughout 4) the new tweeter 5) improved geometry of the head pieces

I would estimate that this might effect a 5-10% improvement in the sound with a speaker approaching but still not quite reaching or exceeding Alexandria 2 sound quality. What do you think?
Old 12-27-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There has been almost no activity on the Wilson site
That's because they've been working on a new WAMM, which will be shown at the 2015 CES. A presentation will be conducted by David Wilson and will show the future direction of the speakers.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:50 PM

I don't know much about the maxx, but the new tweeter will certainly be a huge improvement. When I went from Sasha one to the two, I honestly thought there was no way the original could be improved upon. But as soon as they plopped the new ones down, my jaw hit the ground! Way smoother integration between mid and tweeter, as well as non fatiguing but super detailed highs.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLK View Post
That's because they've been working on a new WAMM, which will be shown at the 2015 CES. A presentation will be conducted by David Wilson and will show the future direction of the speakers.
Do you mean for the whole Wilson line? I am a little familiar with the WAMM. I don't see how, since it is so different from rest of the lineup, that it could indicate very much regarding the future direction of the XLF, MAXX, etc. It reminds me of the Magico Ultimate loudspeaker which is a horn based system with a built in subwoofer. Just as the Ultimate is very different from the Q7, I believe the WAMM will be quite different from the rest of the Wilson line. I suspect the WAMM will be the Ultimate's competition.

I think that the new MAAX for me to be interested needs to be a complete re-redesign, not just a new tweeter. Most folks who own Alexandria's really like the treble. I'm not totally sure but I probably would not go for the same platform with just a new tweeter. Are their any current Maxx3 owners out there who have any thoughts?
Old 12-28-2014, 01:39 AM

No doubt will include cross load firing port system of Alexandria XLF
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 12-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Lifetime audio addict!

I went back and forth about which speaker to order Alexia's or Maxx 3's, and I ended up ordering a new pair of Maxx 3's in diamond black about three weeks ago! Member PLK basically nailed it, Wilson's priority has been towards the WAMM right now. I even called and confirmed with them before ordering the pair. It was relayed to me by a reliable source and confirmed by one who would know. There are no plans for changing it as of now. I also asked about using the Coincident tweeter in the future. I so wanted to buy my dealers demo pair of XLF's, but too hard to convince myself.
Speakers Wilson Audio Maxx 3
Cables Transparent Reference Gen 5
Equipment rack and amp stands HRS
Power conditioning Transparent
Power outlets GTX-D(G) Gold-Plated duplex receptacles dedicated 20 amp lines.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:10 PM

Congrats on your new Maxxes!
Enjoy.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp 1080 View Post
I went back and forth about which speaker to order Alexia's or Maxx 3's, and I ended up ordering a new pair of Maxx 3's in diamond black about three weeks ago! Member PLK basically nailed it, Wilson's priority has been towards the WAMM right now. I even called and confirmed with them before ordering the pair. It was relayed to me by a reliable source and confirmed by one who would know. There are no plans for changing it as of now. I also asked about using the Coincident tweeter in the future. I so wanted to buy my dealers demo pair of XLF's, but too hard to convince myself.
Well, absolute congrats on your purchase! The problem, if you can call it a problem, is that the Maxx3 is a wonderful loudspeaker. I find the comment regarding the cross port intriguing. A speaker with a cross port with larger woofers, say 12" and 14", larger bass cabinet, improved head geometry, and the new tweeter, now that would be a speaker, indeed! I would like to see a new speaker, that is, a new platform with new bass drivers. The cross port comment is very interesting. Hadn't thought of that.

Last edited by Charles; 12-30-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:08 AM

New Tweeter - please not the current soft dome which IMO is a sideways move not a game changing step forward. Beryllium tweeter seems to be working extremely well on quite a few of Wilson's competitors.
Personally, I have zero interest in the new dome tweeter. I have heard it on the Alexia and Sasha and meh. Despite chatter, neither will move me from the Maxx3's. A different brand would be down the track if Wilson stick with boring meh dome tweeter.

Can you actually design a sealed unit that can also be a bass reflex depending on room? Wilson mid bass bump needs to be controlled better, so thinking out aloud.

Maintain the Wilson adjustability, however make it easier to control the bass output to suit rooms - outboard crossover? As well as the current ability to change mid and treble if needed through the resistors.

Last edited by turntable; 12-31-2014 at 03:17 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
New Tweeter - please not the current soft dome which IMO is a sideways move not a game changing step forward. Beryllium tweeter seems to be working extremely well on quite a few of Wilson's competitors.
Personally, I have zero interest in the new dome tweeter. I have heard it on the Alexia and Sasha and meh. Despite chatter, neither will move me from the Maxx3's. A different brand would be down the track if Wilson stick with boring meh dome tweeter.

Can you actually design a sealed unit that can also be a bass reflex depending on room? Wilson mid bass bump needs to be controlled better, so thinking out aloud.

Maintain the Wilson adjustability, however make it easier to control the bass output to suit rooms - outboard crossover? As well as the current ability to change mid and treble if needed through the resistors.
Regarding the tweeter, current technology does not allow a tweeter that has a 1,000 to 50,000 Hz range. The new tweeter is 1,000 to about 33,000. I think there may be a bias against soft domes thinking they may not have quite the last bit of resolution and openness we so value in the treble. I heard the Alexia treble extensively and I could not fault it. The cymbal decay was perfect.

The only thing I can fault in the current Maxx3 is the lack of ultimate resolution, i.e. lower distortion. However, McIntosh (which I use) has never been known for the property of ultimate resolution either. Fact is, the current Maxx3 is a tremendous loudspeaker. I think your ideas are good: improved version of the soft dome and bass/midrange/treble/adjustability. I want bigger newer woofers and a bigger bass cabinet, improved head geometry and updated crossovers.

Last edited by Charles; 12-31-2014 at 11:11 AM.