Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 11-07-2010, 11:28 AM

Default AES Report

Sent: November-06-10 8:26 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Update from aes

Hi james,

I went to a seminar today at AES in San Fran on the current state of High Resolution Computer Audio. The panel was impressive, featuring leading figures in digital audio from DTS, Lynx, DCS and Weiss.

They all spoke very well. I came away convinced that audio from a computer is still very much a a major headache.

But I also came away even more convinced that the Bryston BDP-1 is exactly right for today's current state of affairs. Perfect in fact. I look forward to talking more with you about it soon.

David
Old 11-11-2010, 02:53 PM

Default UK - first impression

BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
Old 11-12-2010, 12:34 PM

Default Bdp-1 dealer feedback

MEMO - Bryston Dealer Feedback
SUBJECT – New Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player

Hi James:

I just wanted to pass along a few initial thoughts on first contact with the Bryston BDP 1.

First, let me say that I was quite skeptical of the practicality and usability of this device. Would it be inconvenient to use? Would it really sound better than other high-end digital devices that promise nirvana? Perhaps it was that skepticism that has caused be to be so blown away by the BDP-1. I was simply startled by how much better it was than any digital source I have previously heard. I might add that it sounds astoundingly good not just on the lovely 96/24 sampler you provided but, more importantly, on my existing 44/16 rips that make up most of our music libraries. There was a sense of analog ease to everything I played. I have recently retreated to the inconvenience but wonderfull sound of vinyl and largely abandoned my CD collection. There just seemed to be something missing.

Not only does the BDP 1 elicit that "missing something" from any digital file I played but I found its convenience to be very close to that of a traditional music server, but with a whole new level of performance. The many choices of control devices (I am married to the convenience of remote control) are well chosen and easy to set up and operation with my iPhone was particularly smooth and quick.

I have had the chance to hear most of the mega buck CD players out there and I believe the BDP 1 is superior at a fraction of the cost. My BDA 1 DAC seems a particularly satisfying combination, naturally enough.

You have produced a particularly brave product here. It requires substantial customer education to make sure that they understand what it is and what it isn't. In the end, once you "get it" however, it seems a particularly sensible and intuitive device that I believe points the way for the future of digital music enjoyment.

Thanks for a job well done.

Regards
Lee Fitzgerald
Commercial Electronics
Old 11-14-2010, 02:44 PM

Default Dealer Feedback

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK

James,

My customer has his new BDP1 hooked up and is thrilled with the sound ,the quality, and ease of use. Although he was not liking the new buttons till I had him run his fingers over them with his eyes closed to see what a a smooth transition it was from button to button. He is using BP Poweramp to re rip all his HD music.

He was using the Olive unit and was skeptical on how well the Bryston stacked up to it. Well, The Olive unit is now for sale. I guess that says it all. I will try to get some pics of the setup next week for you to see.

Thanks,
Ralph Schreckengost

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 11-14-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:38 PM

Hi James,

If one were to buy a BDP-1 now, would the future NAS connection feature be addable to the current unit?

Thanks,

~Mike
Old 11-14-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgard View Post
Hi James,

If one were to buy a BDP-1 now, would the future NAS connection feature be addable to the current unit?

Thanks,

~Mike
Hi Mike,

Not sure on that as we are working on making the BDP-1 a NAS.

So you would be able to load files from other computers over the local network to the attached drives on the BDP-1 remotely and without having to disconnect the USB drives from the BDP-1.

james

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 11-14-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
Hi Mike,

Not sure on that as we are working on making the BDP-1 a NAS.

So you would be able to load files from other computers over the local network to the attached drives on the BDP-1remotely and without having to disconect the USB drives from the BDP-1.

james
I should have asked this with my first post. The USB interface, is that the new 3.0 version? I was thinking the BDP-1 would be great using the new SSD USB storage devices. I could keep everything in my main audio cabinet and it would be totally quiet. No whirling hard drives. I also read that the BDP-1 is modular. What parts would be upgradable?

Thanks again
Old 11-14-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgard View Post
I should have asked this with my first post. The USB interface, is that the new 3.0 version? I was thinking the BDP-1 would be great using the new SSD USB storage devices. I could keep everything in my main audio cabinet and it would be totally quiet. No whirling hard drives. I also read that the BDP-1 is modular. What parts would be upgradable?

Thanks again
Hi Mike - we are using USB 2 and for our purposes (processing DATA not steaming ) it is more than enough. Modular in that the CPU, the digital output section and the Soundcard are independent components.

james
Old 11-18-2010, 03:24 PM

Default USB and Chesky

Hi Folks,

Check out the latest issue (Dec 2010) of Absolute Sound Magazine. On page 152 to 154 there is an interview with David Chesky of Chesky Records fame. I was please to see his comment on listening to digital files:

“When I burn CD-R’s and bring them home they sound good. But when I take home a USB drive and plug it in all of a sudden the quality of the entire system goes up 25%. Everything locks in. It’s smoother, and resolution is increased and you hear low level detail. Things don’t sound digital!”

james
Old 11-19-2010, 01:16 PM

Default Distributor Feedback

Distributor Feedback:

Hi Brian and James,

Thanks for the "black" Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player.

It arrived the beginning this week and we been having a go at it.

The result "EXCELLENT".

Performed without a hitch (iPhone, iPad, etc) and the sound with CD rip is impressive to say the least. We have not heard before the BDP-1 existed CD Rips sounding so close to the original CDs on the BCD-1 through the BDA1.

In fact on some occasions we thought the BDP-1 digital Player with the CD rips was better! … could be psychological?

But on High Resolution material, the Bryston BDP-1 really shines!

James Tan
Bryston Distributor,
Malaysia

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 11-19-2010 at 02:15 PM.