AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 03-06-2020, 08:34 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc View Post
Ive read this thread more than once.

Im close to pulling the trigger on yggy.

The USB on the yggy has been updated since this thread was active. What is the general consensus of the best input? I have a self built PC that Im using HDMI out to my mx121. I mostly listen to streaming from youtube music or google play. I know I could do better here but the family package is nice and convenient. We use it to stream movies too. Im trying to keep it simple as I need my teenage son to run this system when Im not around.

So should I run usb to the yggy? Or consider some electronic box between the pc and the yggy in order to clean up the usb or to convert to a other input such as AES or coax?

Thanks
jc
The general consensus by Mike Moffat and Jason at Schiit is that the new Unison USB on Yggy is superior to S/PDIF. My understanding is you will not require a USB re-clocker with an Yggy using the new UNISON USB protocol.

However, whatever you do, I really recommend that you do not run USB (or S/PDIF) directly from your self-built PC to Yggy. This will degrade the sound quailty of any USB DAC. This is particularly true if your PC uses a switch-mode power supply. Use a network bridge or streamer in-between, even the B-stock Sonore microRendu will be a BIG improvement in this regard.

The best thing you can do is to get the PC as far away as possible from your DAC that is in the main audio rack. The old inverse-square law pays big dividends here. Run copper Ethernet (or optical fiber) from your PC to the network bridge, and connect via USB from the network bridge to Yggy.

Control your content via a smart phone or tablet serving as a "remote".

Regarding digital cables: after doing much testing and listening last year, I've come to the conclusion that after power cables, digital cables have the biggest influence on audio quality for digital content music reproduction. Ethernet and USB cables *do* matter and I recommend the Shunyata Ethernet and USB cables based on the comprehensive testing I did last year. Even the entry-level Shunyata Venom Ethernet cable, at $295, is superior to everything I tested, for example.

If you need to make copper or optical fiber connections using an Ethernet switch to your network bridge, I also recommend getting the Uptone Audio EtherREGEN Ethernet switch.

Hope this helps.

PS: Remove any and all SMPS in your digital reproduction chain and replace them with clean linear power supplies, even if its with $11 Jameco Reliapro LPS.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:28 PM

I love my Yggy, and I agree with Puma Cat that cables make a big difference. But that leads me to a different conclusion--try several different cables from your local dealer and go with the one you think sounds best. Also, the Schiits may be brilliant, but I am certain that they are wrong in their general belief that cables do not matter, so I do not accept their USB advice as gospel.

I tried several cables a couple of years ago, and ended up with a Nordost Blue Heaven S/PDIF from a Naim Uniti Core. The interconnects to your pre amp will also make a big difference. I chose Transparent Supers, also after considerable testing.

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2020, 11:27 AM

"""However, whatever you do, I really recommend that you do not run USB (or S/PDIF) directly from your self-built PC to Yggy. This will degrade the sound quailty of any USB DAC. This is particularly true if your PC uses a switch-mode power supply. Use a network bridge or streamer in-between, even the B-stock Sonore microRendu will be a BIG improvement in this regard.

The best thing you can do is to get the PC as far away as possible from your DAC that is in the main audio rack. The old inverse-square law pays big dividends here. Run copper Ethernet (or optical fiber) from your PC to the network bridge, and connect via USB from the network bridge to Yggy."""

The PC is 10 feet away from stereo. So what Im hearing, USB is the way to go. However, not completely clear on the recs. So I get this switch and cables. I dont understand the hookup. So my ethernet cable goes to the switch and the your rec ethernet cable goes from switch to the PC. Then How do I connect to the yggy?

Im sorry if I sound like an idiot.

jc
McIntosh C48 McIntosh MC1201's McIntosh MC275 MonoBlocked X4 McIntosh MC250 X2 McIntosh MC7104 Classic Bob Crites Cornscala DBX Venu360 Technics SL-1200MK2PK Klipsch KP-600s Concert system Schiit Yggdrasil Klipsch Cinema KPT-684's modified Custom PC music player
Old 03-07-2020, 01:07 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
"""However, whatever you do, I really recommend that you do not run USB (or S/PDIF) directly from your self-built PC to Yggy. This will degrade the sound quailty of any USB DAC. This is particularly true if your PC uses a switch-mode power supply. Use a network bridge or streamer in-between, even the B-stock Sonore microRendu will be a BIG improvement in this regard.

