AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 06-30-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHV View Post
Help...Updated BDP-1 frmware, switched to Roon ready, signed up Roon, download sftware, added music files, but Roon doesn't list BDP-1 on network but "sees" both apple tv devices on network.

I can log into BDP-1 from same server running Roon, so netwook seems OK...server is latest MacPro "trash can" running latest OSX.

Thoughts?

Steve

Bryston BDP + Roon Labs = LOVE „[UNIQID]
Old 06-30-2016, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the fast reply. I was following the procedures on that page but the BDP wouldn't show up on the Roon audio network. Checked network, rebooted BDP, etc....no luck...finally did the BDP "fix" and disconnected/reconnected power. BDP then showed up on Roon. :>)

Steve
Old 07-01-2016, 11:40 AM

James - Has Bryston ever considered adding an HDMI out to the BDP? Maybe in the next iteration? I'd love to have the interface on my TV vs an iPad. That's the one thing keeping be from buying one and sticking with my OPPO BDP 105.

BTW - I just picked up my 4b3. I'm pumped to get it hooked up, but am waiting for new carpet next week, so everything is packed away right now.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishphan View Post
James - Has Bryston ever considered adding an HDMI out to the BDP? Maybe in the next iteration? I'd love to have the interface on my TV vs an iPad. That's the one thing keeping be from buying one and sticking with my OPPO BDP 105.

BTW - I just picked up my 4b3. I'm pumped to get it hooked up, but am waiting for new carpet next week, so everything is packed away right now.
Great - glad you got the new amplifier - we wait for your assessment.

The next generation I think we would look at HDMI because the new BDP Pi unit has that option as well.

james
Old 07-01-2016, 05:24 PM

Just got it up and running - this could be addictive . . .
Old 07-04-2016, 05:49 PM

Default Wow - what a great discovery ...

I've been playing the BDP through Roon all weekend and it has been great.

Now, I have my entire digital collection consolidated in an easy on the eyes interface. The UI for the BDP always worked just fine, but it just wasn't inviting enough to draw me in. Good sound, but no interaction with my collection. Now, I've got great organization and lots of interesting supplemental information that makes it fun. I had also tried to manage my collection through JRiver and it didn't do it for me either, but these first few days with Roon have reminded me what good UI development can do. That said, I think JRiver offers lots more control (and it's a bit of a different product than Roon), but Roon works really well for me.

Then, I added Tidal and it got really good!! At first, I just tried the "premium" subscription on a trial basis and found it almost unlistenable (just about mp3 quality to my ears). Then, I found out about the "hifi" subscription and gave it a whirl (it costs twice as much), and it's quite listenable. Still not quite good CD/SACD/HiRez/Vinyl quality, but quite listenable. Given its integration with Roon and the vast vast selection available, it's just awesome - all played through the BDP!

Now, I've just got to find a Roon Ready player for my daughter's bedroom (audiophile quality not required - she's happy feeding a bluetooth speaker from target through her phone). When she gets all of this content though via the roon interface, she'll be nuts for it.

Congrats to James and Bryston. Very well done combination of quality sound, user interface, and content.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:04 PM

I am assuming one can use Roon with the BDP-2 when music is only stored and accessed via attached USB HD, music does not have to be stored on a NAS, is that correct?
Old 02-17-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
I am assuming one can use Roon with the BDP-2 when music is only stored and accessed via attached USB HD, music does not have to be stored on a NAS, is that correct?

Music does not have to be stored in a NAS. Music can be stored in your computer hard drive or in any USB drive that is connected to the computer running the Roon Core software.

You need to set Roon to look for music stored in whichever folder you want. You can have music stored in different locations (USB drives, computer main HD, NAS, etc.) and Roon can access all of them.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Music does not have to be stored in a NAS. Music can be stored in your computer hard drive or in any USB drive that is connected to the computer running the Roon Core software.

You need to set Roon to look for music stored in whichever folder you want. You can have music stored in different locations (USB drives, computer main HD, NAS, etc.) and Roon can access all of them.
Nicoff.....Thank you for the confirmation.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:56 PM

My next digital player upgrade will most likely be a Bryston BDP-2 and a T&A DAC 8 DSD.

My requirement is Roon + Tidal and using AES / EBU for PCM, and USB for DSD up to DSD 512, all files stored on attached USB HD, and controlled via IPAD.

It looks like my next upgrade is sorted