The best thing you can do is to get the PC as far away as possible from your DAC that is in the main audio rack. The old inverse-square law pays big dividends here. Run copper Ethernet (or optical fiber) from your PC to the network bridge, and connect via USB from the network bridge to Yggy."""

The PC is 10 feet away from stereo. So what Im hearing, USB is the way to go. However, not completely clear on the recs. So I get this switch and cables. I dont understand the hookup. So my ethernet cable goes to the switch and the your rec ethernet cable goes from switch to the PC. Then How do I connect to the yggy?

Im sorry if I sound like an idiot.

jc
You need a streamer or network bridge that "converts" Ethernet from your music server to a USB (or S/PDIF) output (depending on your DAC). Examples are the Sonore microRendu, UltraRendu, Auralic Aries G1 or G2, SOtM SMS-200 series, AlloBridge, etc.

This diagram may help.

Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:36 PM

This seems like quite a lot of additional gear to get that extra nth percent out of the Yggy (or any DAC). I ran my Yggy from the USB drive almost the entire time I owned it. I did try pairing it with a Schiit Eitr for a few weeks but ended up selling the Eitr as I really couldn't tell a difference on my speakers or headphones.

Jc, it sounds like for your purposes the USB direct from the PC to the Yggy should be more than acceptable. It will keep the system simple and allow everything to be run direct from the PC without the need to switch inputs or fuss with anything else. After all, if you go this route and later decide you're missing something, you can always add to it.

Headphone rig: Gustard X16, Topping A90, Hifiman HE6se, Audeze LCD2
2-Channel setup: Okto Research DAC8 Stereo, Bryston 4Bł, Philharmonic Audio BMR Towers, Dual PSA S152 subs
Old 03-07-2020, 03:39 PM

I think I will start there. Man, I started looking all this stuff and Im really behind the times.
McIntosh C48 McIntosh MC1201's McIntosh MC275 MonoBlocked X4 McIntosh MC250 X2 McIntosh MC7104 Classic Bob Crites Cornscala DBX Venu360 Technics SL-1200MK2PK Klipsch KP-600s Concert system Schiit Yggdrasil Klipsch Cinema KPT-684's modified Custom PC music player
Old 03-07-2020, 04:16 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVass13 View Post
Jc, it sounds like for your purposes the USB direct from the PC to the Yggy should be more than acceptable. It will keep the system simple and allow everything to be run direct from the PC without the need to switch inputs or fuss with anything else. After all, if you go this route and later decide you're missing something, you can always add to it.
Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree.

Personally, I would not recommend connecting any computer directly to a DAC. Via USB or S/PDIF. Even worse is having the computer in or near the audio rack. Especially if that computer uses a switch-mode power supply, which, as far as I know, all of them do. SMPS are insidious in the problems they cause for streamers, network bridges and DACs. In my and many other folks who have a lot of experience with music servers, digital front-ends and streaming, the noise factors that arise from connecting a DAC directly to a computer results in a notable degradation of sound quality.

I could write several paragraphs of information here as to why this not a good idea. In fact, I did; it will be an article that will appear in TAS in the July/August issue.

Suffice it to say there are a a number of reasons why there have been so many network bridges appearing on the market the last few years.

Its like with any other situation where you remove major sources of noise; you don't know how much was there or the impact it had on the sound quality until it is gone.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:24 PM
Retired

Aaaahhhh........... the simplicity & joy of vinyl.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-07-2020, 08:27 PM

The Sonore microRendu and AlloBridge aren't that expensive. If anything, can use one of these and keep my PC out of sight. Then have a long ethernet cable connecting to one of these devices on top of the Yggy.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:38 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
The Sonore microRendu and AlloBridge aren't that expensive. If anything, can use one of these and keep my PC out of sight. Then have a long ethernet cable connecting to one of these devices on top of the Yggy.
Yup, that'll work.

You will also be very pleased with the improvement in sound quality.